“Two, plus one for breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Swansea
sakigemcam
“Two, plus one for breakfast”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Positives: Location was convenient for our travels. Overall cleanliness. Very friendly reception staff, extremely helpful. Decent sized room, decent bedding. Good breakfast for a free one. Breakfast area nicely maintained.

Negatives: I give it only one negative but it was a HUGE negative. I do not know if this was just the case in our room (120) but there was a connecting door to the room next door (118) which had a huge space underneath it. AND the walls may be thin as well. We literally could hear the cell phones of the people next door vibrating. We heard their alarm go off. We heard them cough. And worst of all, they had the television on constantly - I have no idea if it was blasting or if it was the space beneath the door or the thin walls that made it audible enough that I could hear the audio on their television. My travel companions plugged into their headsets. For myself, I had a noise machine on my phone, and earplugs, and a pillow over my head, and still heard everything. At 1:30am I called the front desk for intervention. They were immediately responsive and the television went off. But then the coughing, the phone, their alarm, their talking - it was horrible. Their alarm went off at 6:30am.

Other negative, not a big deal but for a fairly updated property the television was a huge thing with tubes - no flat screen?

I would suggest avoiding these rooms, 118 and 120, and checking for quiet between your room and neighbors - and bringing headphones just in case. We may be back, but we will be more prepared.

Room Tip: Avoid 118/120, check for noise from other rooms, bring headphones.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sakigemcam
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 8, 2012
sakigemcam,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review.
I would like to offer a sincere apology. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ben J
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Travelling weekly for work we run into some good and bad places to stay. I have never written a review before but the manager at this hotel was so friendly and helpful I felt like I had too. The gentleman accommodated us coming in early after working third shift and was the nicest person I have met in a hotel since starting this job. Overall I would highly recommend staying here if your in the area, the hotel was new, had big, very clean rooms, and the customer service was exceptional 9 out of 10 value for your money.

• Stayed March 2012
Mayville, Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Very helpful staff and clean rooms. Ammenities were excellent. Have stayed a few times and will again if ever needed. Only drawback is nothing within walking distance.

Room Tip: Any will do
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I hate to admit it but almost everything that others have said are true. The biggest of which is the walls are thin and if someone is in a room above you you will hear everything. Seems to me somebody screwed up during construction.
The front desk staff was nice the room clean but unless other IHG properties are booked, I won't stay unless I bring earplugs.

• Stayed November 2011
Toronto
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Having read all the negative reviews with regards to thin walls and loud floors, I was a bit reluctant to stay at this property. However, due to its location, I decided to give it a try.

I can undersand other comments with regards to sound proofing; you can hear televisions clearly from guest rooms when walking down the hallways, and the floors are definetly beam and wood construction, and not steel and concrete like most hotels. However, I must have lucked out as the hotel wasn't too busy during my stay, and I had no guests beside or above me.

Only minor complaints would be the kind of isolated feel of the location; there is virtually nothing around this hotel. Also, for a newer property, I would have expected a flat screen TV.

There are many positives though; the hotel seems newer, has a nice lobby, clean common areas, and my room was very large. I assume them all to be large as I did not receive an upgrade.

Room was very clean, bathroom was nice, beds were comfortable and everything worked very well.

If back in the area, I think I would return, and cross my fingers that the place isn't very busy again!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank ToSquareBob1
Sutton Coldfield, England
Reviewed September 26, 2011

As already indicated by others, the walls in this hotel are wafer thin. My husband and I could have joined in a conversation with the guests in one of the alongside rooms, wanted to stop the snoring from the other side, and could have danced along to the noise from the elephants in the room above. Our stay was at a weekend when the hotel was completely full due to numerous weddings in the area, so no chance of moving rooms, and there were comings and goings until all hours meaning that any reasonable amount of sleep was impossible. Thank goodness we were only staying one night.

We were impressed by the foyer (cherubs and reproduction furniture), the beds were comfortable and the breakfast was sufficient. However the breakfast room was too small for a full hotel and the staff could not keep the food stocked or the tables cleared at a fast enough rate.

Upon checking out, were advised that it is policy to deduct $10-15 off the bill for complainers, and although not happy at the amount, at least felt this was better than nothing. However, were then advised that we could not get this as we had prepaid for the room!! An unspecified number of loyalty points were offered, which was not satisfactory.

A subsequent complaint to head office has received a standard reply, and failed to address the inability to refund prepayers. No further response has been received despite a request for further specific comments.

Whilst we have used various Holiday Inn Hotels previously, we shall certainly think twice before booking with this chain again, expecially as head office appear so disinterested in customer complaints and problems.

Room Tip: A Top floor room at the end of a corridor will only have possible noise from one other room, and you...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AndrewandMandy

Travelers are raving about these Swansea hotels

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I've never written a negative review, in fact I've never written or called a business to complain. But I'm starting with this hotel. Typically I research Tripadvisor before booking any hotels. This however was a last minute decision, because I was too tired to drive any further. Holiday Inn Express has usually been a good choice for a hotel. However this was an exception. As other reviewers have said, the walls do not stop any of the sounds. You can hear everyone above and on either side of you. All night long it sounded like people were at my door trying to get in, which as a single female traveller was scary. That was not the case, but the rattling, banging and footsteps were nonstop. Even my home doesn't carry noise so clearly. I was exhausted in the morning and didn't take advantage of the breakfast or pool. When you walk in your room, it's beautiful. It has a great TV, comfortable beds, etc. I would never stay in this hotel again and suggest earplugs for anyone planning on a stay here!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swansea
Comfort Inn & Suites Fall River
Hampton Inn Seekonk
#1 of 8 in Seekonk
Best Western Providence-Seekonk Inn
Comfort Inn Seekonk - Providence

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!