“Clarion Inn by Wakefield”
Review of The Lakeside Inn

The Lakeside Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wakefield
Toronto, Canada
“Clarion Inn by Wakefield”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Best bargain close to Boston.

We stayed four nights here and drove here. Previously, when I went to Boston by plane, I stayed in downtown Boston, but this time I drove and had to consider what to do with the car.
When at this hotel, I parked at the Oak Grove subway station for $6 per day on week days. On weekend, I just drove to Broadway subway stop( on the red line) and parked on the street( I parked on west fifth street, close to Dorchester) for free for the whole day. The traffic into and out of Boston was very light on weekend.

I also ran around the lake where the hotel was situated. Each loop is around 3 miles. Great for running. During my stay, I ran two times on this trail.

Don't bother taking a car into the downtown Boston. The $45 per day parking fee scared me away. By the way, you can get discounted parking for only $20, but it is for after 6PM. For $15, you can park in Chinatown after 6PM. I got a weekly transit pass for only $15, so it is much better to use the transit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank raf c
Robin B, Front Office Manager at The Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that when you are again in the Boston area you will choose us as your place to stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Booneville, Mississippi
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is an older hotel which is undergoing a change; hopefully, for the better. It was a great deal better a few years ago, but it has really declined in the past few years. The halls don't smell very well. The rooms are small, but the beds were very comfortable. The bathrooms are really old and poorly functioning. The appearance on the outside needs improvement also. Don't expect much and you will not be disappointed. The people were quite nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Not sure it matters.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Clifton C
Robin B, Front Office Manager at The Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Clifton,

Thank you for your comments, as you noted we are undergoing a change. The hotel is now a Clarion Inn and we look forward to showing you all the great changes during your next stay.

Wakefield, Ma.
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Those are the good things I can say about this place, and that it was cheap. We booked here because it was inexpensive and included breakfast. It was very old and outdated and rather dirty. There is a funny smell in the hallway (that's covered up by airfresheners) and in the rooms. We had difficulty with the internet while we were there. The breakfast was decent. I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rosieposie517
I am sorry that your stay with us was unsatisfactory. I hope that once we have finished our renovations that you will try us again.

Wakefield, Ma

Travelers are raving about these Wakefield hotels

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I booked the hotel believing it was part of the Clarion Chain. The hotel was shockingly dirty and appeared more like a worn down youth hostel than any chain hotel. The lobby was dark and dingy. The room smelled like smoke and had an old musty smell. The mattresses seemed ancient and the sheets were threadbare. We arrived late in the evening and decided to stay despite grave misgivings. Should have followed our instincts! While sitting on the bed, a spider crawled across the pillows. When I called the front desk to advise what had happened and ask to change rooms they said they were sold out. They brought up bug spray (specifically for spiders!!!). She asked to look around the room for the spider and while we looked under the bed, found old beer bottles under the bed! At that time I said I would check out and asked for a refund. They said they were unable to issue a refund. We checked out regardless and were lucky to find another hotel. Save yourself a very unpleasant experience. We have traveled extensively and this is by far the worst hotel experience in over 30 years of traveling the world, including stays at hostels and 1 star hotels! One redeeming quality...the young receptionists were very helpful and quite nice. Don't know why they would want to work there!

Room Tip: Choose any other place!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank ihearttvl
I would like to apologize for the problems you had during your time with us. We are undergoing renovations and look forward to having a hotel that lives up to our guests expectations.

Wakefield, MA
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I was extremely disappointed to arrive at this hotel. It was in complete disrepair. It looked dingy, dirty, dimly lit and quite frankly borderline unsafe. The young woman at the front desk was belligerent regarding my license plate #. I was not sure of the plate # and wrote what to my best knowledge and recollection. She proceeded to harass me about the plate number and told me that if not absolutely correct, the police patrol the lot and will have the authority to tow it. I was exhausted, just driving in from PA, a single woman by myself and I explained to her that I wanted to get to my room which by the way was on the second floor and of course there is no elevator to help with my bags. As I went to walk up the steps , Kristin yelled at me from the front desk in front of other customers, demanding that I walk out again in the parking lot and make sure that the number I gave was completely accurate. It was rude and demeaning to be addressed in such a manner in front of other guests who also found it unacceptable. There were work vans with strange men sitting in the parking lot among others loitering around, I explained that I did not want to walk outside again with my luggage and she said that I should leave all my bags sit there in the lobby. I stay in hotels all of the time and I have never met with such a rude and demeaning front desk attendant. I do not believe that she has any understanding of the the word "hospitality."
The hotel carpet is worn and dirty. My bed only had sheets, NO bedspread at all. I don't feel safe as I barricaded the door with chair. The furniture is so beat up it looks as if it could have been trash picked. The Tv must be 20 years at best. If there was a rating I would give this room a 0.1. If not for driving all day and being utterly exhausted I would have found a more suitable hotel. This hotel looks like they run illegal activities from the rooms. If this is the type of hotel Expedia recommends to their customers, I will NOT be using Expedia ever again

Room Tip: Here's a Tip, Anywhere but the Lord Wakefield..Don't be suckered in from Expedia saying tha...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank karenhamilton52819
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I stayed at the Lord Wakefield Inn for two nights, and it was one of the more unpleasant hotel experiences I’ve had. The smell of smoke – both cigarette and marijuana – permeated the lobby when I first walked in. I arrived at 7PM, which is typically a busy time for check-in, but there was nobody at the front desk. After searching around for a few minutes, I decided to call the hotel from my cell phone. Someone did answer, and when I told her that I was at the front desk, she sounded offended. It took a few minutes for her to get to the desk from whatever room in which she’d been smoking. With that check-in experience, I didn’t have high hopes for the quality of the room – and I was right. The carpet was dirty, the bedspread had cigarette burns (in a “non-smoking” room), and the wireless internet did not work. Fortunately I was in town for business and did not need to use the room for anything other than sleeping, but the hotel left me feeling dirty. There are plenty of other hotels in the vicinity; next time I have to be in town I will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank bassplayer55
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Do not stay here for the following reasons:
-EXTREMELY rude and unfriendly staff,
-very, very small rooms with an ancient bathroom in them,
-smell of Weed permeating everywhere--even outside of the non-smoking rooms--at all times-of the day,
-NO "deluxe continental breakfast as they advertise...what you end up with is toast and cornflakes.
We regretted staying here and it definitely was a very disappointing part of our trip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank CANDICE E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Four Points by Sheraton Wakefield Boston Hotel & Conference Center
Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Woburn
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
Crowne Plaza Boston Woburn
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#6 of 9 in Danvers
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody

Been to The Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!