“Nice Hotel but limited facilities:”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mansion House

Mansion House
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vineyard Haven
GreenLeadersSilver level
Congleton, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel but limited facilities:”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

On arrival we were blown over with the hospitality of the staff and the beautiful room. We had a corner room that was clean airy and nicely appointed.
I would say the room was the best thing about our stay as the Mansion House had no bar, restaurant or even a place where you could enjoy a leisurely breakfast.

Maybe it's our European expectations, but we enjoy a pre dinner drink and a little cafe culture. Here at the Mansion House as nice a the room was it was a grab and go breakfast like you old expect in a highway hotel.

Talking of highways during our stay mid September the road noise from about 5:30 am onwards was disturbing.

Sorry Mansion House we would be looking for something that fitted our European expectations for dining and drinks next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Ramsey, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We recently stayed at the Mansion House for 4 nights the second week of September with our 2 princess Maltese dogs who always travel with us. The room was a good size, loved the hardwood floors, pet-friendly with a bed and bowls, very comfortable beds, well insulated from the busy street outside and overall very clean. The other thing that impressed us was the customer service of the staff. They were very courteous and helpful and went out of their way to help. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lilycz
Edinburgh, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Booked this last minute directly with the hotel. They gave me a mini suite with double bed and single day bed separate side room which was perfect for sharing with my college friend.
Was initially not sure Vineyard Haven was the town to stay but it proved a great choice. The bus service between towns was so good and it was a few minutes walk from the hotel to get anywhere including the bus/ferry!
Grab and go breakfast was ok although we opted for bagels at The Black Dog bakery one morning.
Bed was huge and super comfy. Room was super clean. Bathroom lovely. We had a balcony (room 206)we could sit and sip the sharing Prosecco bottle in the fridge (just $19!).
We didn't use the pool or spa as no time over 2 nights really. Lovely top floor deck to watch sunset or rise.
Staff were friendly.
Would recommend the Blue Canoe in VH for dinner - delicious.
A great trip made better by a lively hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
Mansfield, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed at the Mansion House in Vineyard Haven from August 26-28th. Just 2 nights. There were 4 of us. My husband, myself and our two teens daughters. Everything about the hotel was fantastic. The people at the front desk could not have been nicer. Our room was huge. We had booked a King room with a twin sofa bed and a trundle. My only complaint that I would make was in the booking of the room. Clearly this is a room that sleeps a lot of people. But the only way to book it was to say we were only 2 people. If I wrote 4 people, it didn't show up as available. And they want to charge an additional $25 for each for my kids, which I got waived when I booked it. Just seems silly. Anyway, the room was bright and airy with plenty of room. We had a huge balcony. The gym and pool were awesome features that I hadn't necessarily cared about when I booked, but due to some bad weather, was glad to have. There was a nice complimentary light breakfast every morning with fresh food. The location is great if you have a car. There was off street parking. I likes the fact that since we had a car, we were able to stay away from the major tourist areas and have everything we needed right on the main street in walking distance. We were taking a late ferry home and were able to go back to the hotel, after a long day at the beach and use the pool and shower and change before we got on the boat. They even gave us fresh towels. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you have a family get the room with the "couch" and pull out bed. Well worth it for ee...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jennifer F
Merseyside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We came here after staying in New York, so as expected it was a lot quieter than NY. It was a great room, we had a bedroom area, a seating area which would have been another bed if needed and then the bathroom and area with microwave and coffee maker. It was all lovely and clean and well kept. The staff were all welcoming and helpful.
Breakfast was available, cereal, fruit, cheese and crackers, cake and coffee so plenty to set you up for the day. And they provide a tray so you can take it and sit on the roof deck with a fabulous view of the harbour.
We had a town view room and were on the corner by the road so although we had a balcony we didn't use it much, but that was what I booked so no complaints, it was quiet at night, just traffic at peak times.
Vineyard Haven is one of the smaller than Oak Bluffs or Edgartown but you can hire bikes, the local shop was very friendly and helpful, or get buses both within 3 or 4 mins walk. We got a day pass on the bus one day which let us see all the main towns and then hired a bike the next day which gave us a lovely ride down the coast to Edgartown.
I would recommend the hotel we thoughly enjoyed our stay there.

Room Tip: If you want a view go for a harbour view.
1 Thank Joseph05
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed here this past weekend for my birthday and had a wonderful time. The Staff was friendly. The room was terrific. It was nicely decorated, with a clean, and what seemed to be a newly-renovated bathroom. They provided a continental breakfast in the library, but I am a breakfast foodie, so we did not try it, but it seemed good when we looked in. They have a deck at the top of the hotel with tables, beach chairs, etc .. with complimentary lemonade, which was nice. There is dedicated parking.

The only thing I would caution a potential guest on is the pool and fitness center. If you like to relax by the pool, it is not that kind of pool. The Mansion House has memberships to their fitness facility, including the pool.

1 Thank Rosann S
Mass
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

The bed was so cozy comfy and the room very clean with modern seaside furnishings. I was very well rested and comfortable staying at the Mansion house. The "spa" which is separately owned leaves a lot to be desired in the way of a luzury spa as we know it. Although Cynthia did a meticulous job on my nails and have absolutely no complaints there. I would go back to her no problem. It's just the spa like environment wasn't there. But seeing that it's separately owned, I didnt ding the Mansion house for it.

I was pleased with the location - right off the ferry and right near the bike rentals, right on main street for shopping and right along the bus route. Truly a great location and a beautiful hotel.

I did not eat there because I am a raw foodist and I don't eat cooked food. So, I can't comment on the breakfasts provided. But the room accomodations included a fridge, microwave, complementary tea/coffee with a small machine. Plenty of plugs and super fast WiFi, a flat screen TV which I didn't use because I was so busy checking out the beautiful island.

Be sure to check out the cupola!

I would recommend this hotel. I plan to return just for the relaxation of it all.

Room Tip: The kind sized beds facing any direction is good. You can face the front street and people watch or...
Green Features: I didn't see anything pertaining to environmentally friendly practices so can't comment on it. I can say that I would turn off the A/C and when I came back it was back on again. It wasn't needed and I was freezing. So, I thought that was wasteful.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
#3 of 15 in Oak Bluffs
The Hob Knob
The Hob Knob
#1 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to Mansion House? Share your experiences!