“One of Cape Cod's Best”

Greenville, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of Cape Cod's Best”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had an exceptional meal at Blackfish. Interesting, sophisticated menu with an eclectic flair. Get the pork belly app!!! It is absolutely delicious. Great wine and drink list with staff that are truly invested in making your dining experience one to remember. Went last Friday and place was very busy. Pretty little hostess greeted us with smile and promptly sat us in the back. We loved the ambiance of the room as it is surrounded entirely by greenery. Our waiter was spot on with recommendations and guided us with wine list as well. We had the short ribs and they were melt in your mouth good!! Dessert options are also very lovely. My favorite restaurant on Cape Cod by far!! Go here you will not be sorry.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Marion C

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Cape cod's best hands down”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Imagination, focus,execution, impeccable ingredients, invested service staff. You'd be lucky to do this well in Boston. Dont bring your cardiologist. Do indulge, and book early for weekends. Go ahead, try the pork belly app, or the short ribs nearly melted in the richest brown stock, the beet carpaccio satisfies this rabid carnivore. Enjoy. Then go back

• Visited September 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Truro Treasure”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

In between Provincetown and Wellfleet with their lovely eateries one can find Blackfish at Truro Center. An excellent restaurant of haut cuisine preparations of New England fresh and where possible locally sourced fresh ingredients. Save room for fabulous desserts.

Visited August 2013
Berwyn, Pennsylvania
“Sublime”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This restaurant was wonderful. We had messed up our reservation (not the restaurant's fault) and they were quite full, but the hostess calmly told us not to worry. We had a drink at the packed bar (my wife's Old Fashioned was the best she ever had) and were seated in good time. The food and servce were simply perfect. My wife and I shared the large ribeye steak, which was cooked and seasoned perfectly (the truffle butter was a touch of heaven). The steak was accompanied by wonderful potato chips (these had nothing to do with bagged potato chips!) and creamed spinach, both of which were superb. My wife and I agreed that we had never had a better steak. Our friend had the panko crusted sole, with asparagus and mashed cauliflower -- she pronounced it "fabulous"! We were too full for dessert, but suspect it would have been heavenly. Our waitress was friendly, knowledgable and helpful -- our food was delivered timely and hot. We could not think of anything that could be improved in this restaurant and we recommend it without reservation (although we do recommend making a reservation!).

• Visited October 2013
Orleans, Massachusetts
“Michelin multistar cuisine in a blue jean casual atmosphere”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I would have rated this at five stars, but I reserve that for more elegance and a broader wine list. This is the second time that we have eaten there -- both times truly excellent. My wife and I both ordered their fried Wellfleet oysters for an appetizer. The dip was amazingly subtle: like a really good wine, separate layers of flavor kept emerging to enhance the oysters. The latter were perfectly cooked with just the right amount of batter and no oil flavor whatsoever. I could easily have ordered two more of these servings of six and made that my meal -- but I'm glad that I did not because my entree was so spectacular. I am a sucker for wild mushrooms, so when I saw a pasta dish featuring those, I passed right over the other main dishes all of which looked delicious. The mushrooms ranged from ceps to tiny little things measuring with stems and caps one to two inches. Fabulous. My wife had the hake which was perfectly cooked, moist and very mild, over a bed of barley, farro, and a lot of very subtle spices. James Beard could not have cooked the hake any better.

The wine list was not extensive, but adequate. I was pleased to find a bottle of Hamilton Russell South African chardonnay which we had not had since visiting some friends there almost a decade ago. Brought back some nice memories, but the really good thing is that the wine markup was only about 50% over retail!

Service was constantly attentive to our needs without being pushy. Unfortunately, Blackfish is a seasonal restaurant and will be closing very soon -- just when I need something like this to get me through another dreary New England winter.

• Visited October 2013