“Great view, average food”

Hawthorne By-the-sea
Ranked #27 of 38 Restaurants in Swampscott
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We leave nearby and for a long time it was our restaurant of choice. Exceptional view and ambulant atmosphere. Unfortunately over the years food quality deteriorate and now it serve mediocre overpriced food.

1  Thank Yelena U

Reviewed March 4, 2014

It is one of the best restaurants in the area, specially during summer when one can seat outside and enjoy the sea breeze. It is family oriented and the service is great. One of the best appetizer is the oysters Rockefeller, and the bum they bring you recently taken out of the oven is delicious.

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Very well run restaurant. They really know what they are doing and service got a lot better. Seafood is really fresh and they have really good steaks. I notice they have a new wine list!! What a selection!! Probably the best wine list in North Shore! I cant wait till spring to sit in their outside patio.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We were very skeptical of traveling the distance to dine here after reading the numerous negative reviews. I called ahead and spoke with "Artie", expressing my concerns, who promised me he would guarantee I would be pleased with the restaurant. i took him for his word and we went on Saturday 1/11. Being that it was a Saturday night, the dining room was 85-90% empty. Our waiter Chris, only works on Saturday, and was wonderful...professional, personable and very attentive. He recommended the Nantucket scallops which I ordered and they were out of this world. My husband ordered the prime rib and it was tasteless. Customarily, my husband will not complain and he did. Mr. Athanas came to the table to apologize and brought another PR which was just as horrible. Ultimately, to our surprise, the cost was removed from our invoice without them having mentioned it to us or us requesting same.

We noticed the couple dining in the table next to us experienced a like problem with the husband's prime rib.

The popovers are the big draw for this establishment...as well as the location overlooking the ocean. If we did not live so distantly, we would frequent the restaurant more often....on a Saturday when Chris is waiting tables!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We usually dine at Pier 4 or Hawthorne by the sea at holidays and special occasions. This year we made our reservation early for Christmas Eve and requested the outer room. We arrived promptly and reminded them of our special request. We were told none of those tables were available. There were app. 4 empty tables in the bar area which I enquired about and was rudely advised (by one of the owners) were not large enough to accomodate our party of four. Hmmmm...there were 4 seats at each table??? He then proceeded to take us to a table set back next to a working station in the restaurant. I saw that the table that we originally requested was empty and he most rudely informed me that if the table had a reserved card on it, it was reserved. Well, as I said we did reserve that table prior to this date! I told him that and he said that he was saving it for his friends of over 25 years! I was astonished and we left, nearly ruining our Christmas Eve. (Capital Grille was more than happy to accomodate us). Now my Grandfather supported Anthony when he sold fruit door to door, that is how long my family has supported ALL of the Pier 4 entity. Obviously this son has turned Hawthorne by the sea into his wretched domain since the close of the Boston location. Perhaps the food will become more innovative at some point because with this attitude and treatment of loyal customers who have overlooked the out of date menu the only thing going for this restaurant is the view!

3  Thank johnjohnson1994