“Worse treatment ever”

Dining options: Reservations
Topsfield, Massachusetts
“Worse treatment ever”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We usually dine at Pier 4 or Hawthorne by the sea at holidays and special occasions. This year we made our reservation early for Christmas Eve and requested the outer room. We arrived promptly and reminded them of our special request. We were told none of those tables were available. There were app. 4 empty tables in the bar area which I enquired about and was rudely advised (by one of the owners) were not large enough to accomodate our party of four. Hmmmm...there were 4 seats at each table??? He then proceeded to take us to a table set back next to a working station in the restaurant. I saw that the table that we originally requested was empty and he most rudely informed me that if the table had a reserved card on it, it was reserved. Well, as I said we did reserve that table prior to this date! I told him that and he said that he was saving it for his friends of over 25 years! I was astonished and we left, nearly ruining our Christmas Eve. (Capital Grille was more than happy to accomodate us). Now my Grandfather supported Anthony when he sold fruit door to door, that is how long my family has supported ALL of the Pier 4 entity. Obviously this son has turned Hawthorne by the sea into his wretched domain since the close of the Boston location. Perhaps the food will become more innovative at some point because with this attitude and treatment of loyal customers who have overlooked the out of date menu the only thing going for this restaurant is the view!

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank johnjohnson1994

Phoenix
“Nasty waiter”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Took my mom and other family members there, we thought for a nice lunch. I have never in my life seen such a rude waiter! We were absolutely shocked that someone could be so rude and sarcastic in that line of work! Food was very overpriced as well. At the end of the meal, I could not take the rudeness of this waiter any longer. I went up to the woman who was the manager, told her how rude he was. She apologized, thought she was sincere. Told Me she was going to get in touch with the owner about this. She took down my phone number, I expected a call back .....guess what...never heard from anyone! Do not waste your time or money!

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Shayna B
Fall River
“It may be dated, but it is still great!”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We dined on a Friday afternoon. Now that Pier 4 is gone we decided to try this. We were not dissapointed. Yes it is old and dated, but quiant New England Restaurants are old and dated by definition. To us the older wait staff indicates that the owner treats his help right so they stay for years, others may see it different.

We started with drinks, served promptly and made correctly. Next came clam chowder and fried clams. A good white chowder hot, tasty, lots of tender clams and not all potatoes, one of the best I have had. The clams had a light delicate batter hot and golden brown. I thought they would break when touched. They were fresh and sweet and exploded with flavor in the mouth.

We each had steak, one New York Sirloin, one filet. Both were cooked nicely medium as we ordered them. The sirloin flavorful, juicy and nicely seasoned. The filet was tender as it should be and more flavorful than most filets we have had. We both had fries that were hot and tasty and not frozen. The quantity was large enough that neither of us finished our meal. We will have it later.

We ended with coffee and a hot fudge sunday. Our waiter appoligized for the wait on the coffee as they brewed it fresh and it tasted that way, fresh, hot, flavorful with a pot put on the table so there was more when we were ready. We do like that touch. The fudge on the sunday was hot, not cold chocolate sauce.

This is not your chain restaurant with the same menu from coast to coast. It is a family run restaurant done the old way. You may not find the latest trend in food here, they specilize in good food cooked as it has been done for years. They still do it right!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Meal with a friend”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were visiting a friend in Marblehead and she chose this restaurant for quiet conversation since Marblehead roads were being torn up with sewer work, and parking was a challenge. We were here about a year ago so this was not our first visit. The restaurant was not crowded for lunch, so we were able to get a window seat table with ocean views.Clam chowder was excellent, and my husband said the caesar salad was good although he's had better. My friend and I chose the crab and avocado salad luncheon special, and my husband had a grilled chicken sandwich. I was looking forward to fresh fish, but it was not on the luncheon specials so I passed. Two if us found the crab salad a bit bland, with a bit more dressing than either one of us wanted. My husband said the sandwich was just okay. The warm popovers are as always a hit. Our friend said that she had just eaten here last week and the crab over the salad was so much better. We all may just chosen dishes that were not to our liking, The waitress was very accomodating and pleasant.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great location!! (for condominiums)”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Anthony's Hawthorne by the Sea is a stuck in the past restaurant. The waiters run around in an empty dining room, in formal attire while they serve overpriced mediocre quality food. I remember when this restaurant was the elegant place for a very special, quality meal so this experience was very sad for me. Honestly, don't waste your time or money. The view is outstanding - the ocean, the beach, the tide changing, people and dogs enjoying a beach walk in all weather.

Two of us had the rocket salad dressed arugula with slices of apples. There were yellowish and wilted leaves included a sign of not fresh arugula. I had a bowl of very average clam chowder which you can find in restaurants in the Midwest but you do not expect in a seafood state.
My lamp chops were dry and pretty boring but the rest of the meals were very good I was told. We all thought the popovers - a Hawthorne tradition - were outstanding! Make sure to get one, or two.

The service was spotty. For example, when the food was served I asked for salt and pepper (there was none on the table). I waited for the waitress to return for at least 5 minutes. I ordered a baked potato, (which came after I asked twice). I also had to wait for my fork at least 5 minutes while the waitresses were going in and out of the outdoor deck.

Do not order the cappuccino! Watery and very weak. It does not come close to any coffee shop or Starbucks cappuccino. Dinner spoiler.

The view is spectacular and it ends there. The reputation that Anthony worked so hard to create is totally lost on this restaurant. I am amazed this place stays in business. It is time for very expensive condominiums in the property.

3 Thank Thermotech