“Go somewhere else”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wakefield
Montreal, Canada
“Go somewhere else”
Reviewed September 17, 2006

We stayed at that Best Westen 2 weeks ago mainly as a budget alternative to the high rates of downtown Boston. The hotel is located off I-95, it takes a 15 min. drive to the subway station, a cheap way to get downtown. Note: the parking lot quickly fills up in the morning, we had to park away in the street and then walk for about 15 min. Our room (2 double beds) at the hotel was tiny and suffocating, not very convinient for 2 adults and 1child. There's 3 floors in this hotel, but no elevator so we end up doing a lot of trips to bring our stuff to the room. There's a bar at the hotel and a band was playing on both nights we were there. Our room was away from it, so we didn't hear anything, but that bar seems to attrack the local crowd...The free breakfast is depressing and if you want something better, you have to pay 7$. The place itself needs a good make-over. The staff was helpful and nice. We thought it could be a good budget way to stay in the Boston area, but unfortunatly, we were wrong.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank courcellesqc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Stroudsburg, PA
Reviewed September 16, 2006

I booked a week-long stay at this hotel for a business trip, and I checked out after the first night. First, there's a restaurant attached (which is pretty good from what I hear), and so there's limited parking for people actually staying in the hotel. There's no elevator, so have fun lugging your luggage up 2-3 flights of stairs. My room smelled like must. And, as I was washing my face after a long day of air travel, I noticed that my hand towel still had pubic hair on it! How gross!!!

There's also no alternative to wireless internet. Per my company's policy, I am not allowed to access the internet via a wireless connection. But, there weren't even any data ports for me to plug my ethernet cable into!

And the continental breakfast was a JOKE. Mini muffins. That's it. Oh, and coffee. No juice. No regular-sized muffins. Nothing.

Do yourself a favor, and skip this hotel.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank irish_belle

Travelers are raving about these Wakefield hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 27, 2006

We were looking for a place to hold our Bereavement Function, and someone recommended the Lord Wakefield.

I called the hotel and was connected to Carol Nicastro, Director of Sales and Catering. She couldn't be more helpful, and understanding. I dropped by to pick up the function menu; called Carol the next day, told her what I wanted (I chose the Brunch Menu Buffet), the number of people I expected, and she did the rest. We arrived at 11:30 AM , coffee, breakfast pasteries,fresh fruit and assorted juices were there awaiting our arrival. The tables were neatly set, and the room was beautiful overlooking the lake. The staff couldn't do enough for us. After giving the guests time to get settled; have their coffee and relax, the food was brought in. The brunch food was more than ample, with a good variety. When anything was getting low, more food came out. Everything was hot and delicious. We weren't rushed and were allowed to take our time and relax with friends and family. My hats off to Ms Nicastro and her staff for lessening our time of sorrow.

Stayed January 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Clifton, NJ
Reviewed January 16, 2006

Renovations and painting were going on when I arrived. They did not tell me this while making reservation. Front desk staff took 15 minutes to check me in and I was the only one there. The hallway and my room smelled like something died in there. Not one drink in the vending machine and the ice machine is broken. I guess you get what you pay for at this Best Western.

3 Thank Laurie W
Indiana
Reviewed August 13, 2005

While traveling to Boston we spent the night before the start of our convention at this hotel. We were tired from driving all day and had gotten this close to Boston and needed to stop for the night.

We stayed in room 152 ground floor looking out to the lake. Check in took a little while but staff was polite. Desk clerk was able to tell us how long it would take to get to downtown Boston (only 12-15 miles away but could take a good hour to get there depending on traffic). There looked to be a nice range of travelers staying at this hotel business, tourist and foreign travelers.

Our room was clean and odor free. However, there could have been some minor repairs and updates to the bathroom. We got a good nights sleep and were ready to face the drive into downtown Boston. Complimentary continental breakfast was available in the lounge area it was okay but nothing special.

Check out took a long, long, long time. Only one person working the desk and she was trying to book another hotel for a foreign guest for that evening. Another desk person came out and talked to the one actually working and then she went away while there was a line of us trying to check out. Once at the front of the line it was a quick check out.

If you need aplace to stay just outside of Boston this is okay place to stay.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank meh7976
Danville, Kentucky
Reviewed March 19, 2005

Staff was helpful except this morning when we arrived for the continental breakfast a bit late and the waitress was quite rude telling us that we were late. Other than that, the room was nice, and the motel was quite despite its location just off Route 128. The directions we were given to the "T" in Malden were so easy to follow, we had no difficulty taking the subway into Boston. When we returned very early in the morning, the motel was locked (we appreciated the security but it took some time for the desk clerk to notice we were there buzzing the bell and knocking on the door.

Overall, I'd recommend the Lord Wakefield for its convenience to Boston, its rates, and its cleanliness.

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank mdenis46
Portland Oregon
Reviewed June 27, 2004

We arrived at about 8. Our room was ready. While a nonsmoking room it, smoke from downstairs was very prevalent. The room was musty and hadn't been cleaned well (garbage in the nightstand drawer). The staff was very gracious when we checked out an hour later after dinner and didn't charge us for the room. Wakefield is a great town and does have great resturants!

9 Thank NW_Family_of_5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Four Points by Sheraton Wakefield Boston Hotel & Conference Center
Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Woburn
Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan
Crowne Plaza Boston Woburn
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
Courtyard Boston Woburn/Boston North

Been to The Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!