“avoid if possiable”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wakefield
Flint, Michigan
“avoid if possiable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had spent the day with some long lost friends and needed a place for the night. This was the first hotel and it was late. It said it was being remodeled, but that should have happened ten years earlier. The place was filithy,greesy carpet, dirty walls and a odor. The only up side was it had a decent breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank daylate
Robin B, Front Office Manager at The Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
I am sorry you were unhappy with your stay with us. As you mentioned we are in the process of remodeling the whole hotel. I am hoping you will give a chance to WOW you once all the changes have been made to the hotel. We truely do strive to have every guest leave happy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Hickory, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

The property was undergoing renovation during our stay. The staff were friendly and helped us facilitate our stay. The breakfast was certainly the highlight of our experience, and included a variety of tasty options. In the lobby they offered coffee and tea at any time, which was a nice touch. It was very convenient for our family's vacation to Boston. Overall a nice hotel, would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012
Robin B, Front Office Manager at The Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
JR,

Thank you for your very kind review. We enjoyed you staying with us and hope you will come visit again soon.
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Great value. Fantastic full breakfast. The staff was very helpful, they even appeared to be overstaffed. Older facility being renovated, but without inconvenience for guests (noise or smelly paint). New carpets needed badly. Easy access to interstate, close to supermarket and stores. The location is quiet enough to sleep with the window open (room smelled of Lysol on the first night when we arrived).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Prussik
Robin B, Front Office Manager at The Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for us. We are working very hard to make changes to the hotel. At the same time we are working really hard to not disturb the guests who are visiting us at the time. I hope that you will come back again and check out all the changes that are happening.
kansas city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Not too far outside Boston near Salem. Good price, neat & friendly staff. Nice continental breakfast, both hot and cold items- nice choices. Well kept and stocked. No restaurant on site but several within a mile or so. 1/2 mile from I 95.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank dmrn75
I would like to thank you for your very nice review. Since your visit with us the bar has started serving pub food in the evenings from 4 to 10pm. We hope to soon have a full menu up and running. We hope that you will come and stay with us again soon to see all the exciting changes that are happening.
kidderminster
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I together with friends stayed at Clarion Sept 18/19/20.

Cannot believe some of the reviews.

Would rate as follows.

Staff - 10/10 Nothing too much trouble ( Kristen & Robin TOP GIRLS )

Service - 9/10 Good all round service.

Lobby - 9/10 Great Coffee selection 24 Hours.

Breakfast - 9/10 Wonderful selection Hot & Cold.

Rooms - 7/10 Yes a little tired but ours were both comfortable and clean.

Bar - 5/10 Not great but presently being upgaded.

Location - 7/10 Overlooking Lake and approx 1 mile from both Wakefield & Reading.
Train to Boston from Wakefield takes approx 30 minutes.

Overall a great stay and given our experience we consider some of the negative comments to be totally unfair.

ALWAYS REMEMBER WHAT YOU ARE PAYING. This is not the Ritz but neither are the prices

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roseskidderminster
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We hope that you and your friends stay with us again soon.
Venice, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Now The Clarion, and formerly The Lord Wakefield, it has been my home away from home for years now. I've seen the hotel go thru lots of changes thru the 40 some odd years I've known it. In the middle of major (and much needed) changes and improvements, the Hotel is my "home away from home".

The Staff has always been wonderful to me, and are more like family than anything else. When I stayed here to recover from Cancer Surgery, they had fresh flowers in my room for Me upon release from the hospital and had outfitted the bathroom for my safety and convenience with handicapped equipment, and changed the location of the phone to bedside for me.

I always get a Lakeside room as I enjoy watching Mother Nature (Clouds, Geese, Sunrise over the lake) in all stages. True, it's an old Hotel, but the new owners are working on making all kinds of changes, and it takes time. Rome wasn't built in a day ya know..... I'm looking forward to seeing more of them when next I visit.

While there I saw the Continental Breakfast go from cereals and toast and such, to a full breakfast of Eggs, French Toast, Sausage, three different kinds of Cereal, Oatmeal, Toast, English Muffins, Bagles,Mini Muffins, Fresh Fruit, and freshly made Waffles, along with Juices, Coffees, Tea and Milk.

I'm originally from around the area and familiar with all of it, so when I go back, it's the one place I choose because it's convenient and easy to get most anywhere I want to go without having to use Rt 95 (128), as I know the back roads. Wakefield is also a nice bedroom community for Boston and easy access to Rt 93 for trips into the City or for those headed North to NH as well.

I've never been afraid to stay there alone, I guess probably because I've known the hotel, and have been coming to it for so many years.

Let's face it.....a 50+ year old doesn't look like a "20 something", no matter what..... I'll take it!! MWN

Room Tip: The Lakeside Rooms get the sunrise, and have a much more pleasant view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Robin B, Front Office Manager at The Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Meredith, We would like to thank you for your very kind review. We look forward to showing you all the improvements on your next trip to Wakefield. I am happy to say that the kitchen will be opening shortly for pub food and before you know it Sunday brunch will be back.
Cincinnati, OH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Just returned from a trip to Boston. My friend looked for a hotel near the city where we could take the subway downtown. Evidently the hotel has just recently become a Clarion, as the sign above the outside door was just a printed tarp. Hotel is very dirty and not maintained. Carpet throughout is filthy. Beds only had a sheet and blanket underneath--no spread. No elevator either! Had to drag luggage up two flights of steps. Bathroom vanity formica had come loose, and their solution was to nail several finish nails to keep it snug against wood. Calking around tub was over an inch wide, and you could see fingerprints of the person who smeared it all around the crack between the shower and tub. Room smelled, even though we were in a nonsmoking room.

The only positive thing I can say about the hotel was the continental breakfast they offered. It was very good.

In all, I'd pay a little extra and stay in a different motel that was clean and well maintained.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank EllieMa
Robin B, Front Office Manager at The Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
EllieMa,

I would like to apologize for your unhappiness with our hotel. Please know that all feedback good and bad is going to make us a better hotel. We are working very hard to bring improvements into the hotel including the guests rooms. Thank you for your comments.

Travelers are raving about these Wakefield hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Four Points by Sheraton Wakefield Boston Hotel & Conference Center
Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Woburn
Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#8 of 11 in Woburn
Courtyard Boston Woburn/Boston North

Been to The Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!