Cranford Country Lodge
Brahman Hills Hotel & Spa(Nottingham Road)(Great Value!)
$135
$158
$144
  • Pool
Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton(Pietermaritzburg)
$107
Agoda.com
Redlands Hotel and Lodge(Pietermaritzburg)
$117
Travelocity
Sierra Resort(Mooi River)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewswedding weekendgreat roomhoneymoon suitefamily and friendsbeautiful venuefriday nightthank you so muchbeautiful weddingfood was amazinga special placesoupentire venueentire weekendfrom australiacountry stylethe cottagesself catering cottage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at Cranford for the Midmar weekend. Although the view is magnificent and the cottages are quaint and clean, the quality of food is poor and having to pay full rate for children under 12 is a bit steep, especially when the breakfasts were under catered and very little was available. Will definately not be returning nor will we be recommending this establishment.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Helene H
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I took my family to Cranford for a few days during the December holidays, we had a self catering cottage which looked over the horse paddocks and the dams, it was a stunning view. My husband and kids loved fishing in the dams and had great success.It was my daughters first fishing experience and she caught 3 good sized fish. What a beautiful place. We will definitely be back. Thanks to Alex and her team for making us feel so welcome.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sbotha
Reviewed January 22, 2013

On the 5 Jan this year we had our daughter Sarah’s Wedding at Cranford Country Lodge. We spent the whole weekend at Cranford with the Wedding on the Saturday afternoon. We had Family from New Zealand and Australia with us and everyone raved about the fantastic hospitality that we experienced at Cranford. A huge thank you to the entire Cranford Team !! I worked closely with Alex planning the Wedding and she could not have been more helpful and accommodating if she tried. Nothing was ever too much trouble. She helped with the setting up of the Barn on the Friday and was around late into the evening on Saturday checking that everything ran smoothly. The food was first class and the portions extremely generous.
Over and above what Alex did for us for the actual Wedding she allowed us to take over her own private kitchen and fridge to store food for the babies that we had with us for the weekend ! We so appreciated this as it made our weekend so much easier.
I would highly recommend Cranford Country Lodge to anyone looking for a Wedding Venue. It is the most beautiful setting and our Wedding photos in the garden are amazing ! Our rooms were so comfortable and the Honeymoon suite amazing !
Thank you ALL for everything you did for us. Especially Alex who is one of the nicest and most helpful person I have ever met !

Anne Sparks.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Cally A
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I were invited to a wedding at Cranford Country Lodge. When we were told that we had been reserved accommodation at the venue itself we were nervous as to what the cost might be, we were however so pleasantly surprised as the rate per head was very reasonable. We were even more pleasantly surprised when we arrived to the beautifully appointed Blue room. En suite with private stoep area off what appears to be the original farm house. On arrival, my husband and I were greeted by Alex, who it has to be said was charming! The bride and groom had organized a braai at the venues 'lapa' which overlooks the dam. The Cranford staff could not have been more helpful in setting up the venue for the evenings braai. The wedding took place in the gorgeously quaint chapel in a wooded setting. the wedding was spectacular! Delic food, plenty of drink (with very amenable bar men) and dancing! Cranford really knows how to put on a wedding! I hope that my husband and I will be back soon to take in more of the beautiful surroundings!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed at Cranford for a wedding of my niece. My experience with the venue was good and bad. Let me begin with the bad. The management I think the lady is Alexandra Drew (daughter of the owners) was a bit offish, maybe it had a lot to do with the culture shock of hosting non-whites. The warm atmosphere I've read about in some of the reviews about this place wasn't there at all. Maybe it was the rainy weather, I don't know. And at some point they refused to set up the hall as requested by the bride, although the request had been made way in advance and paid for. Other guests were shocked by the unprofessional and unfreindly treatment, I noticed that they were not around for check out to wish the couple off. On the last day after the wedding the hot water was cut off and they refused to give the guests some toilet paper even though it was requested before check out. Things like these do leave a sour taste in ones mouth. The menu price seems reasonable, but when you add the compulsory 10% gratuity per head you begin to think otherwise. I paid extra for a room I was staying at and up to now I haven't received my refund. This is strange because when they wanted their money, you'd swear they were dealing with thieves.

The venue is beautiful, but definatily not to the level they claim it to be. Having said that I must commend them for way they have kept the property. I just think it needs more detail especially being a wedding venue. And if they have any ambition of being a top player in the industry, some consideration needs to be taken. A job well done to the cleaning staff and one of the caretakers (Sam) for their freindliness and willingness to make the day what it turned out to be.

In a nutshell I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, as there are much nicer venues which offer better value for money. On the other hand I want to suggest that Cranford sends their manager (Alexandra) on a people skills course. Or maybe even a culture management course, in this business I'm sure they'll have to serve many races and cultures.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family