“Wonderful Service for Large Event”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Waltham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful Service for Large Event”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Our large group of 300 reserved most of the hotel's rooms in connection with a large youth ski event. The staff at the ES Waltham was helpful and responsive during all event planning. Blizzard Nemo struck for our weekend event and the hotel staff had to go into overdrive. They responded to our large group with assistance and aplomb. Many, many families in our group told me of the wonderful service the hotel staff provided in the face of extremely adverse circumstances.
If you are planning an event requiring hotel rooms, i strongly recommend considering ES Waltham

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Griswold, Connecticut
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a unbelievable value for a family of 4 - everyone had a bed. The free breakfast was equivalent to a $15 sunday brunch type meal. Clean, tastefully decorated, nice staff. The $89 suite includes two double beds in the bed room, a microwave with fridge and a fold out sofa in the living room.

Room Tip: rooms included two double beds in the bedroom and a fold out couch in the living room. How nice to h...
1 Thank june d
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 3, 2013

It's an old rundown property, rooms were not clean, phones didn't work and I won't go back. Much better holtels in the area. Best part of the stay was checkin, fast and friendly and took all of 2 minutes. Great front desk people and a very friendly staff member named Joe helped me with my bags. There were dirty dishes in the hall in front of my doorway and the room has old furniture and is seedy looking> BOTH phones didn't work and I had to use my cell phone to call the front desk. Within 30 minutes an engineer showed up to "re program" the OLD FASHIONED awful looking phones but the living room one still didn't work when I went to call the bellman to check out. I'm an honors member, stay in Hiltons all over the USA and usually love Embassy Suites, but this is just not as upscale as the others I've been to. The bed was way too soft to be comfortable, obviously old and rundown. IF you have teenagers it's probably great, the place was crawling with kids and at 1am when i returned from my event they were all hanging out in the halls making noise. Thankfully I had a quite room at the end of a long hallway so I wasn't near the atrium. I stayed here to attend a wedding, it was the designated hotel. Next time I'm in the area I'd stay elsewhere, the Westin nearby looked great..

Room Tip: Stay as far from the main area as possible. Rooms at the end of the hall are good.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Robert W, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear tvtraveler,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I am sorry for your disappointment with our guestroom appointment and the technical difficulties you experienced with your phones. It confuses me that we would be considered “an old rundown property for the hotel had completed a $12 million renovation in 2011 and the entire team takes pride in providing a clean and well maintained facility. I have reviewed your comments on the look and feel of our phones with our maintenance team and we will keep them in mind as we constantly look for ways to improve our guests' satisfaction.
Robert Weitz
Port Chester, NY
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was traveled to Boston with my 17 year old to visit college campuses During Hurricane Nemo. We initially booked a hotel in the downtown area. When I checked further and found out that there is a $36 a night charge for parking, I immediately cancelled that reservation and booked a room at the Waltham Embassy Suites.
As stated below, I did see a few out of control kids who were noisy and running around or playing hide and seek everywhere including the elevators.
However, our room was away from the elevators and in a corner where a privacy door could be closed to separate the two corner rooms from the rest of the corridor rooms. As a result I heard no noise after entering my room.
As expected, the room was clean and modern with a mini fridge, a microwave and coffee maker, the bed (including the sofa bed) very comfortable, the free breakfast plentiful and delicious and the parking free and accessible. I was also told that I would be charged $12 a day for internet access when I called to get the code but upon checking out the charges were taken off my bill.
The staff at this hotel is wonderful and very helpful and the location is central to all the colleges near or in Boston.
I am a big fan of the Embassy Suites. I have also stayed in the D.C. and Manhattan locations and loved my stay without any reservations. I have found no better hotel that meets the need of a family traveling with kids. The full breakfast buffet is such a life saver when traveling in an unfamiliar area. The accommodations are the best and the price very reasonable.
It is very upsetting that such a wonderful facility and its very helpful staff get a bad reputation because of rude parents raising obnoxious children!!

1 Thank MaggieJA
Douglas, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I booked a double-room King suite for a surprise, last-minute, spur-of-the-moment getaway from my wife and I. The room itself was nice. Having 2 separate areas is quite nice and we liked it a lot. It gave us a place to eat and talk and lounge and then a separate area to sleep, which felt nicer than just a single room.

