“A Place to Sleep, and Breakfast”
Review of The Lakeside Inn

The Lakeside Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wakefield
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Those are the good things I can say about this place, and that it was cheap. We booked here because it was inexpensive and included breakfast. It was very old and outdated and rather dirty. There is a funny smell in the hallway (that's covered up by airfresheners) and in the rooms. We had difficulty with the internet while we were there. The breakfast was decent. I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rosieposie517
Robin B, Front Office Manager at The Lakeside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

I am sorry that your stay with us was unsatisfactory. I hope that once we have finished our renovations that you will try us again.

Robin Brister
Front Office Manager
Clarion Inn
Wakefield, Ma

There are newer reviews for The Lakeside Inn

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I booked the hotel believing it was part of the Clarion Chain. The hotel was shockingly dirty and appeared more like a worn down youth hostel than any chain hotel. The lobby was dark and dingy. The room smelled like smoke and had an old musty smell. The mattresses seemed ancient and the sheets were threadbare. We arrived late in the evening and decided to stay despite grave misgivings. Should have followed our instincts! While sitting on the bed, a spider crawled across the pillows. When I called the front desk to advise what had happened and ask to change rooms they said they were sold out. They brought up bug spray (specifically for spiders!!!). She asked to look around the room for the spider and while we looked under the bed, found old beer bottles under the bed! At that time I said I would check out and asked for a refund. They said they were unable to issue a refund. We checked out regardless and were lucky to find another hotel. Save yourself a very unpleasant experience. We have traveled extensively and this is by far the worst hotel experience in over 30 years of traveling the world, including stays at hostels and 1 star hotels! One redeeming quality...the young receptionists were very helpful and quite nice. Don't know why they would want to work there!

Room Tip: Choose any other place!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank ihearttvl

I would like to apologize for the problems you had during your time with us. We are undergoing renovations and look forward to having a hotel that lives up to our guests expectations.

Robin Brister
Front Office Manager
Clarion Inn
Wakefield, MA

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I was extremely disappointed to arrive at this hotel. It was in complete disrepair. It looked dingy, dirty, dimly lit and quite frankly borderline unsafe. The young woman at the front desk was belligerent regarding my license plate #. I was not sure of the plate # and wrote what to my best knowledge and recollection. She proceeded to harass me about the plate number and told me that if not absolutely correct, the police patrol the lot and will have the authority to tow it. I was exhausted, just driving in from PA, a single woman by myself and I explained to her that I wanted to get to my room which by the way was on the second floor and of course there is no elevator to help with my bags. As I went to walk up the steps , Kristin yelled at me from the front desk in front of other customers, demanding that I walk out again in the parking lot and make sure that the number I gave was completely accurate. It was rude and demeaning to be addressed in such a manner in front of other guests who also found it unacceptable. There were work vans with strange men sitting in the parking lot among others loitering around, I explained that I did not want to walk outside again with my luggage and she said that I should leave all my bags sit there in the lobby. I stay in hotels all of the time and I have never met with such a rude and demeaning front desk attendant. I do not believe that she has any understanding of the the word "hospitality."
The hotel carpet is worn and dirty. My bed only had sheets, NO bedspread at all. I don't feel safe as I barricaded the door with chair. The furniture is so beat up it looks as if it could have been trash picked. The Tv must be 20 years at best. If there was a rating I would give this room a 0.1. If not for driving all day and being utterly exhausted I would have found a more suitable hotel. This hotel looks like they run illegal activities from the rooms. If this is the type of hotel Expedia recommends to their customers, I will NOT be using Expedia ever again

Room Tip: Here's a Tip, Anywhere but the Lord Wakefield..Don't be suckered in from Expedia saying tha...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank karenhamilton52819
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I stayed at the Lord Wakefield Inn for two nights, and it was one of the more unpleasant hotel experiences I’ve had. The smell of smoke – both cigarette and marijuana – permeated the lobby when I first walked in. I arrived at 7PM, which is typically a busy time for check-in, but there was nobody at the front desk. After searching around for a few minutes, I decided to call the hotel from my cell phone. Someone did answer, and when I told her that I was at the front desk, she sounded offended. It took a few minutes for her to get to the desk from whatever room in which she’d been smoking. With that check-in experience, I didn’t have high hopes for the quality of the room – and I was right. The carpet was dirty, the bedspread had cigarette burns (in a “non-smoking” room), and the wireless internet did not work. Fortunately I was in town for business and did not need to use the room for anything other than sleeping, but the hotel left me feeling dirty. There are plenty of other hotels in the vicinity; next time I have to be in town I will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank bassplayer55
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Do not stay here for the following reasons:
-EXTREMELY rude and unfriendly staff,
-very, very small rooms with an ancient bathroom in them,
-smell of Weed permeating everywhere--even outside of the non-smoking rooms--at all times-of the day,
-NO "deluxe continental breakfast as they advertise...what you end up with is toast and cornflakes.
We regretted staying here and it definitely was a very disappointing part of our trip.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank CANDICE E
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We are paying $63 per night for our room, which is located only about 11 miles from where we want to be in Boston. The hotel is old, but I have seen (and not stayed in) true horror stories, and this is not one. Our room, 202, is at the end of a hall and overlooks the charming Lake Quannapowitt. Forget about having an on-site fitness center. The 3.5 mile path around the lake is flat and picturesque. It's heavily traveled with fitness buffs walking their babies in buggies, jogging, walking pets, and just plain walking! We rode our adult kick scooters around it. Lovely!

We have a no-smoking room, but that said, the cashier told me that all rooms are no-smoking, so I don't understand the complaints about smelling smoke in the area. I could not detect any at all except outside by the front door.

We have a large, 2-queen bed room. It also has a desk with spot for a computer power-cord in a lamp, a round table with two, nice straight-back chairs, a comfortable chair, and a long chest of drawers that holds an old tube-type TV. The WiFi is good! It isn't FiOS, but its more than adequate for our needs. And the bathroom is quite large. Best, for women, is that you can actually stand close enough to the mirror to apply makeup.

The rug in our room is pretty good. There are no black stains and the room itself smells OK. It has a great heater, too, at least for the modestly cool, fall nights of our stay.

In summary, this is a nice motel for the price. The area is super if you like to get out and about. And it's proximity to Boston is spot on.

Room Tip: Our room is 202. It is at the end of a hall. You reach it from a middle staircase as the stairs near...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Littleviews
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We found this hotel to be rather tired but did not find it particularly dirty or smelly as some other reviewers. It provided us with a good location for getting into Boston and was OK for our two nights at a cheap price. Lake view was good and a walk around stimulating and safe with all the other keep fitters. Breakfast very basic but included in price. Good restaurants in the village.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Four Points by Sheraton Wakefield Boston Hotel & Conference Center
Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Woburn
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
Courtyard Boston Woburn/Boston North

Been to The Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!