“Great view, Great Clams, Very Good Service”

Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 38 Restaurants in Swampscott
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rt. 129
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We both had the fresh clams which were among the best we have ever had. I have never had a bad meal here. But it has been years. We are not locals, I was dressed in shorts and the service was attentive and professional. The view was spectacular. The bloody Mary's very good and as ordered. The prices, less than many places not as good.

1  Thank Huron68
There are newer reviews for Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I had lunch here for the first time yesterday. Although it was 1pm, there were very few customers. I caught the maitre'd's attention, smiled and asked if I might see a menu. He said, "That will cost extra." His idea of a joke. Not the best way to win over a potential customer. I looked at the menu, which had an insert with greasy food stains on it, then asked if I could sit outside. He gestured toward the door to the deck, did not escort me or anything. The service was prompt, and the waiter seemed experienced. While drinking my beverage, the maitre'd came out to the deck, looked at my drink, and asked, "Is that all you're having?" and then tried to engage me in conversation, although I was clearly trying to read a magazine. I responded politely, and he actually SAT DOWN AT MY TABLE to continue talking. My food arrived, so he left. I ordered a fried crab sandwich with french fries and coleslaw. The crab was hot, but flavorless, as was the sauce on the sandwich. There was something paper-like in the sandwich, don't know if it was excessive amount of tomato skin, or something to do with the crab. The fries were barely warm and not fresh. Coleslaw was bland with too much mayo. Then the waiter inquired politely as to what I was reading. I just thought the weird familiarity of the staff is incompatible with the snooty atmosphere. I won't be going back.

1  Thank localmusician
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Eat at Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe for Dinner over the memorial day week end. The food was excellent, the prices were high and the service was average. But the view was spectacular! Nice relaxing meal with great cut of Halibut.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Their food was very ordinary, but priced more than it was worth. Setting is beautiful and view is good. Food isn't.

1  Thank JudyandFred
Reviewed January 25, 2013

It is a lovely location and the view was lovely, especially on a cold clear night when the moon was almost full. There were eight of us....first mistake...with a dinning room that was almost empty they placed our party at a round table right next to the glass on the coldest night this winter....who wants to sit to dinner wearing their coat. Meal started well...the hot popovers with but were a big hit would have been nice if they offered seconds , soup was great ,the salads were good sized, fresh, and yummy, the curried fried oysters we excellent "to die for". after an extended wait our entrees arrived. One was returned to kitchen as totally tasteless. Of the seven remaining entrees one was hot, one was warm and all the others were room temperature. 2 people ordered lamb rare ...by the time it was served it was overcooked and room temperature. My guess is that it came off the grill and then sat in the kitchen too long under a heat lamp. Several side dishes were sent back to the kitchen with the request to zap it in the microwave....The food tasted good (with the exception of the one tasteless dish). Who ever was covering the kitchen knew how to cook but still had a lot to learn about timing. My partners comment was "absentee management" . If the place had been jammed or if we were a large party I could understand the delay and some of the problems but the place was almost empty there were only 8 of use and we ordered before 6:30. This should have been a breeze for a place this size. If you try this restaurant My suggestion is Stick to the Bar/Tavern menu and forget the entrees..... All the pieces are there for this to be a terrific and popular place but someone needs to pull it all together.