“Best Paella in a long time”

Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 190 Restaurants in Waltham
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cushing Street
Transit: Waltham Commuter Rail is located 4 blocks away.
Takoma Park, Maryland
“Best Paella in a long time”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Visiting my son in Waltham; he took us to Solea for dinner. We arrived without a reservation, but were seated & served promptly. Tapas (empanadas, broccoli fritters, lamb chops, greens with garlic & pine nuts) all delicious; we also ordered the "small" paella which looked like plenty for four. Seafood fresh & succulent, perfect rice. There were four of us and we scraped the bottom of the pan!

• Visited May 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Food, Experience, and Service.”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My first impression of Solea is a great one! I don't frequent many Tapas Bars, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable, and very attentive. The many is quite diverse and most everything sounded good to our party. We were recommended to get 3-tapas a piece and that was more than enough food (there were 3 in our party). The flavors were bright and clean. I really enjoyed a fried and stuffed poblano pepper that was loaded with veggies and surprisingly light. It was difficult to pick a dish that was my favorite because they were all good. As our server said, if it sounds good on the menu, you'll like it! Prices are moderate and this was not an inexpensive dining experience, but the portions are satisfying for the even big eaters.

Boston, Massachusetts
“we'll be back”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is a good place for couples, business lunch, dinner with friends or even a 14-people BD party. The atmosphere and service are very nice. Is that the best food I’ve eaten – no, but it’s good. My favorite is Lamb Meatballs in truffle cream sauce, Beef Tenderloin with dried figs, apricots and prunes in a cream brandy sauce, Paella, Black Bean soup and Stuffed Pepper. Drinks are good too, unique martinis ladies like. The only downside is the price – its high for these kinds of cousin. I’d say it’s a 3.5 star food for 4 star cost.

Westerly
“Emperor Has No Clothes”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Alright, that's it! I'm reviewing this place. After a good 5 or 6 tries, I've had it!

Solea is a scam, people. Wake up, Waltham! Can you honestly tell me that the tapas you had which came to $43 was really worth it? Or was the ambiance and the snooty service clouding your regular judgment of good food? Could you have gone to Hannaford and gotten some olives and dressed them up in olive oil and served them for under $7? Yes! Did the caipirinhas taste like rubbing alcohol and have no sugar in them because the staff there is from Waltham and doesn't understand authentic Spanish cuisine? Yes! Did the server make you feel like you didn't know what you were talking about when you asked if the Chorizo was spicy? Was the Chorizo spicy? No! Was it over-grilled, fatty and tasteless? Yes! Was the serrano ham even more fatty, gross and bland, even though everything in your right mind told you that it was good manners to politely pretend you were enjoying this ham, that was merely a very thin slice of ham for another $8--that this was an authentic Spanish experience you could get nowhere else but the cultural hub of Waltham Mass.? Jesus. The emperor definitely has no clothes here, and although I must admit the decor and ambiance are second to none in this town, the food is ridiculous. Go to Tempo, or better yet, go to Domenic's deli or In A Pickle for MUCH better food, and the staff will treat you like you actually exist because you are patronizing their business. Why people come here I cannot fathom--it must be because of the misleading beauty of the establishment. Stay away from here if you actually care about having a relaxing and delicious meal that you will remember in a positive light. Go to Boston and stop posturing in the suburbs to impress your friends. They'll pretend they like it then complain behind your back. This place sucks.

• Visited February 2013
North Reading, Massachusetts
“Awesome!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I love this place. It was my first time eating here and I enjoyed every bite. My table of 4 opted for tapas dining. The artichokes were my favorite along with the salmon, empanadas and fresh hummus.
The service was superb, bringing a few plates at a time, and very pleasant.
I highly recommend Solea if you're looking for a different experience