“Intimate Italian Dining Experience”
Review of La Campania

La Campania
Ranked #5 of 193 Restaurants in Waltham
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2012

You would never know driving down Main Street in Waltham that such a wonderful place would be tucked in with all the retail stores. The decor is out of this world as they have recreated old style Tuscan dining which is perfect for a romantic dinner for two. They have outside eating as well that is fairly insulated from the sidewalk so you can still soak in the ambiance they so painstakingly created. The food is elegant and for pasta dishes they offer whole and half portions priced accordingly. I had a delicious half portion of crab ravioli along with a salad that left some room for Tiramasu. They also have an extensive wine list as well as a single table in the "wine cellar" for more intimate and private dining. All told a great place hidden in downtown Waltham.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I can see how this place is rated good, but I am not sure about #1.

We rolled in around 8:30pm and were able to get in without reservations. We had actually intended to go to another Italian place down the street which did not have any room.

I had gnocci and my wife had a duck dish. We also ordered a side of broccoli for my 2 year old daughter and it was way past her bedtime. The broccoli was sauteed heavily, into a mush. We had requested steamed but the server said they didn't have steaming capabilities? I don't know this seems like something every restaurant should be able to improvise, especially a high end one. That sort of turned me off.

Moving on, the wine list is absolutely incredible. It took us a long time to decide on a wine, and upon speaking with the server he recommended a bottle which we ended up thoroughly enjoying.

My gnocci was standard in a butter pesto sauce. In fact it was quite good, to the point that I went home and found a recipe to try and make my own. My wife's duck was good but not great, it was a bit unimaginative and didn't look very nice on the plate.

It could have been that it was getting late for my little one and she was not at her best, or the dissapointment of not getting into the place we really wanted, but I was actually very surprised to come onto trip advisor and see this rated as the #1 place in Waltham.

I don't eat out a lot of Italian, the last place I tried was a Maggiano's in Philly....but I would have actually rated the food there better than this.

All in all, the best recommendation I can give is GET A BABYSITTER, but I also wouldn't recommend driving 45 minutes out of Boston to get this meal either even in the best of situations.

2  Thank QC_Phoenix
Reviewed July 27, 2012

You must have a car if you are staying in downtown Boston but it is well worth the drive to Waltham. They make their own bread in their wood burning oven. The pizza is great. However, their salads, pasta and entrees are equally as good. Try the roasted figs. Had a stripped bass that was out if this world. had a pasta with a rabbit sauce that was great. Cannot say enough about the food. Wine list is amazing.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Many great restaurants in the foodie town of Waltham but La Campania is in a class by itself. As soon as you step through the front door you are transformed as if you are dining in a Tuscan farmhouse. The surprises continue with outstanding service, drinks, wine selection and of course the food. The food is exquisite. Ever morsel is to be savoured. Run don't walk to this neighborhood gem. Just be sure you have reservations, even during the week.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Our family visited Waltham for the New England football elite showcase, last week. Three days of pure football at Bentley University. One evening after the combine ended late around 8:30pm, 3 families agreed to find a place close by for a hearty meal. we were 10. I found this restaurant on the Internet and saw that it was highly rated by zagat. We called and asked if we could be accommodated; we also informed them we were not nicely dressed. They were warm and gracious over the phone. We arrived to a place that looked like a house from the outside, once inside we were transported right to Italy. From the moment we arrived, the young man in charge ( I think he was the owner) came to greet us and made us feel very welcomed eventhough we were clearly not dressed for this upscale restaurant. The restaurant is divided into separate rooms, each with 8 tables or so. Very charming and very romantic, but with good ambiance. Our waiter was magnificent, knowing our boys were starving he suggested a couple of appetizers that came out immediately while we sat back and relaxed for the first time all day. The appetizer with asparagus wrapped in prosciutto with mint and lemon vinergarette dressing. My description here does no justice to the plate, was only the first part of a fantastic meal. Don't forget to order the desserts, the souffle and the cobbler were both a 12! I highly recommend a visit to La Campania. You will not be disappointed. I hope to visit Boston again and will surely be back.