“Be careful what you order and bring a flashlight”
Review of Blackfish

Blackfish
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Truro
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I have hesitated to write this review because in the past I have had good dining experiences at Blackfish, and this most recent visit was surely an exception, but there are some things worth mentioning.

Before getting to the cons, the pros are: the dessert was superb and the waitress was wonderful.

First of all, ambience. In theory it is lovely, an old blacksmith shop, beams, tools-of-the-trade, etc., a garden-y feeling in the back room; in practice it is not so successful. The poor acoustics make it difficult to converse. The tables are so close together your neighbors' conversations flow into yours and vice-versa because everyone is shouting, even the waiters, to be heard.

The lighting is oddly designed so I was sitting under a tracklight spot and my companion across the table, was sitting in the dark and unable to read the menu. (A neighboring diner came prepared and brought a small flashlight for this purpose. The menu is printed in tasteful, subdued neutral tones, very pretty but impossible to read in low light.)

Now to the food. Anyone who has ever worked in a restaurant will tell you never to order the "specials". I should have heeded this advice but fell for the wonderful-sounding gnocchi with confit de canard. What arrived was a bowl of liquified duck fat with four or five sadly disintegrating gnocchi at the bottom of it and several slivers of tough, stringy duck. My companion also had disappointment with a tuna bolognese over papardelle. The sauce was fine but the pasta had the texture of boiled cardboard. That said, we saw several great-looking dishes pass by on their way to other tables, so I admit, we probably should chalk this up to poor choice. However, I thought it worth describing the total experience diners should expect, not just the cuisine.

6  Thank Rasha36

Reviewed June 30, 2011

This is one of the best meals I've enjoyed in the Wellfleet to Provincetwon area.

No harsh notes. Just right.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

We've been visiting this part of the Cape for years, but only now discovered Blackfish. We'll definitely be back. The food is really creative and well-prepared and the prices are reasonable for the level of cuisine. We had amazing mussels with fennel and sausage, beet carpaccio, sole, seafood stew, papardelle with tuna bolognese and a scallop special. All delicious, pleasant service in a nice dining room.

Reviewed June 29, 2011

Four of us ate from across the menu -- buttermilk battered oysters and fois gras, sole, steak salad, fish stew, honey cake. It was all wonderfully presented, well flavored and balanced, delicious. And, we were very well treated -- attentive service without being intrusive, friendly and, for us, a server with an uncanny ability to recommend the right thing.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was my first stop on the cape. The staff are very friendly and service is great! I had the pork belly appetizer that was glazed with hoisin sauce over corn polenta. It couldn't be any better-absolutely scrumptious. The only suggestion i have is that bring a big appetite. The chef could definitely save costs here by offering two pieces instead of three for an appetizer. As you leave so full that there isn't any way patrons can finish an entree. I had the panko breaded sole with a lemmon caper butter sauce with asparagus and cauliflower mash. It was fabulous both for dinner and for brunch the next day. This restaurant is pricy but worth it. The cocktail list is good too. They make one of the best negronis. This is worth the drive to truro for a dinner that won't disappoint for a special occasion and if you are visiting provincetown and the cape. I will definitely come back here.