“lovely romantic inn”
Review of Thorncroft Inn

Thorncroft Inn
Ranked #3 of 11 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at thorncrof inn for our anniverssary at Marthas Vineyard. We absolutely reccommend it. The rooms were charming, comfortable and clean. Personal attention from the owners Karl and Lynn was great, helped us with how to get around the island, where to eat, things to do etc. To top it all, it included a superb breakfast! Karl was the chef and his Quiche is scrumptious!!! It was a pleasant stay. We would stay there again if we went back to Marthas Vineyard!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chichichacha
There are newer reviews for Thorncroft Inn

Reviewed September 11, 2011

Thorncroft is a relaxing place with great rooms and a friendly, knowledgable innkeeper. Rooms have a lot of privacy and amenities and the wood burning fireplace in the room was great. Karl gave us great suggestions at breakfast for our daily activities.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank busytraveler1116
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Thorncroft Inn in Vineyard Haven. The room was confortable, private, and the fireplace was a nice touch. The breakfasts were exceptionally good (though we did skip one day for the Artcliff Diner - also very good). Karl and Lynn were great hosts and very knowledgeable about the island. I would definitely recommend having a car to explore the island and the Inn provides some suggested driving tours.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lkws
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We recently spent 2 days at the unn celebrating our anniversary.Karl and his wife are excellent knowledgeable hosts.Karl takes great pride in his inn and well he should,the breakfasts were extraordinary

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChucksterRhinebeck
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We felt mislead because we had checked the intenet prior to booking and it stated that they were one block away from the beach. This was not the case as the beach was at least one mile away. For $350 a night, the room was small with an old small screen TV. It was noisy with loud sounding water pipes that came on at 7:00am every day. We were told that beach chairs were provided by the Inn. This was true but they were old, plastic, and uncomfortable chairs. It is best to bring your own beach chairs. Staying at a B&B in Vineyard Haven is not the ideal place because there is little to do in Vineyard Haven and the parking is very limited in the town. The positive aspects are the innkeepers were helpful in providing information about the island. They also were very accomodating to our specific breakfast requests. I would definitely recommend staying at a B&B in Eadgertown or Oak Bluffs.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank chaunceybulldog
Reviewed March 9, 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at the inn reciently and wanted to brag about it, but had not thought of a reveiw online until remembering previous trips out of the country.

Having booked late, Thorncroft was the only place available on the weekend of the road race This concerned me, but my friend who lives on the island advised me it was charming and would enjoy it. I had concerns, but after talking on the phone with them during the reservation process I felt more at ease. Public transportation brought me to the door step right from the ferry. The outside was definitly period and true to island protocol. The inside was well appointed and comfortable. Prior to being inroduced to the room, I was presented with a tour of the building, advised of facilities available, and even discussed plans for my stay. The room was tucked upstairs; small but quaint. The fireplace was FANTASTIC for later in the evening. Bathroom was small with a shower stall and shower head which was appropriate for most people. Not for anyone 6'7" tall for sure. Television was small, but I was not there to watch TV.

My guest arrived and was escorted tot he room directly. We have been friends for 40 years, and fell out of touch but receintly reconnected. We found the ambiance of the room again FANTASTIC. After a marvelous steak dinner downtown, we returned for an evening of wine and romantic fire, followed by a great sleep on one of the most comfortable beds I have been on in years. Hot water was plentiful in the morning, and breakfast was tasty, warm and plentiful. My guest was a schoolmate of the innkeeper's wife, and spent much time reliving younger years and treasured memories. We stayed late and were disappointed to leave.

Would I return? The correct question is how soon will I return..

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PeterSLigas
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I will start by saying I enjoyed my stay at the Thorncroft, and that it is a decent B&B.
The owner is very helpful, and when you check in you get a very thorough introduction to the inn and the island. On top of that you will get good tips on restaurants, sightseeing, etc. A fireplace that is made ready to light every day when you come back is definitely nice too. Then there is a good breakfast with more than enough fruits and creative cooking to satisfy most. But, when my wife said she had an egg allergy, the staff member had to ask (!) if it was possible to have a breakfast without eggs, though. Not exactly the reaction you expect... Specially not at 350$ a night. And that is where the problem for me wit this inn lies. In short, it is overpriced. I agree with some of the reviewers here that at $350 or more per night you are entitled to expect more than what this inn offers.
Our room was small, and breathed the atmosphere of the early nineties - and that is not a good thing. Vinyl shutters, 14 inch tv for which you have to turn at a 90 degree angle in your bed, alarmclock from 1970 or so, and a very small room and bathroom. The pictures on the website are indeed a bit misleading, in that they portray the rooms as much bigger than they are.
If the price was lower it would be a good B&B, now: I cannot recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Summercamp Hotel
Summercamp Hotel
#3 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Thorncroft Inn? Share your experiences!