“Ideal Vineyard Haven Location”
Review of The Clark House

The Clark House
Ranked #6 of 11 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Friendly, clean, easy walking to town. Clean rooms, great breakfast and beautiful grounds.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Executive401

Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed there 3 nights. The place is great. Close to town, the buses, the ferry. The breakfasts were good, something different every morning. We had the Oak Bluff room. The size was great, private bathroom, clean. The owner was very helpful with tips on things to do and see.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Erimel_22
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We stayed here last week and it was very nice, clean and close to town.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I took a Boat Ride (Seastreak) from New Jersey to Martha's Vineyard. It was our first time to the island. We had an extended Labor Day Weekend on the Island, staying a total of 4 Nights at the Clark House in Room 2 (Chilmark).. It was a good size room, with a bathroom/shower. The room had a terrfic queen-size bed that was very comfortable.. My wife prefers a Tub, and would have prefered a larger sink, but the room was very comfortable..

We had breakfast each morning at the adjacent Hanover House, which is own and operated by the same proprietor. It was a small breakfast area, but they had plenty to offer with a variety of cereals, fruit, quiche, eggs prepared to your liking, waffles, an assortment of coffee/tea and juices. We really enjoyed our breakfast each morning.. You also have the option to sit out on the front lawn to enjoy your breakfast

The staff is very friendly, gracious, and always willing to please.. Most of the staff were young students from Europe, working for the summer on the island

Steve, the manager, and Diane at the front desk, made us feel very welcomed at the B&B.. They always greeted us with a smile each morning, and gave us interesting tibits about the history of the island and what to see and do.

We investigated several B&Bs before deciding on Clark House. Although it offers no view of the water, you are just minutes, by foot, from Vineyard Haven, and you get great value for your money at this B&B.. They even offer complimentary bikes

We would stay here again, and would recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alina-n-Tom
Reviewed August 5, 2011

My fiance and I spent one night at The Clark House for a short getaway and had a fantastic time. The room was small, but met our needs. Both the room and the house had all the charm one would expect from a good B&B. The breakfast was good, and the reception service pleasant.

The only downside was that it's not near the water, but that's OK because the B&B is a fantastic value.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2011

The Clark House was perfect for someone like me that has a prince's taste but a commoner's budget. I spent hours researching different hotels on the island to find an affordable and charming place for my girlfriend and I to enjoy the long weekend. I chose the Clark House because nowhere else on the Island can you pay $180 a night for 500 thread sheets, high quality bath towels and robes, a private bathroom, air conditioning, a charming room with real character, and an amazing breakfast every morning. Easily the best value anywhere and conveniently located in Vineyard Haven (walking distance from the ferry), with a bus stop 200 feet away, and bikes that guests can use for free! The atmosphere is friendly. I was able to meet nice folks in the common areas, but it was also easy to escape from socializing and get quiet private time. I couldn't have made a better choice and look forward to staying there again next summer. I recommend the Clark House to all my friends.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JosyWhales
Reviewed June 28, 2011

This was our first trip to Martha's Vineyard and the Clark House Inn definitely contributed to a great vacation! I felt like a "guest" and not like a "customer." My friend had initally called just to inquire about the rates, but by the time she got off the phone with Steve, we had more than just information about the Inn--he gave a wonderful overview of the island and what we could expect and do for a vacation there. So, we decided to book a room for this reason, and because the rates were reasonable. This high level of hosptiality was consistent throughout our stay--Steve and Janet (?) gave us all the information we could ask for and saved us the hassle of having to figure out what to do, when to do and how to get there. The breakfast (right next door) was delicious (best scrambled eggs I have ever eaten), and there were always some great snacks in the afternoon. Our favorite part was sitting on the front sun porch in the rocking chairs and having tea/coffee to unwind a bit. We really felt like we should make ourselves at home, and we did. It was very charming and cozy. The room (Oak Bluffs suite--two double beds, single pull out sofa, private bath), had very comfortable mattresses and linens, and they felt and smelled really fresh and clean. In fact, we commented frequently that the entire house was VERY CLEAN. The other thing we liked was that Vineyard Haven seemed to be the most centrally located town, so taking the bus to other towns ($15 for a three day pass) was easy and direct.
I am really surprised at some of the negative reviews because they really just don't fit with what we experienced. Also, I think it's important to emphasize that staying at this Inn, a Bed and Breakfast, is staying at a HOUSE, not a hotel---what sets it apart is part of the charm.

Room Tip: Oak Bluffs suite has a living room area