“Outstanding food EVERY SINGLE TIME”
Review of Il Capriccio

Il Capriccio
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Capriccio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 193 Restaurants in Waltham
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Prospect St.
Description: Il Capriccio serves a constantly changing Northern Italian menu featuring local products with an award winning Italian wine and Grappa list. Though long considered a local secret, Il Capriccio has been the number one Northern Italian restaurant in Zagat's for the past seven years. The wine list has been featured in Decanter, Sante, Wine & Spirits and Stuff. The same menu is served in the Bar. We like to serve great food and great wine in a comfortable setting.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have been dining here for years and we are now at the point that we don’t want to try any other restaurant.
They change their menu every two months or so and are about to celebrate their 32 year anniversary which is huge accomplishment in the restaurant business.
The owner is friendly as is the hostess and all of the staff.

Some recco’s, not in any specific order:
Tuna Tarter

Chicken Schnitzel
Duck
Bolognese

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We wanted to take another couple to a really nice restaurant as a special thank-you. Il Capriccio did not disappoint. The space is divided into several smaller rooms, so the noise level is comfortable. Extremely knowledgeable and attentive servers. An expansive cellar of Italian wines. And a menu that changes monthly. Recommended: mushroom souffle; prosciutto and pear; mussels; anything bolognese (the real thing); veal chop; lemon souffle. Totally enjoyable start to finish. If you eat well (appetizers, primi, secondi, salad, dessert) and have a nice bottle of wine, it will be dear, but so worth it for special occasion.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Why have we not dined at this award winning restaurant before? Conveniently located on Main Street in Waltham with no trouble parking in the shared lot behind Gordon's liquors. Having eaten in the North End a million times, and struggling with parking and paying valets this gem of a place is perfection!
We started out at the bar because we were early for our reservation and were greeted and served promptly delicious cocktails. Five minutes before our reservation we were seated. The service here in incredibly attentive but not intrusive. We wanted for nothing the entire meal. We started off with the PEI mussels and let me tell you they were the best we have tasted. Having family living on PEI I have had my share of amazing mussels! For the 2nd course my husband had the seafood risotto and it was so delicious he said it was hands down one of the best dishes he has ever had in his life. It had an amazing tomato flavor and tons of seafood. There was more seafood on the plate than rice! My second course was absolutely the best pasta dish I have ever had.The Fettuccine Bolognese was just perfection. Home made pasta and thick meaty Bolognese sauce with parmesan cheese it really doesn't get better than this. For our main course we split it because at this point are appetites were diminishing. We had the rib eye special and it was spectacular with a red wine sauce and roasted veggies. We thought about skipping dessert but decided to split the hazelnut bread pudding with the caramel sauce. It was terrific but not the best I've had. We both ordered mint tea and that was awesome we each had our own little kettle with the loose tea-so good!
If I had any criticism to give it would be that the dining room is on the small side and the tables close. The noise level at the beginning of the meal was high but then dissipated. This was truly a great experience and despite the proximity of the other tables it was a very Romantic dinner one we won't soon forget and we will be going back soon with friends!

1  Thank NuclearMamma
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The food and service are outstanding. We have been visiting Il Capriccio for years and it remains one of the best, if not THE best restaurant in the Boston suburbs.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I realized that while I often look for out-of-town restaurant recommendations on tripadvisor before I travel I have failed to contribute any of my own for visitors to the Greater Boston area. So here goes.
Il Capriccio is not just my favorite local dining experience, it is one of the best restaurants I have visited anywhere. The food is consistently superb - perfectly prepared, nicely presented and without fail, thoroughly enjoyed! There are generally a number of new and interesting menu options as well as the favorites that regulars have come to expect (if not insist upon). The wine menu is also quite extensive.
While downtown Waltham will never be described as quaint, I have eaten at plenty of restaurants where the beautiful setting couldn't make up for the disappointing food and service. Walk through these doors and settle in for a memorable feast.
Perhaps what I like most about Il Capriccio is that the staff seems genuinely happy to be there, answer your questions and to attend to your desires. It really makes for an enjoyable evening out and I would encourage you to visit if you are in the area.