“on the scary side”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Tewksbury
Millersville, Maryland
“on the scary side”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Though my room was way in the back (right next to the railroad tracks) I didn't think it safe to park my car in such a remote-looking area so I parked it in the front. The hotel's '...not responsible if your car is broken in to...' signs are meant seriously here. On the walk back to the room, several doors down from mine the police were escorting a guy out of his room in handcuffs. Luckily the door locks were good. The bedspread looked rather hideous. No Wi-Fi didn't really surprise me at this hotel. I would NOT stay here again (I'd rather sleep in my car!), nor would I recommend it to anyone I know. Too much money for such a dilapidated hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Tom P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Rhode Island
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I knew going in that I was going to be staying in a run down motor lodge, but it was worse than I expected. I was working half a mile a way from this Motel 6 for a couple days and figured I'd suck it up for the sweet commute instead of staying st the $40 more/night options one exit away.

There was a general musty smell and sense of grime from the room. It was no smoking, but still had an ashtray (with the no smoking sign on it). I've done a lot of traveling and stayed in a lot of hotels, so it's not common for me to be second guessing my stay...but I did here. The first thing I did wax throw the comforter and the blanket off the bed. Neither looked like something I wanted my flesh to touch. I then checked for bed bugs (did not find any). The lovely pleather mattress cover had beverage stains under the fitted sheet and had obviously not been wiped down in quite some time.

I showered with sandals on, although that was probably just paranoia at that point. I brought my own pillow and slept in my clothes, which I would recommend doing.

The front desk staff were both friendly and pleasant, even as they explained that the computers were down and had to write my credit card number on a hand written ticket. I would have been a little nervous if it wasn't a national chain that I could easily follow up with.

Im glad I saved the $80 over two nights, but I'm still a little shocked at what constitutes a 60 room these days. It's not like Tewskbury is down town Boston or anything.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank bdwiggity

Travelers are raving about these Tewksbury hotels

Turner Maine
Reviewed April 10, 2012

These reviews are all spot on. i am here to work (from Maine ) Only good thing is its 2 miles from the job site. I am here now thee room next door is selling some type of drug. People com ing and going i saw 3 different car loads of people gathering there money before going to the door. I was awoken at 2 am this morning to yelling (not the 1st time in my 3 weeks here) this was louder and lots of people i looked out and saw 5 guys drinking and .....grilling? They had a fire going in a small grill.lots of real shady people. my door was left open after room service 2 days in a row I told them the 1st day when I was back 4 lunch. I was more upset the second day, they sent housekeeping down to argue with me saying they were sure they didn't. Just a bad place in general. Burns all over blankets, stale smoke smell, housekeeping is real bad, no clock?!, never leave all towels always missing a towel or facecloth. I stay at cheap chain hotels all over I am not expecting luxury by any means but this is one of...no it is the worst 1 I have stayed at, done in 2 days here, thank God!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Tom M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I hope the title is enough to make up your mind. I have never written a hotel review until now, and I've been a member here for 4 years. Today must be the day.

I had to stay there in an emergency last night due to my car breaking down. I do not doubt the other horror stories listed here. I would not have stayed there if I read the reviews earlier.

I remember when I stayed in some Motel 6's 15 or more years ago. They were barely OK then for a budget traveller then. This location is shown as "refreshed" on the Motel 6 web site. I'm supposing that means they opened the door once to let some fresh air in.

Where should I start?
- empty whisky bottle on the ground in front of the unit 2 doors down, which was accompanied sometime overnight with a beer can in front of my unit
- uncomfortable, squeaky bed with crappy mattress
- heating unit that kept shutting off until I bashed the receptacle box and turned it to "night" setting which lowered the fan speed, and presumably the power draw.
- old Philips 20" TV that didn't work with all the channels.
- slowest Internet speed I've seen at an accommodation in 10 or more years. And they have the gall to charge $4 a day for it.

And, one of these days, Motel 6 will figure out people need to shampoo and dry their hair. No shampoo. No drier.

I can't believe they charge $56 per night. I'm in a comparative Shangri-La of an Econolodge in Mount Laurel, New Jersey today, and the room is cheaper!

Avoid!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Pay 3x as much if you must.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank DavidStarsky
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Ive stayed here a couple of times when moving because it is in my town & it was cheap but it is Very Ghetto. Always Loud, Parties, Police always there for Some Reason.. It should be available to be rented for the hour because this is the type of hotel it is.. many stories on the news about this hotel & illegal activity. Google it.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank JennifeMarie7704
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I read the reviews, and I thought it maybe was just uptight people. My bad, I have never been more nervous staying someplace, Every review was true, and I made 6 calls to the front desk between 12am-3am, regarding, teenagers skateboarding down the halls, people screaming, people banging the rails outside our room, they picked up 4 times out of 6 and said they were sending security. That never happened, This motel could be a decient place to stay if they cleaned up a bit, but as previous reviews say, the non-smoking room did smell like stale smoke and the comforters have cigarette burns in them. I will never stay again, I called the main number and asked to be swtiched to another location and was told the nearest location was a state away. Trust me do not waste your money!!! It truly is a dump.

Room Tip: Don't stay!!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank chrys c
Reviewed August 18, 2011

This was my first time in a hotel from this chain and it was the worst I have stayed in and the last from this company.

There was a flea colony in the room from other people who must have brought animals. The hotel surroundings have lowlifes hanging out and about creating noise and staying up all night. Upon arrival I killed over 20 bugs on the walls that were crawling/flying. The mattress was badly stained. The linens has holes in them from cigarette burns. Absolute worst place ever and a complete nightmare! I told the front desk immediately and they did not care or try to help rectify the situation. It is the worst $50 you will ever spend! Beware!!!!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank CTP0729
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tewksbury
TownePlace Suites Boston Tewksbury/Andover
Residence Inn Boston Tewksbury/Andover
Fairfield Inn Boston Tewksbury/Andover
Holiday Inn Tewksbury Andover
UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center
Courtyard Boston Lowell/Chelmsford

Been to Motel 6 Boston - Tewksbury? Share your experiences!