“Great lunch place!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Went in for a late lunch, can't say enough good things about the Moxie Cafe. We each had a glass of wine, which was very good. I had the chicken Caesar wrap- delicious! My husband had the cod fish sandwich- he thought it was very good. Both came with the lemon rosemary salt fries- highly recommend these! Service was great. Location was very convenient- right on Main Street. Would go back next time we are at the Vineyard.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was persuaded to give it a try from my friend's recommendation of the food. So, we checked their menu on their door, and decided to have dinner there tonight. But, after tonight's incident, we all decided not to return to that place and I am leaving 1 star.

Here is the story.

Tonight, we had to deal with one or two arrogant and problematic servers, poorly attending our table in the first 15 min of our arrival. Then when I complained to the manager. But I only learned that she was equally arrogant, yet not handling that situation appropriately.

When we arrived, we were a little late, and our first guest already being seated, nobody approached and greeted us. Instead, we noticed a female server staring at us with frown.

When we seated ourselves, the first server arrived and explained the lengthy special menu, but decisively ignored one of us seated away from him, and would not answer any question from us, with no apparent reason. But he would continue to chat with another guest. After he left our table, we realized none of us understood any of his special menu items and we feared he might not be suitable for our table.
_____________

I quietly asked the manager to make sure this type of unequal attention, or the poor waiting manners, making one of our guests upset already, should not spoil our stay there. But, she didn't take my words at all initially, instantly frowning her face, and unapologetic, yet, she appeared more concerned about my quiet complaint being seen to the other guests.

For the matters worse, she pushed me into the dark bathroom, and asked me to repeat my complaint. I was surprised that she thought she could move my body into this dark privy room, then she spoke non-sense, - 'it was inappropriate we were having this conversation in the bathroom and how other people would think of...'

She didn't realize she just pushed my elbow to pull us both in the dark restroom and didn't realize how arrogant that appeared to me.

She did not apologize for any of this rude behavior, but she suggested sending us another waiter.
_____________

The second replaced waiter, who later reminded us he had served two of our group once in another restaurant in neighboring Edgartown, showed the same problem.

First, he started ignoring the same guest over the other guests, AGAIN.

Secondly, he would not ask the other two guests if we would order any drink, except for one guest he was keen to talk to, who clearly asked him a list of bottled flavored water, sparkling or not. But the waiter failed to understand the request, and just confirmed him a tap water. Yet, he still forgot to ask the other two of us of our choice of drinks, and walked off.

By then, not only we were not being attended properly by both waiters, we predicted this is how the night would go, and the second waiter was worse than the first one, giving "un-equal" attention to us, and that was already too much of arrogant statement. And, what is the point of replacing the waiters in the manager's mind?

We all decided to leave. Then the second waiter showed up to take the order.

When I flatly pointed out two issues to him of how his serving manners are biased - same repeated "ignore" issue is the first, then, not taking the order from the other two guests is a whole new "ignore" issue. Then the waiter turned sullen and walked off without apology. Another sign of attitude/ arrogance.

While we were leaving, I approached the manager once more to let her know this same problem occurred again with the second waiter, and that the second waiter was worse showing arrogance and not taking the drink orders, and asked her to improve their service so that this type of incidents should be avoided in the future with us or with anybody else.

Then, on my way out, I was interrupted by another female waitress, asking why I had left money on the table. I explained we left it as a tip for our inconvenience. Then, she repeated her question twice more. I got it now that it was never a question by then.

The female waiter, then stepped in and asked again, "If you didn't like our service, why did you leave the money?" That is a clear confrontation.

But the manager would not put her away. And, I reminded her I'd already answered that we had left a tip for our inconvenience for the first guest using the bread and butter.

Without any further comment, the manager turned stiff, just like the second waiter, and she ushered me out in front of other table guests, swinging her arms loudly as if she was herding her sheep.

It was very condescending gesture and I felt poorly treated once again.
_____________

My stomach got sick from this ridiculous incident. But, the very same night, we headed to MV Chowder Co, OB, where we were welcomed equally, and our dinner time was "great"

This clearly shows which business is getting my support and recommendation.

3  Thank One_Big_Hopping_Dot
Vineyardcrew4, Owner at Cafe Moxie, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

this review has appeared on line once before . we have spoken to trip advisor and it was taken down due to insane accusatory

please take it down again, it the same person trying to distroy our reputation

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I had guests from out of town and was hesitant to visit this restaurant because of the limited menu. I'm glad we went!!! Service was great, the food was outstanding. Everything was hot, seasoned properly and it really wowed me and my guests!

Thank you! I want to keep this place a secret since it is right around the corner from me, but I want it to stay in business!

It's a must go!!

1  Thank Illtakebreadandwater
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We visited on a stormy weeknight just after Christmas. Server seemed a bit inexperienced but made up for it in friendliness and helpfulness. I ordered the special burger, since my Dad recommended it, having dined there for lunch the week before. It was cooked perfectly and served on a brioche roll. Two of us had Caesar salad, which was flavorful and fresh but a bit overdressed. I think we all agreed, with our various courses, that the food was very tasty but had a lot of strong flavors. For example, the beautiful scallops in the appetizer were a bit overpowered by the pureed vegetables (parsnips or turnips) they were served on. Overall though, we had a wonderful time and will definitely return. Remember to ask if they have their beer/wine license yet if you call ahead.

1  Thank Katiebird1
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Moxie 2012 resurrected at last after the original burned to the ground 4 years ago. This new version is a treat. Excellent in every dimension; the ambience (on a cold winter's night), the service and, trust me, the food. This is Vineyard Haven's best, by far.

1  Thank Jack S