“WARNING!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Horton's Camping Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Truro
Horton's Camping Resort
Massachusetts
“WARNING!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2008

My husband and I had been to Horton's previously (10 years or more ago) and had a horrible experience.... we were kicked out for driving a second vehicle to our site to unload camping gear as our other vehicle was small and could only hold groceries and clothing and our children.
The owner followed us to the site and told us to remove the second vehicle. My husband said he would as soon as he emptied it. He was told to do it now or leave... we left.
This year we decided maybe after a decade things had changed and decided (because the other campgrounds were filled) to try it again..and we only had one vehicle.
When we arrived two lovely Irish girls were at the desk and gave us our site number (no owner in sight). We drove through he gates and noticed the campground was virtually empty (not a god sign). Out of the many many sites only 3 were occupied.. THIS in JULY on the Cape!!!We got to the site and began unloading our things when we heard screaming and yelling. It was HIM. He was berating a young mother for setting up a second small tent on her site to put her small child porta-crib in for a nap. She was trying to explain that it was small, only up for the afternoon nap and was was yelling one tent to a site that she'd have to pay for an additional site and put the tent on THAT!!!
My husband looked at me, I nodded and we left. And yes, all the other campground owners know about Mr. Horton. I truly wondered with 2-3 campers per night how does he stay in business?? Hopefully he will sell soon and that beautiful campground can be enjoyed by campers peacefully.

Stayed July 2008
3 Thank VaCaNutt

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
tulipzag
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2007

I have never run into person in the customer service industry who is such a tyrannt as Bob Horton. He enjoys finding fault in people so he can impose his "rules" on them and give them a hard time. He does not care one bit about providing a pleasant experience for families.

The red flags should have went up when I called two days in advance and they had openings. All the other sites I called were booked.

After leaving mid-stay, we went to Adventure Bound - North Truro Camping Area - highly recommended - and we heard several horror stories about Horton's from people who also left mid stay simply for some peace and relaxation. The staff of that campground also had their share of stories to tell from talking with customers.

It is a shame anyone should have to experience a person like this while on vacation. If you already booked - cancel! Stay far away from Horton's.

• Liked — How it looked in the review mirror when we were leaving
  • Disliked — The Owner - he is a miserable person who wants to make other miserable as well
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank tulipzag
western mass
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

I spent Labor Day weekend 2007 at Horton's Campground Resort and left with a very bad taste in my mouth.

On the last day of my visit I was biking with my family on the Head of Meadows trail just north of the campground. We were running a bit behind, enjoying the last hours of our vacation. Shortly after noon I left my wife and two year old daughter on the beach and hustled back to Horton's campground to pack up the last of our stuff and check out. I had heard that the staff at Horton's could be a bit bristly so I wanted to make sure I checked out before the 1 PM deadline to avoid any hassles. I got my site cleaned up, the car packed and was ready to roll out of there just before 1. I got in the car, hit the ignition and nothing -- the car battery was dead. I walked up to the office and explained my situation to the guy at the desk, told him I was concerned about checking out late but I just needed to jump my car and I'd be on my way. Without offering anything in the way of help all the guy said to me was 'you'd better be quick' and muttered something about his manager not being happy. I went back to my car and tried to get it jumped with my friend's car. About this time the campground manager came rolling up on a golf cart, I again explained the situation and off he went, again with very few words and no offer to help me out in any way. The jump-start didn't take so I sent my friends to go pick up my family on the beach, went back up to the office to let them know what was happening and called a tow truck to come out and give me a jump. I told the manager that the tow truck would be out in 40 minutes and we should be good to go. My family got back to Horton's and we tried the jump with my friend's car again and this time it took. We headed up to the office to check out, it was now 2:20, a mere hour and twenty minutes past check-out time. I returned my card key and they returned my deposit and then came the kick to the gut -- the manager asked me to pay a five dollar fee for 'checking out so late.' I was in such shock that I could hardly protest and just gave the guy his five bucks to get out of there cursing him under my breath. Five bucks, for what? The campground wasn't even full, it wasn't like there was someone lined up and waiting to take my spot. I was ready to go at 1, all he had to do was send one of half a dozen of his employees down with the camp truck to give me a jump and I would have been out of there at 1:15. Instead the manager choose to sit by idly while I flailed in the hot sun, waiting to collect his measly five dollars, what a jerk.

