“Very nice”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wakefield
kansas city
“Very nice”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Not too far outside Boston near Salem. Good price, neat & friendly staff. Nice continental breakfast, both hot and cold items- nice choices. Well kept and stocked. No restaurant on site but several within a mile or so. 1/2 mile from I 95.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank dmrn75
Robin B, Front Office Manager at The Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
I would like to thank you for your very nice review. Since your visit with us the bar has started serving pub food in the evenings from 4 to 10pm. We hope to soon have a full menu up and running. We hope that you will come and stay with us again soon to see all the exciting changes that are happening.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
kidderminster
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I together with friends stayed at Clarion Sept 18/19/20.

Cannot believe some of the reviews.

Would rate as follows.

Staff - 10/10 Nothing too much trouble ( Kristen & Robin TOP GIRLS )

Service - 9/10 Good all round service.

Lobby - 9/10 Great Coffee selection 24 Hours.

Breakfast - 9/10 Wonderful selection Hot & Cold.

Rooms - 7/10 Yes a little tired but ours were both comfortable and clean.

Bar - 5/10 Not great but presently being upgaded.

Location - 7/10 Overlooking Lake and approx 1 mile from both Wakefield & Reading.
Train to Boston from Wakefield takes approx 30 minutes.

Overall a great stay and given our experience we consider some of the negative comments to be totally unfair.

ALWAYS REMEMBER WHAT YOU ARE PAYING. This is not the Ritz but neither are the prices

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roseskidderminster
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We hope that you and your friends stay with us again soon.
Venice, FL
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Now The Clarion, and formerly The Lord Wakefield, it has been my home away from home for years now. I've seen the hotel go thru lots of changes thru the 40 some odd years I've known it. In the middle of major (and much needed) changes and improvements, the Hotel is my "home away from home".

The Staff has always been wonderful to me, and are more like family than anything else. When I stayed here to recover from Cancer Surgery, they had fresh flowers in my room for Me upon release from the hospital and had outfitted the bathroom for my safety and convenience with handicapped equipment, and changed the location of the phone to bedside for me.

I always get a Lakeside room as I enjoy watching Mother Nature (Clouds, Geese, Sunrise over the lake) in all stages. True, it's an old Hotel, but the new owners are working on making all kinds of changes, and it takes time. Rome wasn't built in a day ya know..... I'm looking forward to seeing more of them when next I visit.

While there I saw the Continental Breakfast go from cereals and toast and such, to a full breakfast of Eggs, French Toast, Sausage, three different kinds of Cereal, Oatmeal, Toast, English Muffins, Bagles,Mini Muffins, Fresh Fruit, and freshly made Waffles, along with Juices, Coffees, Tea and Milk.

I'm originally from around the area and familiar with all of it, so when I go back, it's the one place I choose because it's convenient and easy to get most anywhere I want to go without having to use Rt 95 (128), as I know the back roads. Wakefield is also a nice bedroom community for Boston and easy access to Rt 93 for trips into the City or for those headed North to NH as well.

I've never been afraid to stay there alone, I guess probably because I've known the hotel, and have been coming to it for so many years.

Let's face it.....a 50+ year old doesn't look like a "20 something", no matter what..... I'll take it!! MWN

Room Tip: The Lakeside Rooms get the sunrise, and have a much more pleasant view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Robin B, Front Office Manager at The Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Meredith, We would like to thank you for your very kind review. We look forward to showing you all the improvements on your next trip to Wakefield. I am happy to say that the kitchen will be opening shortly for pub food and before you know it Sunday brunch will be back.
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Just returned from a trip to Boston. My friend looked for a hotel near the city where we could take the subway downtown. Evidently the hotel has just recently become a Clarion, as the sign above the outside door was just a printed tarp. Hotel is very dirty and not maintained. Carpet throughout is filthy. Beds only had a sheet and blanket underneath--no spread. No elevator either! Had to drag luggage up two flights of steps. Bathroom vanity formica had come loose, and their solution was to nail several finish nails to keep it snug against wood. Calking around tub was over an inch wide, and you could see fingerprints of the person who smeared it all around the crack between the shower and tub. Room smelled, even though we were in a nonsmoking room.

The only positive thing I can say about the hotel was the continental breakfast they offered. It was very good.

In all, I'd pay a little extra and stay in a different motel that was clean and well maintained.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank EllieMa
Robin B, Front Office Manager at The Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
EllieMa,

I would like to apologize for your unhappiness with our hotel. Please know that all feedback good and bad is going to make us a better hotel. We are working very hard to bring improvements into the hotel including the guests rooms. Thank you for your comments.

Travelers are raving about these Wakefield hotels

Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This place is trashed - tired - dirty and depressing. It says it is under construction. They need a wrecking ball. Do not stay here. I am surprised the Clarion brand would allow this place to operate.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank VTPete
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We are working hard to make improvements to the hotel. I hope that once we have made changes you will give us another try to get it right.
Sutton, Vermont, United States
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Beware travelors!!! Upon entering there is a huge sign about their security system, I would assume to scare off would be break- ins?? It is in the sketchy end of town to say the least. The next impression is a sign stating they are under construction, yet you can not see any construction. I had a bad feeling from the moment I stepped inside, just wanted to run the whole time during check-in. Everything screamed hostel for locals/young adults. The hallways were dirty, stained carpet, and smelled funky. Upon entering the room there was a strong oder, like they were trying to cover up another smell. The bed was wrinkled and poorly made. The bathroom sink appeared to be falling off the wall, smell, smell, smell!!!!! Our neighbor had the TV turned up to full volume, I had the feeling he was a resident. If your looking for a safe, comfortable place to stay and are over the age of 25 this is not the place for you! The night before we stayed at a Comfort Inn for less $$$ and were very pleased, so its not that you cant get a good hotel for under $100!!! So dont use you get what you pay for!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MagB640
Robin B, Front Office Manager at The Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
I was very sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us. While you may not see the renovations in the public areas I can assure you they are happening. I apologize that you felt unsafe here. I assure you it is a very safe and mostly residential area. I hope you would consider staying with us again once the renovations are complete. I would like the chance to chance you mind about the Clarion Inn.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Best bargain close to Boston.

We stayed four nights here and drove here. Previously, when I went to Boston by plane, I stayed in downtown Boston, but this time I drove and had to consider what to do with the car.
When at this hotel, I parked at the Oak Grove subway station for $6 per day on week days. On weekend, I just drove to Broadway subway stop( on the red line) and parked on the street( I parked on west fifth street, close to Dorchester) for free for the whole day. The traffic into and out of Boston was very light on weekend.

I also ran around the lake where the hotel was situated. Each loop is around 3 miles. Great for running. During my stay, I ran two times on this trail.

Don't bother taking a car into the downtown Boston. The $45 per day parking fee scared me away. By the way, you can get discounted parking for only $20, but it is for after 6PM. For $15, you can park in Chinatown after 6PM. I got a weekly transit pass for only $15, so it is much better to use the transit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank raf c
Robin B, Front Office Manager at The Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that when you are again in the Boston area you will choose us as your place to stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Four Points by Sheraton Wakefield Boston Hotel & Conference Center
#2 of 9 in Danvers
Hilton Boston / Woburn
Hilton Boston / Woburn
#3 of 11 in Woburn

Been to The Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!