“Great little place for muffins”

2nd Street Baking Co.
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Turners Falls
Description: FULL SERVICE BAKERY SERVING PASTRIES, WEDDING AND CUSTOM DECORATED CAKES, BREADS, AND LUNCH FARE
montague
“Great little place for muffins”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a great little corner bakery shop with yummy breads pies muffins. Get there early or they'll run out of my favorites!

• Visited May 2014
2ndStreetBaking, Owner at 2nd Street Baking Co., responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us!! And please let us know what your favorites are...maybe we need to be making more of them ;)

Greenfield, Massachusetts
“Good baked goods...when they're fresh”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

2nd Street Bakery was always a favorite of mine. After the move, however, I've noticed that it's never a given that the baked goods are fresh. I would say that more often than not, they are not fresh. I just returned with a lemon shortbread cookie that was so obviously stale! Last week it was a hermit. Before that, cupcakes. Before that, a lemon pound-cake that was stale. And on and on. Now I ask every time when things were baked... I never get a straight answer. So I'm not gambling anymore. GreenField's Market is a much better bet.
There is a food pantry at your back door. Donate the 'days old' things there. Try a 'few days old' shelf that's 1/2 off. For the prices there, this stuff should be fresh! The prices have been high since you first opened. But when things were fresh, it was at least worth it.
(The cinnamon buns move so quickly that they're the only things you can count on!)
As noted in other reviews, many of the baked goods are much too sweet.
Service is often very slow, even with many employees in other areas. And also, unfortunately, tables and the service area are not clean.
I think the only time that you can count on freshly made baked goods at 2nd Street is during the holidays. So a review is entirely dependent upon the day you go. There is no consistency.

• Visited May 2014
2ndStreetBaking, Owner at 2nd Street Baking Co., responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you were unhappy with our products! We make every effort to ensure our baked goods are fresh and we discount them to our day old bin or donate them as necessary. If, at any time, you feel you have received an unsatisfactory product, please return it for a refund or equivalent store credit! We are always looking for opportunities to improve, and as we are a very small and very busy place, it is helpful to have some dialogue with our customers.
Newton, Massachusetts
“Favorite place to grab breakfast in the morning”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I love the breakfast sandwiches and bagels. I've never really been here for more than breakfast related activities but everything else looks wonderful.

• Visited May 2014
2ndStreetBaking, Owner at 2nd Street Baking Co., responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Thank you so much for the great review, Nils! We are so happy you enjoy our bakery. Come back and see us soon!
Albany, New York
“Great food- dissapointed in the cost”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I really love this bakery, often stopping in for breakfast on the way to work. Recently I got a large garden salad and was very disappointed with not only the price but the quality. The container was only half full of lettuce and I was told all the salads are now the same price! I paid the same price for , lettuce,onions,carrots and cukes as my friend who got the west coast salad which has meat on it? I have been very disappointed with prices at this bakery lately and will not be stopping in as much and unfortunately my salad ordering days are over.

• Visited March 2014
2ndStreetBaking, Owner at 2nd Street Baking Co., responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Hi Mary C, thank you for the feedback, and we are very sorry you were not satisfied with your salad. We are also disappointed whenever we to have to raise our food prices, but as our supply costs have risen more than 30% over the last 2 years we could not absorb the increases any longer and continue to be a viable business. Your veggie salad should have included our house made roasted red pepper hummus in place of the chicken your friend had on her salad; if you did not receive it, do please let us know and we would be happy to offer you a reduction on your next bakery purchase to compensate! Thank you for your business!
Turners Falls, Massachusetts
“wonderful local bakery!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

their baked goods are very good, always a HUGE election of treats to choose from. Croissants, muffins, bagel breakfast sandwiches, cookies, pies, fresh breads, brownies, fruit tarts, etc, etc. They always have 3 soups and there is a nice variety in their choices of sandwiches and salads. GREAT COFFEE The space is a bit cramped, not conducive to hanging out and there is no Wi-Fi (maybe they don't want lingerers?). My only complaint is that in general I think many of their sweets are too sweet (especially the buttercream on their cakes) I like sweets, but they tend to go overboard on the sugar content IMO. Also, it would be really great if they offered gluten free option, although its probably impossible to maintain any sort of strict gluten free environment.

Visited January 2014
2ndStreetBaking, Owner at 2nd Street Baking Co., responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for your kind words! We're so glad you enjoy our bakery. And yes, you are correct on both points! With our somewhat limited seating we are unable to offer WI-FI at this time. We have future plans to expand our seating into a 4 season greenhouse room constructed over the existing patio which would double our seating capacity! We also do offer several products that are "gluten free" such as our Sesame Almond Cookies, Macaroons, Strawberry Almond Bars, GF Chocolate Chip Cookies, Almond Brownies, and even cakes and chocolate and vanilla cupcakes (although these are by special order only normally). We cannot, however, make the claim that anything we produce is completely gluten free, as we are a gluten filled environment. And we're working on a new frosting offering for 2014, a Swiss Meringue that will be much lighter and less sweet than our traditional butter cream! stay tuned ;)