The people at the check-in/check-out desk up front were very nice.

The free breakfast was quite nice. Plenty of food, good service, and cook-to-order omelettes. We liked the breakfast a lot, especially compared with the shoddy breakfasts at other hotels.

The lady who answered my phone call at 11:00 at night to inquire about Internet access from my room was less than 100% polite, when she informed me (incorrectly (see below)) that the only way I could get Internet access in my room was to pay $13 per day, per device.

And seriously, this is 2013. Why do hotels think they should charge people for Internet access in their rooms still? What I found out the next day and wish I would have found out the night we stayed was that the free Internet password that they give you to access the Internet from the lobby will also work in your room (ours was at the highest floor--the 8th floor). But that's not what the lady who answered my phone call at 11:00 at night told me. I was told that there's no free Internet access in the rooms at all, and that if I wanted to access the Internet for free, I'd have to come down to the lobby area.

And as some of the other reviewers noted, if the hotel has a bunch of noisy, unruly kids running around, your Zen level may be greatly affected. I know it's not the hotel's fault, but I think there was a cheerleading tournament in town the night we stayed there, and it was pretty noisy. The open area design of the hotel (the rooms are on the outside border of a nice, big, tall, pretty open area that goes from top to bottom of the hotel) is a blessing and a curse, I guess. I've stayed at a similar hotel before... a visit where there wasn't a mob of unruly, noisy kids... and it was one of the most serene, beautiful hotel visits I've ever had. But throw in a bunch of noise and the sound just echoes and bounces all over the place.

I tell ya... I spent a decent amount of money on this one night getaway, and I thought the Embassy Suites were a step up from the average hotel. But I won't be staying here again if they insist on wanting to charge me $13 per day, per device, to access the Internet in my room. Pretty cheap and insulting.

All in all, I think my visit was tainted by the insulting and dishonest Internet access at this hotel. If it hadn't been for that, I think this would have been 4.5 stars. Take away the unruly, noisy kids, and this would have been a 5+ star visit.

HTH! =:)

Room Tip: Top level floors are a little quieter and more removed from possible noise.
1 Thank Jason K
Peabody, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Very clean, nice rooms, Quiet even when busy, and the staff were very friendly! Will return again and again!! The only downside are the amoutn of kids utilizing the hot tub underage. I passed up the pool are a few time due to the amount of people in there and kids everywhere including the hot tub. When looking for a romatic getaway this probably woudl be it. Otherwise the hotel was great.

Room Tip: Beautiful comfy suites!
Leominster, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I also stayed at the Embassy Suites in Waltham from Feb. 21st until we gave up and checked out early on Feb. 23rd due to the unruly and noisy children running everywhere and using the elevators as amusement rides until midnight. Friday started with a quiet swim and went downhill from there. Once I got out of the pool a dad with a large group of boys made their way cannonballing into the pool and drenching everything with water.Children of all different ages spent the afternoon and entire evening riding the elevators then chasing each other back and forth by our room with no parents in sight. Had it all stopped by 10pm I wouldn't have minded so much but midnight is a bit ridiculous. When we checked out the manager asked if we were checking out early due to the noisy children from the previous evening. If they knew they were out of control why didn't anyone do something about it? It was a huge disappointment to our vacation and even though this used to be a great place to stay, I have to wonder if we will ever stay here again. The staff is wonderful and the food is delicious but the noise was too much.

Room Tip: Go for a corner room and away from the elevators...
2 Thank librarylil16
Robert W, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear librarylil16,
I appreciate the time you have taken to time to share your recent experience on TripAdvisor. On behalf of the entire team I truly apologize for the noise disturbance you experienced as a result of our younger and uncontrolled guests. As mentioned in the similar response to “FourInTheFamily”, my team and I totally understand your frustration and regret our security and management team were unable to control the entire situation. We strive to make every guests' stay a pleasant one and we hate to have any guest leave us ahead of schedule. We are using yours and similar feedback as a part of our ongoing training for our staff so we can work to better control and prevent similar situations from occurring in the future. I can only hope you will consider staying with us so we might redeem our standing as a quality hotel should you return to our area in the future. If I may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss your stay with me further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly through the main number at the hotel.

Best regards,