“Wish it was closer to home! 'Id eat there every week...”
Review of Blackfish

Blackfish
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Truro
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We are regular visitors to the Cape. A few years back, we drove past this place after boating all day and noticed a small wrought iron fish out front with an even smaller sign that read "Dinner 5pm". We figured what the heck and made reservations for the next day. (Speaking of reservations, they seem to be a must at this place)
We arrived and were treated to what my wife and I now consider to be our "favorite" restaurant. We ended up going back two more times that week.
It seems that everything at this place is uber-fresh and extremely locally sourced. We love the salads, the breads, the humice dip with olive oil and of course the entrees. I seem to have a habit of ordering the farmers steak with their Burbon sauce...(quite possibly the most complex, best tasting sauce that I have ever had to accompany such a decedent slice of meat).
My wife always opts for the fish and this place leaves us with every note rung true time after time.
Our favorite app is the mushrooms on toast points, which at first glance may seem a little strange but..let me tell you...Im dying for a quick bite of those points right now..
My only regret in writing this review is that more people may end up there and cause me to have a harder time making my next reservation. If that's going to be the case, then please disregard my rating to dine here and move onto somewhere else.
Id like to keep this off the beaten path gem all to myself.
Cant wait to see them again!

2  Thank boatyug
There are newer reviews for Blackfish

Reviewed November 11, 2011

This is one of the better restaurants on the outer cape, with consistently good food, knowledgeable, friendly service and the unique atmostphere of a seafood restaurant in an old blacksmith's shop. I generally always order the fish, although their burgers are also very good. The accouterments set Blackfish apart. The mashed potatoes, lentils and the generous application of fresh greens and vegetables add something make every dish special.
On our last visit my lady asked that they substitute for the cauliflower mashed potatoes. They did come out with the cauliflower mashed, and they offered to fix it, but we kept them and swapped plates because I like them. So, no one is perfect.
If you're visiting the Cape and want to find a hidden gem, this is as good as it gets.

Reviewed October 26, 2011

My husband and I visited Blackfish twice during our recent week long stay on Cape Cod. We loved the food so much we had to go back! Our meal at Blackfish wasn't much more expensive than any other of the nicer restaurants we dined at, but the quality of the food was worth every penny. I had a seafood stew which was delicious and my husband had a burger that he said was cooked exactly to his liking. We split a beef salad that was on special, and it was wonderful, definitely one of those dishes I'll be craving for some time to come. The presentation of the food is very elegant. I highly recommend Blackfish for a special meal out on the Cape!

1  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed October 10, 2011

My husband and I happened to be in the neighborhood and stopped in for an early dinner. We had never eaten there, nor had we heard anything about it, so we had no idea what to expect. We were shown to the only unreserved table. They were expecting a crowd that night.
The decor is pleasant, and I especially liked the window that looked out on the greenery outside, which had been lit in a subtle way that reminded me of an aquarium.
Let me say right off the bat that despite complaints I read on this site regarding the service, our server was helpful, polite, well-informed regarding the menu and ingredients, and the pace of service was spot on - not too fast or too slow.
I started with 6 wild Wellfleet oysters on the half shell. My husband had the seared foie gras. These appetizers were both good. With our meal, we had a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc recommended by our server and it was delicious.
My main course was baked halibut. I must say I found it a bit strange that they would feature this fish from the west coast, when they tout their local meats and produce. The fish was OK, but a bit overcooked, and it sat on a bed of lentils that did nothing to enhance the flavor of the dish. I left most of them on the plate. My husband ordered the veal chops, which he said were quite good.
We finished our meal with a panacotta with cranberry sauce, which was excellent.
The meal as a whole was all right, but there was nothing that made us roll our eyes heavenward and say we had to come back for more. Considering that the bill came to nearly $150 without the tip, the cuisine really did not measure up to the prices. It was a pleasant evening, but I don't think we would return.

2  Thank genevaRhodeIsland
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Following a wonderful prior visit to Blackfish, our expectations were confidently high as we arrived for dinner bringing an out of town friend with us for her first visit to the restaurant. Our friend has an extreme allergy to garlic which we told our server as soon as we were seated. The server seemed immediately put off and annoyed and swept away from the table to "ask the chef." She returned very quickly and offered only one possibility from the entire menu, the most expensive menu item, at that. She showed no patience when we asked if something couldn't be prepared "off the menu" without any garlic. Her curt reply was that everything had been prepped ahead of time and there was no way to provide a garlic-free meal. Really? In 2011? A restaurant considered to be fine dining cannot or will not make an effort to respect the customer, particularly when an allergy, a serious health issue, is at stake? Disgraceful. To her credit, the manager, when pressed, offered up two other possibilities and was actually very sweet and kind. Our server, however, was very close to hostile for the duration of our stay. The bus person and manager both did their best to tacitly apologize for the server in their efforts to make sure we enjoyed our visit but the server's blatant rudeness was inexcusable.

3  Thank TruroGuy