“A very disappointing $500 2 night stay”
Review of Hanover House

Hanover House
Ranked #4 of 11 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Hi,

My wife and I spent $500 for or a 2 night stay. I've never been motiviated to take the time to write a review but do depend on them. I am writing a review of the Hanover House.

The Pros:
The room was clean and the shower was hot.

The Cons:
There was no one at the front desk when we arrived. After calling, a woman did come promptly. There was nothing pleasant about the greeting. We were given our credit card reservation stapled to a list of things NOT to do. We were shown the area were the "Continental Breakfast" was available. "Each morning we offer a substantial breakfast that includes special homemade waffles, egg dishes, potatoes, and standard continental items." There was nothing like this. There was a shabby porch area with 2 or 3 tables that were not inviting at all.

As we walked to our room, we passed unkempt grounds with a broken cement birdbath, dead flowers and dirty, uninviting lawn furniture. At night, when we walked to town, the path leading to the street through the rear had steps with lights that were not lit.

Sleeping the first night was difficult because there was no apparent way to control the temperature of the room. The thermostat had unreadable labels. The air conditioner did not produce cold air.

On the 2nd nght, the 4 occupants of the adjacent room (#4) woke my wife and me up at 1:30 in the morning with shrieking cries that included the "F" word. This went on for 2 hours.

Martha's Vinyard is a beautiful place. When we return in the future, we will stay far away from the Hanover House. This is clearly an absentee owner who has other interests.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SemiAnnualTraveler
hanoverhouse, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2010

Our guests have very different arrival times and from time to time we are not able to be "right there" when you arrive. Most guests find our flexibility to your schedule a plus! We do have a new manager and reviews have been extremely positive. Don't know why your perception of our breakfast was less than stellar because we pride ourselves on the extensive breakfast and guest comments are extremely consistent that they generally don't need lunch and it's "awesome".
Our goal is to have every visit a FABULOUS one and we know from guestbook comments, number of repeat guests as well as the high number of visitors from referrals that we generally meet or exceed our own goals.

Reviewed October 27, 2008

We highly recommend Hanover House for your Vineyard stay.

- well-furnished rooms, and a very pretty yard

- convenient to Vineyard Haven (5 min walk), as well as located on the route for the local bus line

- great breakfast: they provide waffles, cereal, fresh-squeezed OJ, in addition to lighter "continental" fare

- Steve Perlman is quite attentive to his guests' requests; the Perlmans are very clearly customer-oriented, and it shows in all aspects

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2008

We had a wonderful stay here. The inn is just 10 min walk from ferry and downtown vineyard haven. We came here during the week , so the rate was good. Quiet , clean, charming and comfortable. The staff is kind. Excellent breakfast. We enjoyed visiting a wonderful old graveyard down the hill from there.
We would like to come back.

Peter & SJ

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2008

We had a great time here. The owner, Steve, was great fun. He was very good at recommending what to do on our one night on the island and generally entertaining us. The coffee and breakfast was great but the rooms are a little small.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2008

Wonderful stay. I recommend room #7, as it is just off the family room. We like seeing other people, so we just left our room door open and used the whole area as our own. If you want a more secluded stay, choose another. We stayed with our 11 year old daughter--room had a pullout couch.

I was concerned with some of the negative reviews below. But, now that I've stayed there, the negative reviewers seem to be the winey people who expect 5 star rooms for 2-3 star price. We stayed in the off-season, rate was $110 for three of us.

We arrived much earlier than expected. The door is always open, and we simply let ourselves in. There is a phone on the counter to call the staff if they are out. We did so and were in our room within minutes. The whole enclosed front porch and family room were accessible--no waiting in the cold, as someone compained of below.

Terrific hot showers, nice bedding. Can't think of anything that could have been better.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2007

My husband and I recently celebrated our one year anniversary on the island and chose to stay at the Hanover House Inn.

