“consistently good”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
West Tisbury, Massachusetts
“consistently good”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I like to eat at the Black Dog in Vineyard Haven. It's on the waterfront with a great view of the ferries coming & going and the food is consistent. It's very popular especially as its products (tee shirts, mugs, et al) have been promoted in major advertisements, and it doesn't take reservations. That's why I rarely go for dinner any more; I stick to breakfast or lunch, which are less crowded & people don't linger so if you do have to wait it's not for too long (usually). The last time I was there for lunch I had an excellent hamburger; when I go for breakfast I usually pick one of their breakfast burritos or "thank George's Bank," which is basically eggs benedict on a yummy fish cake instead of Canadian bacon. Once in a while I'll get the short stack of pancakes (unless you have a huge appetite you won't finish the larger pancake portion, I assure you). This restaurant could rest on its laurels, or its fame, but it doesn't. Of course, now that it's become the locus of a new 'reality show,' "The Vineyard," who knows what will happen?

The Villages, Florida
“Great Place to buy a souvenir”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Enjoyed the story of how The Black Dog started so when I heard the story, I needed to get a classic T-shirt and a mug. All of us bought something. If you buy certain amount, we get a free tote bag. We bought enough for two Tote bags.

Visited July 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Better than before?”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Ate here once years ago at a different Black Dog on the Island, thought food/service was terrible; someone told me it's much better now, I didn't even see this restaurant this last trip, but did see at least one merchandize shop.

Visited August 2012
New York City, New York
“Quirky to get in, but worth it...”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

They do this weird thing where they stop seating people between 11 and 12. So we got there at 11:20, but they wouldn't seat us (even though the restaurant was 80% empty). Instead, we put our names on a list and waited 45 minutes in the hot sun while they did their breakfast-lunch switchover (presumably) and then slowly worked their way through the list of 30 names to seat everyone. Once we got in, it was lovely and quick.

The mug of clam chowder is worth every calorie. The sandwiches were great. Even the service was fantastic. Would definitely come back.

Rowayton, Connecticut
“A Family Favorite”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Breakfast at the Black Dog is a tradition in our family and has been so for decades. The view of Vineyard Haven harbor is breathtaking - particularly when the ferries from Woods Hole dock. Even waiting to be seated isn't a chore when you can hang out on the dock or walk the beach looking for sea glass until your name is called. Fabulous home fries, egg concoctions, pancakes, French toast and sourdough bread, fresh orange juice - the list of our "loves" goes on and on! Don't miss it when you are on Island!