“Decent value and location, but you could do better”

HYATT house Boston/Waltham
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Waltham
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed at this Hyatt location for 4 nights. All in all, I have no complaints, but my general response to my stay was "meh". The rooms are large, with a kitchenette and separate sleeping area, with a large bath area. In general, comfortable enough, though having traveled on business, the wifi left something to be desired.

One of the selling points to me was the included breakfast, but if that's your deciding factor, never mind. Granted, I was there in the middle of most folks' summer vacations, but every day I was there, the breakfast area looked like it had been descended upon by a horde of locusts. Slim pickings, hovering patrons, and the poor, overworked kitchen staff couldn't keep up. I was lucky to grab a yogurt and spoon before making my escape.

The location wasn't all I had hoped. Not easy to got to, and nothing was close.

So while I wouldn't turn down a free stay next time, I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I arrived with a reservation and was told they has no space. The people at the front desk seemed really annoyed, said the day staff allows overbooking quite often, and would not give me a room. After about 20 minutes, I was sent to another hotel where they paid my first night. What was really confusing is the front desk at Hyatt told me they would only pay one night at the other hotel, but also that they could not honor my multi night reservation at all because they were sold out for a week. And theor website still had rooms available while I was standing at the front desk. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone - a room guarantee means nothing here.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Just stayed at the hotel for 5 nights before dropping our son off at his university close by. Great location with easy access to I-95 and Boston. The hotel staff were very helpful, especially Melissa. She went out of her way to accomodate our requests. The rooms were very spacious and clean. The morning breakfast was the normal American breakfast. Nothing really special!
All in all we are going to stay there again when visiting our son and Boston

1  Thank dmsgy4
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear dmsgy4,

The you so much for you kind words on your stay, here at the HYATT house Boston/Waltham. I'm so glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and the amenities that we provided. I hope that when you and your family come back to the Waltham, area that you choose us again. We look foward in seeing you soon.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and kid have been at the Hyatt House with me for over 4 weeks which is now at the 30% percent mark for my trip.

Honestly, I read the reviews and I was leary to stay at a place next to two low end hotels and also out of my usual hotel brands. However, the place is a three minute walk from my short term contract and that gave me the ability to spend a lot more time with my family. Being that I am both a Hilton and Marriott top tier elite I found that neither hotel brands had good choices here for a long term stay in Waltham area.
So heres the details. Positve first and negative last .

Positve things are.
1. Well appointed and large approx. 750 sqft 2 Bedroom.
2. Very comfy furniture such as the sofas which I might want to buy and very comfortable beds.
3. Food service overall is fine and a nice deal.
4. Location is close to my work and main reason I chose it.
5. Staff smiles at least even if there is little response.
6. Business center actually works and gym is decent
7. Plentiful WSJ newspapers and coffee in the am. Would be nice to have the BG or the USA Today though
8. Amenities like toothpaste, soap and shampoo are decent quality and plentiful.
9. Hot water works all the time.
10. They have shades and blinds in the bedroom windows for those

Now heres the not so nice.
1. Maintenance is poor. Just one example since I have 6 or 7 really..We got locked out of rooms twice because no one gets around to fixing the lever lock that moves on its own or because housekeeping lets the door slam when they leave.
2. Noise was not a problem for three weeks but the last four days we have been woken up by a flock(yes, no kidding a flock) of kids going room to room across from us and all round the floor. I called the front desk gentlemen who I wont name on this site two of the three times after 10pm. He never took care of it from what we keep hearing.
3. Grounds definitely need some cleaning and yes they do take a month to clean stains off of carpets which we noticed by the 3rd floor elevator.
4. Breakfast area is unbelievably crowded most of the time between 7-9am and 6-7PM for snacks.
5. One Pool gate is not maintained so any kid can open without key since day one.(Liability issue for them I would think)
6. Housekeeping is overworked and worthless most of the time. Just place the DND sign and do it yourself.
7. Location has absolutely no walkability with almost no sidewalks in the area. (Waltham is armpit anyway so not the hotels fault. )
8. Yes, we will need to check out soon with the noise silliness.

So I would expect a Hyatt brand to be a bit better but I guess that's why I haven't taken to the brand. Never had a really good experience at one except a Hyatt Place.

Room Tip: Definitely not a pool facing room. As one would expect the pool noise can get impressive with 12 or...
1  Thank sanguru1969
Carrie B, Front Office Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and that we failed to provide the service that you should expect from our hotel brand. I will certainly follow up with our Operations team regarding the condition of your guest room and our Front Desk team. One of the major purposes of your review is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides us with valuable information that we can use to improve our Hotel and service delivery. I deeply apologize for not meeting your expectations of our hotel.

Justin Shore

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We vacationed with 4 adults and 4 children, using two suites for six nights. We chose this location becuase it's 30 min to our favorite Ipswich beach and 20 minutes to site see in Boston. One bedroom suites were very comfortable, well equipped and spacious with 2 beds and a sofa bed. Enjoyed full kitchen with 4 burner stove and oven. Most suite style hotels don't have an oven. Free full bfast and afternoon receptions were very good. Self serve laundry room was a bonus. Friendly staff and good service. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: great location off major highway
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Anonymousbuthappy,

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We were traveling with our 3 young adult children. I reserved a two bedroom suite. Lots of room, two bathrooms, clean, close to Waltham and Boston, great breakfast, and....above all, reasonably priced. A great find!!! Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear etm85,

Thank you so much for the kind words of your stay with us here at the HYATT house Boston/Waltham. We strive to make everyone as comfortable as just like they are at home. I hope that if you come back to the Waltham or Boston area again, that you will choose us again for you stay. Thank you again and have a great day!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip and although my room was nice, the hallways and outside were not maintained. I arrived on a Monday afternoon and someone had spilled dirt from a plant in the hallway of a stairwell and it stayed there until I checked out on Friday morning. The building had some work done on their fire sprinklers in the halls and drywall pieces and dirt were all over the halls for 2 days. If you're planning to just stay in your room, all will be fine. The housekeepers cleaned my room very well when I left a tip. The building is noisy - lots of kids running the halls and the walls are thin. I might stay here again because I really do like the convenience of making my own meals when I'm business traveling and Waltham is away from Boston, but close enough to get there easily. The free breakfasts and dinners are a nice feature too and the food is OK. My bed was very comfortable and the room is nicely laid out. The staff are nice too.

1  Thank ArmyNurse2
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

ArmyNurse2,

Thank you for your reveiw and I appreciate your feedback about the hotel. I apologize for the expereince that you had with us and please know that we are working on bettering the hotel. We did have our mixing valves replaced during your stay and I apologize that we did not clean up after they were installed. I will be speaking with my Chief Engineer and let them know that this happened as well as speak with my Executive Housekeeper about your comments. Again I appreciate all your feedback.