“Great place to stay outside of the Boston area.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Boston/Waltham

HYATT house Boston/Waltham
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Waltham
Richmond, Virginia
“Great place to stay outside of the Boston area.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We ended up with a 2 bedroom suite with a full kitchen and 2 full bathrooms. I don't remember booking such a large room for just my husband and myself but it was a very nice surprise! The rooms and bedding were clean and having a large living room was nice to relax in.

The decor was modern and very home-like. The beds were so-so - not the softest but still comfortable. The flat screen TV and free Internet were both pleasant amenities.

We were on the first floor and very close to the lobby, business center and small fitness facility. The workout equipment was modern and well taken care of even though the room was small. One large weight machine and some free weights were also available.

It is located in a business area with a few other extended stay hotels and not many restaurants close by - most were pizza and sub joints. It was a relief to return to an area that was free of congestion after visiting Boston one evening (approx 30 min away). I would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Psy1ocke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Writing this at 12:35am and hear people laughing and talking in multiple rooms plus footsteps above. It's fully booked Saturday night but the walks let all the sound through. The breakfast area can't handle a full house. We have to bring breakfast back to the room (sub par bacon and cold "scrambled" eggs. Like the Hyatt House in Burlington much better but it was booked.

Rooms are updated with flat screens but our kitchen was missing a lot of utensils, thermostat was broken (on Friday they said they'd replace it Saturday but never did).

Also this is a hotel you need to drive to get anywhere. The Burlington one has shops and restaurants just across the street.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank scottinvirginia
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Good news: I found the front desk staff to be very friendly, professional and helpful.

Bad news: There is no cellphone service in this hotel. One of the front desk staff told me she goes outside on the sidewalk to the right to make cellphone calls. I was there for a week on business - was I supposed to call my clients standing outside on the sidewalk, with mosquitos and no privacy? Do they want us to use their in-room phone service that badly? I guess so.

More bad news: Not exactly the cleanest place in town. Dead cockroach in bathroom, long black hairs on "clean" towels. Maid service is not too thorough (they didn't refill paper or shampoo or replace washcloths). I only had them service my room once, and they were in there for only a few minutes (I happened to show up when they were entering, and waited nearby until they finished - which was faster than I could have imagined. Maybe they were fast because they didn't want me to wait too long?) But they too were very nice, and without attitude when I requested the missing items. (I should also mention that I asked them to change the sheets and they said no - albeit very nicely; only on Wednesdays or Saturdays are sheets changed.)

More bad news: The TVs stop working frequently. It happened to me twice, and I had no TV in the bedroom for the last 3 nights of my stay. It also happened the last time I stayed at this hotel, and the guy who came to fix it the first day this time told me they have all sorts of problems with their TV service.

Lastly: the manager emailed me that she wanted to call and apologize for everything (the front desk had already credited me for one night's stay), and I wrote back a nice note with my phone number. She confirmed receipt of my email, and never called. Had she called, I probably would not have written this negative review - as there might have been good reasons for all of these issues...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tena t
Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I stayed just one night near Boston on our vacation. The two bedroom suite was ideal for two adults and four kids. Plenty of space to spread out plus two bathrooms and three televisions helped keep the peace. The pool is very nice but the gym was lacking in size and quality. The breakfast area is very open and relaxing. The food quality was OK but worth the convenience. Overall great stay for a big box hotel chain at a good price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wilmington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is perfect for young families. Offers wonderful amenities for kids, plus the fully-stocked kitchen (right down to the soap and paper towels!), combined with a generous breakfast buffet (complimentary) and "social hour" (a.k.a.: dinner!) during the week (various themes, certainly enough food to count for a dinner, especially for kids) helps offset the cost. Additional amenities including the pool and business center are real pluses. Rooms are spacious and the living room set-up make for great accommodations. I will admit that at check-in, the first room we were assigned did not appear to be as clean as I'd hoped (looked like the job was not well-done). I simply reported this to the desk and within 5 minutes, desk staff had personally hand-delivered a key to my door for another room down the hall. The whole thing took less than 10 minutes and the problem was efficiently solved with no further issues or questions, plus an apology! I have been very pleased with the service here and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Windsor, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I chose this hotel for a weekend trip to Boston, without wanting to pay Boston's high prices. The location is great, right off of I-95, and just a few exits from the Mass Pike, which takes you right into Boston. It's a little confusing to get to the first time, but once you figure out the streets, it's not a problem.

The suites are very nice. We had a comfortable sofa, which included a chaise lounge, much to my wife's delight. The dining area was a little strange, being an extension of the counter top, with small stools on either side. The bedroom area is very comfortable, with nice lighting, and the TV attached to the wall, which is very nice.

We only had a few small issues. The room did smell a little strange. I've stayed at Hyatts before, and do not think the smell is like others. Plus, both nights, there was a beeping smoke detector in the hallway. We overcame this by closing the bedroom door at night, and couldn't hear a thing. The free breakfast was also very busy both mornings, with the second day having barely any food left, so breakfast was eaten elsewhere.

All in all, it was a very good experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel was wonderful for my husband, two boys and me. There was so much room! We took advantage of many amenities in the hotel and enjoyed it all! The breakfasts were great! It is a short drive to the subway system into Boston and is definitely a place we'd go back to!

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waltham
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham
BEST WESTERN TLC Hotel
#8 of 11 in Waltham
4.0 of 5 stars 374 reviews
Courtyard Boston Waltham

Been to HYATT house Boston/Waltham? Share your experiences!