“Great views, horrible client experience...”

Highland Golf Links
Ranked #9 of 12 Outdoor Activities in Truro
More attraction details
Owner description: Developed in 1892, Highland is the oldest golf course on Cape Cod, and one of the most spectacular.
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I booked a tee-off for 6:30 am on a weekday this summer. The course was beautiful, I was alone and although I was suppose to be the first one to tee-off, their was a twosome in front of me. Nevertheless, I played quickly my nine holes and I wanted to play another one since I was back at the clubhouse by 7:30. The staff was so rude, especially the starter who lectured me for a good 5-6 minutes, that I left rather then spend the money encouraging these peoples.

There was only one golfer I could see at 7:30, I was obviously a quick player in their eyes and it would have been easy to let me play another round, even if I had reserved for nines holes. To be fair, when I called they didn't offer or explained that I was booking only nines holes and that it would be a problem to play 18 holes.

But I wasn't in the mood to beg for that second round of 9 holes and left. I love golf and I don't ever remember a bad round anywhere. Except at Highland...

3  Thank lcf2001

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I've been wanting to play Highland Links for many years, having first seen it maybe 15 years ago. Touted as the oldest course in the US, its really a nine hole gem and just what you'd imagine Scotland golf would be. The holes include dramatic elevation changes as well as dramatic, rolling fairways, at least dramatic to this flatland golfer. Holes run up and down over rolling duneland, as well as in valleys between the duneland. Many blind shots and narrow fairways.

We played in mid-September from the back tees, which made it seem substantial, though the card only says something like 2700 yards. Fairways are narrow and the rough is not your typical taller grass but varying degrees of grasses, straw-like grass, and various local vegetation. Easy to lose a ball, tough to get out of is you do find it. Fairways and greens were in great condition and the greens were a little slow, yet small, hard and difficult to hold without a well struck shot.

Not on the edge of the bluffs overlooking the Atlantic, but close enough to hear the breakers and see the Atlantic on a few holes. On one hole there's a short path to an overlook with quite a drop off to the beach. There are two holes on the 'other side' of a path that leads non-golfing visitors to the bluffs overlooking the ocean which are a bit of a letdown compared to the first 7 but still enjoyable.

The round went too fast and the tariff is a bit pricey for 9 holes ($35 + hand cart rental) but I don't regret a penny of it. Come back later in the year and play on the honor system for $20.00 and all the holes you can manage. Takes me 6.-7 hours to get to Cape Cod but I still might head back up in November. It'll be cold enough to really think I am in Scotland.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Let me start this review by saying I never actually got to play the course. As others have stated I'm sure it's a good playing experience . From the parking lot it looked like a great course. We got to the "clubhouse" only to be lectured by the attendant about being on time. We were 5 minutes early. They obviously were incredibly overbooked and struggling to keep up. After our lecture we were told to talk with the club ranger, who was equally as rude and impersonable, to see if they could still get us out for our booked tee time. After jockeying with the ranger for a couple minutes I realized that it wasn't worth the hassle to play this course and we left to play the Captains course about 20 minutes away in Brewster. It was a terrific decision. The course was gorgeous. Overall, because of the extremely rude and impatient staff, I would not give this course my business ever again.

8  Thank Matthew S
Reviewed July 18, 2012

No idea how it is rates top 100 in world. Not even top 100 in Canada.
And it is NOT a links. It is a mountain course that is 100% target golf. It is a nice course but not 1 hole is a links golf hole.

3  Thank mdjwales
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Like a scottish links course....great walk...I kid my friends...pay the greens fee, leave the clubs in the car and walk the course....scenery is incredible

1  Thank higuy1001