“Filthy, unsafe, in disrepair Poor General Manager Shawn Rodriquenz”

Residence Inn Boston Tewksbury/Andover
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Tewksbury
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was the dirtiest Marriott I have ever been in. My wife and I planned a month vacation in the Boston area for a wedding and time with our family . When we checked in they put us in the farthest building from the office. I asked then if the had something closer as my wife has MS and has trouble walking they moved us to the building close to the office and the pool. That is when the problems started over the July 4th week end a local ( someone from town) rented the room next to us they then had over fifty people in the room and the pool are grilling crock pots . There was no place for hotel guest to go. There were babies in diapers in the pool there was a play pen put in the pool children were left unsupervised. These unregister guests were foul mouthed often abusing the young female life guard. The water quality was never tested . I called the city board of health to inspect the pool and they found numerous problems. Our room was equipped with a dishwasher and after a take out lunch we tried to run the dishwasher. It didn't work . I went to the front desk and the said the knew it was broken for two weeks and they hadn't fixed it because they were using the room were in for overnight stays and the did not use the dishwasher. I asked if some could check it out because we would be there a month. When we came home from shopping the dishwasher was sitting in the middle of the kitchen . My wife had to lay down so I napped on the couch . About an hour later I could smell wires burning and saw steam from the dishwasher . I had maintenance come right over because I thought there might be a fire. The maintenance man said oh I forgot to disconnect it. We told the Hotel we wanted to leave as we felt unsafe. The staff was disrespectful . We called Marriott with no help , We went all the way to JW Marriott's office and it took over a week to have the manager call us. I have lost respect for both Marriott customer service and control of the brand by letting this run down hotel have its name on the door. Stay away at all costs!

2  Thank charles k

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stay at Residence Inn's frequently, but this was one of my favorites. Maybe because of the beautiful location or maybe just because of the staff. I was here for business and was supposed to stay for 3 weeks, but unfortunately, had to leave after 1 week. I squeezed a few more days out of my trip to see the sights! I will definitely stay at this RI when I return to Mass (hopefully soon). The location was convenient and accessible to many parts of Mass and close enough to Boston. My room was great (as always) and I had adequate room to use the computer, relax, and sleep without being in the same space. It really felt like home! The staff, as previously mentioned, were all very sweet and accommodating. The breakfast and evening social were awesome, serving a great variety of food and saving me $. I still think it's amazing that they do that there. Even the workout room was decent, as I actually did use it twice. Oh...almost forgot. They have two hammocks nestled in the trees near the pool area- soooo relaxing!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jenbflohr
ShawnRIGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Tewksbury/Andover, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for the great review of our property. Here at the Residence Inn Tewksbury we pride ourselves on our commitment to service and creating a "like home" atmosphere for all to enjoy. I am glad that you did just that and hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

The suite rooms at the hotel are a good size for a family, and the breakfast is a good way to start the day. Staff is pleasant and helpful. It's nice to have a pool for the kids to play in.

However, initially we were given a first floor room in one of the outer buildings, and it was so damp in there that the carpet felt damp when you walked on it, and it smelled damp, and we found silverfish. So I would recommend that you request a room in the main building or on the second or third floors of the outer buildings.

The couches in the living areas of the suites are incredibly uncomfortable. The buildings look worn. There are a lot of bugs around - at least in the summer. It feels expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: Request a room either in the main building or on the 2nd or 3rd floors. There is some noise from the...
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had stayed at another Residence Inn, in Andover, before but they were sold out and referred us here. While not as pretty as the Andover property (which is in a leafy office park), this property was very convenient to 495 and staffed by very friendly people (we dealt with two front desk folks and a very nice maintenance guy). We were traveling on vacation and had dogs with us, they were great about them, gave us a ground-floor room and pointed us to the pet area. Room was nice, clean, sylish, roomy and well stocked. Great rate too. We will be back.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

looked good at first got into very musty room and bathroom door wont close,did speak to front dest re new room none available but said would ionize room but we would have to leave asked if another room available later in week told no Not a great start to what was supposed to be a great trip to Boston and Salem

Room Tip: ask for close to pool
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I was invited to take care of my toddler granddaughter and my elderly grandkitten, while the parents prepared a new home for their arrival. We stayed 5 nights [booked 4 and were given the 5th] and really enjoyed our little suite. Just enough room to spread out games and puzzles without bumping into furniture. A very nice little 'living room' with a pullout sofa, a nice WiFi desk for grandmommy, and a table with hidden ottoman which was perfect for making a 'fort'. The small kitchen was very well equipped, and convenient for our lunches. We went out to dinner with the whole family each night. The complimentary breakfast downstairs was terrific -- everything we ever wanted to try in the morning. All of the staff were friendly and courteous, the breakfast crew was particularly nice and efficient. We were grateful for the pet policy, including a magnet to place on the outside of our door indicating there was a pet inside. However, that leads to my only complaint. Because it was an extended stay, and a skittish old cat, we took care of our own linens, supplies, and daily clean-up. But after the 3rd night sharing a bed with a little girl in diapers, I was ready for housekeeping to come with clean sheets and towels. But the only other magnet [and no door hanger] read something like "Privacy Please" and on the reverse "Come Later". There needs to be an additional magnet to indicate the room is ready for housekeeping, something like "Please Service Now". Not that the staff should drop everything to take care of that room instantaneously. But rather a signal that though the occupant did not require service previously, they are ready to receive clean linens today. I tried using the "Come Later" magnet when we left for the day. When we returned that evening, "later" had never come. Apparently the staff did not know how to interpret the sign, or perhaps never came by to see the sign, since we left soon after the first round of housekeeping in the early morning.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The hotel is a bit older, and it does show wear, but it's been updated and is very (very) clean.

While not a part of the hotel, the fuel station next door has a drive through dunkin donuts - so, it's great to get coffee on the way to work !!!

Room Tip: I prefer building building 7 - it's towards the back and is quiet and away from I-495 traffic no...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Eliz1974
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tewksbury
Fairfield Inn Boston Tewksbury/Andover
Holiday Inn Tewksbury Andover
TownePlace Suites Boston Tewksbury/Andover
Sonesta ES Suites Andover
SpringHill Suites Boston Andover
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover

Been to Residence Inn Boston Tewksbury/Andover? Share your experiences!