If you're looking for a nice place to camp on the Cape with your family and friends I strongly recommend looking past Horton's Campground Resort and finding somewhere that will show you more kindness and treat you with a little more respect. I know I'm looking for a new spot next summer.

• Disliked — The staff.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
      Rooms
3 Thank nohoneal
MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2007

Campground was ok but the owner and customer service was awful. One thing I will say the younger folks that work there were very nice and helpful. The owner is known around town to be verbally aggressive and not very nice, not a place I would go back to or reccomend to anyone. Do yourslf a favor and go some where else.

• Liked — seeing our friends
  • Disliked — the owner
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank NEcamper
Boston,MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

When we arrived things seemed ok, but when we explained that some friends who were joining us might arrive just after 9 pm because they were driving in from such a long distance, well that was it as far as the owner was concerned. Though we had all of our friends info to register them, and pay, (yes you pay per person and per car,) so that the staff could go home and not wait on us, the owner went nuts he started screaming if they are not here by 9pm they cannot come in. But I'm not sure what was worse him yelling at us or at his staff, who we think were all teenagers from overseas working in America for the summer. I'm sure they have great things to say about their stay in our country!! At 5 minutes after 9 our friends who had just driven through 4+ hours of traffic had to try and find another place to stay on Cape Cod in the middle of high season with no reservations. The owner then followed our friends to a near by corner store waiting to see if they were going to try and sneak back in... This was simply an awful experience. I emailed the owner on my PDA that night to try and come to some resolution but nothing... all other camp grounds on the Cape were full and we had to stay. As we called around to other resorts the person on the other end of the phone laughed every time, they knew the owner of the camp ground and his reputation, "sorry we wish there was a way that we could help you out but we're full" was what we heard from everyone. Save your money and your mind never go to Hortons it was the worst experience!

Stayed August 2007
5 Thank VBC121
Dayton, OH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2007

The campground itself was ok and the 'lots' were a decent size, but it really didn't matter because to go here is to descend into the 7th circle of hell. I thought it was odd that this place was so empty, but after our run-ins with the owner of this place, I see why.

I don't think I have it in me at this point to describe in detail all that happened, to make a long story short, he basically kicked us off his campground because we'd setup a pup-tent on our lot next to our RV. (Keep in mind that you pay for each person who is in your party, so it's not like we were trying to avoid paying anything).

In the end, though I was not present for the final foray, he was yelling and screaming at my sister-in-law and my 15 year old daughter. It was so bad that other people in line actually started yelling at HIM telling him what an [--] he was.

Stay away from this place. This owner is rule-crazy, he really doesn't care about anything but you following his silly little rules to the letter, if you run afowl of him, you'll regret it.

If my review doesn't convice you otherwise, google this campsite and read all the other reviews out there.. This man is a MENACE. and the most horrible human being I have ever met.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank dlangh
MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

Customer service at this "resort" is awful! We were letting relatives borrow a camper and were bringing it down to set it up. The campground (not *resort*) knew of the situation in advance and didn't seem to have a problem with it. When we got there, they wouldn't let us on the property without the relative. We told them that we were just setting it up for them and leaving but were still refused. We were then rudely told that we could not stay on the property with the camper and had to come back when the relative got there. That left us driving around Truro with a camper for 2 hours in the summer traffic. After arriving with the relative, they had to pay almost $20 in visitor fees just for the privilege of setting up our camper for them. Our relatives had to leave their car behind a barn while we brought the camper in because only 1 car was allowed on site. The rules at this campground are ridiculous. Their "full hookups" also do not include sewerage hookups and if you want to use your airconditioner, it's an additional fee. The owner would be around to check if you were using the a/c or not if you chose not to pay for it. The playground is also very outdated and consisted of swings only. The customer service at this place was awful and they do not know the meaning of hospitality. Stay far away from this one when looking for a place to stay.

16 Thank MamaMulla
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
Sandbars on Cape Cod Bay
#1 of 11 in North Truro
Outer Reach Resort
Outer Reach Resort
#4 of 11 in North Truro

Been to Horton's Camping Resort? Share your experiences!