Review of Terra Luna

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I went to this place for my birthday 14 years ago and had been there several times with equally good results. Everything was wonderful of their Italian foods. This time I ordered a steak, live and learn. There was really nothing terrible about it, but could not compare to the great home made pasta and sauces I had the last time I was there. The waiter was very helpful. When I asked for merlot, he and the bartender offered a taste of two different reds so that I could make a choice. I loved that! The service was good. The AC was inadequate for such a hot day, the windows were open and I was a little sunburnt so I wasn't completely comfortable. The waiter was very attentive. The restaurant hadn't gotten to the full dinner hour so he had some time to spend with me. He was very personable. I would give them one more try and only order their Italian dishes. I spent 103 with tip including a salad, main course, a specialty drink, wine. Can't remember if I had dessert. I think I was too full. Wish I could turn back the clock

• Visited June 2012

West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Very disappointed that their sign outside says they open at 7 for breakfast. One day we got up early specifically to go there, and the door was locked. If you are going to advertise you are open for breakfast and you will be closed on a Monday, your signage should make that clear. Ugh. Whole family was disappointed.

• Visited July 2012
Bonaire
“Lessons Learned”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We were a group of local foodies who used to dine at Terra Luna years back. We had been 4-5 times oh, about 20 years ago. We had heard the amazing food and service was back so a group of 5 of us rode the 50 minutes from mid Cape to dine. The staff from start to finish were very kind. The bussers who appeared 1 hour into our meal to provide bread were sweet. The hostess tried to inform me well (when I approached her) about the problems. What else was great? The art work is lovely. The setting is rustic but tight and loud. The small garden is lovely. The menu in appearance is amazing. The wine list was great. Drinks were cold and delicious. But...

I have been in food service 30 years. There were some significant flaws last night. The bartender is meticulous so much so, the wait for drinks is quite long. The waiter could not control this. They need someone running a service bar for the wait staff OR a way for the waitstaff to serve their own beer and wine rather than wait while the bartender concocts a Side Car or other drink. The lovely bread I fondly remember from years back is gone and replaced is the standard restaurant fare Pain Davignon type roll with nice olive oil. The rolls were crispy but stale. Our waiter took our order prior to the large table of 10 that arrived after us. He confirmed my choice for a grilled squid app was perfect. I also chose the Sicilian Littlenecks with no meat. My app appeared and looked lovely. The actual squid turned out nearly impossible to cut and very gummy inside. Our waiter never checked to ask how our meals were so I never gave any feedback. He cleared efficiently. The bus girl at the end did ask how we liked our meals. I told her mine was average. My pasta dish had about 10 little necks on a bed of al dente boxed boring pasta. The sauce was a typical marinara. Nothing special. My friend said his tune was ok. My other friend LOVED her Flounder special. No one else was wowed.

At one point the entire restaurant was waiting for food. Only one table had dinners. I realized we were in for a long wait so went outside for 15 minutes to cool off. When I came back in I asked the hostess what was wrong. She said they had problems in the kitchen. I explained I understood things happen and would not give a bad review BUT I realized I had to write something in the event this is commonplace. We arrived early at 6 45 for a 7 res and left close to 10. We wanted dessert but were fearful it would take an hour. When we left, the place had emptied out and not ONE staff was around to thank us or say goodbye. Very odd experience. Our bill for 5 wines, 2 Gin and Tonics, 2 Margaritas, 2 Mojitos, 4 apps and 5 entrees was 264.00 before tip. I asked the person paying with their card (we put in card and cash) to tip 20% despite the course of the evening. I hope it was a one time experience but doubt we will chance it ...We planned this evening for months and left feeling quite disappointed. Lesson learned by me, stay home on pre 4th of July nights..dining out on Cape Cod can be very challenging during the holidays.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank caribchakita
sf, ca
“Great Menu, very good food”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

One of those menus so hard to choose! Had seafood on pasta with smokey hot tomato sauce and took bites of clam pasta and fig/honey plate and pasta with vegetarian toppings. Husband had squid app special. All ingredients tasted so fresh. Waiter was very weak. Could not describe (or did not want to) any of the items, except for the cucumber soup! The dessert of the corn meal pudding and puddings was to die for. Wine list great. Casual old structure with beautiful gardens.

Visited August 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fabulous”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I went to this restaurant after I read a write up in the Boston Globe. I had the fried goat cheese appetizer and my husband had the oysters with butter and tarragon. This is a chef that knows his/her spices and takes advantage of locally sourced foods. For my main dish I had the sea bass special. It was smothered in herbs and served with locally grown blue potatoes . Divine. Flavors were truly succulent. A really funky and romantic interior (it's an old carriage house) with a truly amazing art collection. The wine list is fantastic and so are the specialty martinis made with fresh squeezed lemonade! The staff is very friendly yet professional, and attentive. If you're on the Outer Cape this place is not to missed.

• Visited August 2011