“Not perfect but almost there...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mansion House
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vineyard Haven
GreenLeadersSilver level
Croton on Hudson, New York
“Not perfect but almost there...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2007

Stayed there over the Columbus day weekend and was pleasantly surprised with our King Suite. NOTE: the website said they were full to capacity that weekend but when I called they said thats just how the website is and its good I called (???). Anyway, the suite had a couch and fireplace (pilotlight) and balcony overlooking the street which was kinda cool because it gave a new orleans kinda feel to it.
Bed - great. Bathroom - great. Amenities - great.

Only 2 little things were mentioned elsewhere on this page: the breakfast gets cold by the time you sit with it and yes, I did notice the regulars were more cozy with the staff than the guests, but to be fair on my last day, one of them did start to open up and laugh and talk with me so I guess they just see so many people on a week to week basis its just not worth yukking it up with everyone. oh, and a third thing, I wanted to use the pool with my wife but there were these screaming kids, yes screaming, taking up the entire pool. I kept wondering where their parents were.

The restaurant was indeed great though, their fish and chips and sirloin special steak were awesome. and their spa...the masseusse was awesome (never had one) and the lady doing my facial (yes, I had a man facial for the first itme too) - I wanted to marry her, but alas this is just her job. :-)

Overrall, I would defintely come back, its just so relaxing and noone bothers you, as long as youre with company nothing else matters.

• Liked — The rom was cozy and pretty roomy.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2007

The rooms at the Mansion House are very comfortable - we got a village view when we arrived, but I asked for a harbor view and was promptly upgraded to an even more beautiful suite. Be sure to take advantage of use of the health club (pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi) during your stay. The staff was unfailingly welcoming and knowledgeable about the island. The food at Zepherus is wonderful (we even had room service one night - a rarity!) and the view from the roof desk not to be missed. All in all, the best hotel we've ever stayed in.

• Liked — It's a tie between the room and the staff!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

It seems that my experience is a lot closer to the neutral and below ratings.

We arrived on Saturday and were checked into a beautiful 4th floor room overlooking 2-3 blocks and then the harbor. We paid extra for the room and in hindsight don't think it was worth it because the rooftop deck was a lot more spaceous and with a better view.... The room's beauty ended there... The shower head was stuck on pulsate, the deadbolt didn't bolt (kept hitting the top part of the latch just in case the owners doubt that I actually stayed there), the fireplace pilot light was out, the sprinkler system was falling out of the ceiling, and there was a noise outside that sounded like a Mac truck was parked out back (there wasn't one, I checked several times)... The noise in itself caused my wife and I a poor night's sleep the entire first night and half of the second night.

I informed the desk of these problems only to have the immature 'desk boy' roll his eyes at me and tell me it would be fixed..... Guess what? They didn't fix it.... In fact the next day when I repeated these problems to another desk person, she had no idea that I even had a problem and stated that no-one ever had a problem in that room.

I find it hard to believe that no-one else complained about this room! The noise in itself was unbearable and I can't believe that no-one else complained that the bolt didn't work in this room.

What I find to be completely unacceptable is that no-one cared.... It seemed that the policy of this place was to let people complain as much as they want because nothing will be done about it and the guest will eventually leave.

I have gone through the other complaints on this site and continue to see the same theme of rudeness and care for their gym members more than the Inn guests still persist (yes we
were also pushed aside by the desk staff when a gym member was trying to sign in). I also agree with the other person who stated the breakfast wasn't something to desire (yes the
eggs were room temp. and the coffee was bland)... However I have to admit that the problems with the doors being locked after 11:00 was told to us and the code was written down for us so we had no problems.

This was our first time to Martha's Vineyard but definitely will not be our last. However, THIS IS DEFINITELY OUR LAST TRIP TO THIS INN!

We found several other Inns on the island that appear to be more the standards of caring for the guest and providing a service... We have their name and numbers for next time.

Lastly, I don't want to hear the owners state "if you had only contacted us", because that is not the way to run a service based business.... I complained not once but twice. It should have been handled the first time, and if not then at the second request a
manager should have been introduced to us as a courtesy. There are several people on this site with the same complaints that should indicate there is a service problem. Now go and
fix it.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank BostonWiggy
Alamo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2007

We arrived to a very friendly staff at the front desk to a warm welcome. We had a suite on the fourth floor, large room with a ton of amenities. There was a bar area complete with a mini frig and sink. We had a great view from our room with a private balcony. I know its a vacation, and we paid quite a bit since it was the peak summer months, however, they should make the WI-FI free for their guests.

• Liked — Overall great room.
  • Disliked — They charge their guests for using the internet.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

If you are looking for a cozy place with access to everything, and a staff that is top of the line then you need to check out Mansion House. I had a four night stay and it could have easily stretched into a month with the ease and comfort of home. It has a marvelous spa, lovely rooms, and I did not want for anything. Matter of fact, Nancy and Matt are two of those amazing souls, and I recommend asking for them by name and having them recommend the most exciting events and happenings on-island. Mansion House shines - oh, and enjoy that terrific chef too. It's worth the treat. I definitely look forward to my next visit.

• Liked — The Service
  • Disliked — Need steak on the menu for morning breakfast! But that is a personal choice.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank LadyAE
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2007

Room was very nice, well light, and looked recently remodeled. Good size, excellent pillow top bed, very clean.
Room had a small balcony which was nice for morning coffee and slight view of water.
Our oom was on second floor and sound from busy intersection was not a problem for us.
Nice shopping in walking distance.
Excellent buffet breakfast wihich included eggs, meats, cereals, fruit, milk, juices, etc.
We will stay at Mansion House again if on Martha's Vinyard.

• Liked — Rooms were very nice, great bed
  • Disliked — ??
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EricAustin_TX
nantucket
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Mansion House in July for one night. Our rate, $279, seemed in keeping with lodging on the Cape and Islands, so no problem there. I booked directly and thought the gentleman who answered the phone was rude but brushed it off. Our room was small but adequate. (A reading light over/near the bed would be a great addition). When I inquired about DSL and Wifi in our room, none of the three women at the desk could shed any light on how to connect or what the cost would be. I tried for 15 minutes, looked in the room for information, even tried to pull a signal from the surrounding businesses without luck. No matter, I found a wonderful coffee shop near the Black Dog that had Wifi. When my husband asked where the closest pharmacy was, he was told to go down the street. No mention of whether he should head left or right. No problem, he found it.. When we asked about a wake-up call we were told they couldn't guarantee we'd get it, but they'd note it in the book! No problem, we set our cell phone alarms. We asked about a cab for a early pickup. In the morning, we we got to the lobby 10 minutes early and the gal at the front desk wasn't certain the cab would come but told us we better just hope for the best. The cab came, and we laughed all the way to the airport.

• Liked — restaurant next door
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
#1 of 15 in Oak Bluffs
The Hob Knob
The Hob Knob
#1 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to Mansion House? Share your experiences!