Steve and Judy could not have been more attentive during our stay. My husband and I arrived a bit early and had planned to leave our bags at the inn while we did some sightseeing until check-in time, however we were pleasantly surprised to find that our room was ready upon our arrival at noon. As others have commented, plusses to the property include a wonderfully inclusive breakfast (I think every breakfast food imaginable was on the menu) that left my husband and I full until supper, extremely comfortable linens/beds and robes as well as a clean comfortable room. We enjoyed both the complimentary gourmet coffees/teas throughout the day as well as the use of the sitting room and the patio for reading/playing board games. We thouroughly enjoyed the use of the bikes as there are several bike paths around the area some of which are along the beach.

The property is convenient to the bus line (it drops you off right in front) on the way to/from Edgartown and/or Oak Bluff as well as the ferry in VH. The inn is within walking distance of the ferry, however as one of the reviewers commented, we'd only suggest this if you have very few (or light) bags. While not in the downtown area of VH, it is on a main residential road, so the front rooms can be somewhat noisy due to the traffic. This was only a minor inconvenience for us however.

Very enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2007

Not my cup of tea.

For $177.50 per night – not worth it. I agree with the traveler from Cambridge -- my experience was also painful.

STAFF (“UM, customer service anyone???”/ “Aren’t we the customers?”):
Overall – rude and we felt very uncomfortable. I felt like they didn’t even want us there.

Upon check in: Apparently budget rent a car closes at 8pm at the airport. I called the hotel to make sure our info was current and also to inquire on a local taxi service or a shuttle that they might provide (budget thought the Hanover house had this). The lady on the phone (seemed like an older woman) was very rude and didn’t really care about how we would get to the B&B. Note for travelers flying into Martha’s Vineyard: If you’re renting a car, make sure they are open when you arrive. Budget rent a car is closed at 8pm. Doesn’t open until 8am.
During our stay: OK, we ran out of toilet paper. They must cost 50cents a roll. My husband went downstairs to ask for an extra roll of toilet paper and the older woman drilled us with questions with a puzzled look on her face. YES, we checked underneath the sink – we used that one up. YES, we are sure we need another freakin’ roll of toilet paper. I was ready to throw 2 quarters at her because I was so frustrated with the interrogation. Alas, I didn’t spit out 50cents because she slammed the one roll (we had to ration every synthetic square) on the counter.
During check out: We woke up a bit late and ran downstairs for the 9:30 breakfast. We told the man (I guess he’s the innkeeper) that we were going to need a ½ hour extra (check out is at 10am),which would come out to be a 10:30am check out. He said fine – not a problem. The older woman was standing next to him and starring at us. So, we went back upstairs to pack fast. I get a call and it’s the older woman. She said “Just a reminder – 10am check out.” (pause) – I was confused. I told her that we would need an extra ½ an hour and we told the man downstairs and he approved it. She said after gasping (either for air or she was pissed) “Well, he didn’t tell me and I need to tell the housekeepers so you should have told me.” (pause) Maybe she had dementia? Maybe she was suffering from Alzheimer’s? Nope, she was just a mean, rude woman that was pissed that we directed our concert to the man and not to her.
As we were leaving: She kept wanting to talk to my husband. He just politely said a couple of ‘no’s and ‘thank you’s to her. I could have sworn she called him the b word.

Location/Parking (“get ready to hike”): Not enough parking. If you arrive late (due to late flight or late night out on one of the wet towns) you have to park UP the street. Not convenient if you are older, disabled or even pregnant.

Breakfast (“get’s old after a while”): Well, if you’re staying for 2 days max – the breakfast is ok. I guess we’re spoiled coming from the bay area and we’ve stayed at other B&Bs where they serve you more than just waffles and eggs. OH, there is also potatoes that were burnt and microwaved every so often --- not very nice if you’re actually hungry in the morning. Oh, and the Innkeeper mentioned in his response that the breakfast is in the price of the room…..YES, we know that….that’s what a BED AND BREAKFAST IS! You get a bed and you get a breakfast….anyone could have figured that out. Plus, most bed and breakfast places are that way too! BUT they have better food.

B&B/room (“just ok”): Pretty clean. No room to hang clothes – well, you can always stuff your clothes in the drawers they provide and then spend time ironing on vacation….your call!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
The Clark House
The Clark House
#6 of 11 in Vineyard Haven

Been to Hanover House? Share your experiences!