“Very nice, great value!”

Fairfield Inn Boston Sudbury
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sudbury
Texas
“Very nice, great value!”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

What a pleasant surprise this hotel was in suburban Boston. Very clean, good service, nicely kept. Bed was comfortable. I would not recommend commuting to Boston from here at rush hour, the traffic in was miserable, but if you are staying in the Sudbury/Concord area, highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Amherst, NH
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed here for 2 weeks while working down the street at the Raytheon facility - only 3 minutes away, very convenient. A small hotel, almost like a large B&B.

Good points:
- Roomy
- Very comfortable bed
- Good WiFi signal strength & high speed internet - and it's free
- Great hot breakfast, 7 days a week, scrambled eggs, sausages, waffle maker, cereals, fruit
- Friendly staff

Not so good points (and these are minor issues)
- Housekeeping staff hadn't reset the bedside or microwave clocks, even one week after daylight savings time switch over. But, the bedside clock is unreadable anyway - it's one of those with an impossible to read screen contrast
- TV channels are slow to advance - can't channel surf easily
- Left turn onto Boston Post Road is tough to make during commute hours - it's a busy street at 7 am!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Albany, New York
Reviewed March 16, 2014

There have been several hotels I would rate between a 4 and a 5 that I ended up rounding down to a four (because we're not allowed decimal points here!). This one was so close to 5 that I'm rating it a 5 - My first "5" review. (Ask my husband. He teases that I"m "high maintenance.")

We almost didn't stay here, because the person at the phone number I first called was not aware that they had any rooms with two queens and a sofa bed, but I pressed them to double-check and found that they do have two such rooms. I needed the space for myself and a sports team of four teenage girls.

We had seen what the lobby looked like from photos on line and were not disappointed. As a matter of fact, the photos on line don't even do the place justice. You can't tell from photos that the fireplace in the lobby has a real fire, that there is a chess set with carved wooden chess pieces on one of the side tables, that the wallpaper and lights in all the hallways are elegant, that the framed photos of country scenes on the walls give you a feeling that the owners value a homey feel in addition to elegance, that the fitness room has more and is larger than what the photos shows (a little, and that some of the exercise machines have TVs with available headphones), that our room was larger than it even needed to be for the number of people and the bathroom huge and lovely...When even the staircases have maroon carpet, wall paper, and nice lighting fixtures, you know you're in a quality place.

The service was just as good. Mary was the desk clerk (and supply getter and breakfast supplier...) who we saw most. From the moment we walked in, she was extremely personable in a way that did not seem at all put on. She showed genuine interest in the reason for our stay, and rather than ignore the "kids in tow" treated them as if they mattered. When I'd come in I commented that I thought our GPS had taken us the long way (which it had; double-check your directions before heading here), she took it upon herself, after we had gone to our room, to look up the place we'd told her we were heading the next day and to find out and print good directions for us. We needed a lot more bathroom supplies? She seemed pleased to be of service. I came in from a walk; was it pleasant? I asked where was the coolest place to sit in the lobby while I would read there after the kids had gone to bed? She offered to turn down the heat. I really can't say enough good things about her. The several other desk clerks we encountered were also quite pleasant; we just didn't happen to have as much interaction with them.

Once we discovered the better way to get to and from the hotel, it was easily accessible to major roads, yet was on the edge of a beautiful, tree-lined, residential neighborhood.

For us all to get a free breakfast with the reasonable room rate made me wonder how they could make enough money. And it wasn't just cereal and bagels: there were eggs, sausage, waffles, fresh fruit, and oatmeal with many toppings. Free newspaper, and TVs that were loud enough to hear if you sat close and wanted to hear, but soft enough so if you'd rather have conversation or not have kids hear the news, you could ignore it.

If I had to pick out little things that made this place just short of perfect, here's what I'd comment on: The big, cushiony chairs in the breakfast room seem like they weren't made well so the cushioning near the knee was compressing prematurely. (Still more comfortable than at most places.) The beds were just a tiny bit too firm. The room smelled stale when we first entered, but that was quickly taken care of. The bathroom shower - which was large enough to hold a whole family at once (not sure whether or not the showers are that big in the smaller rooms) - had a completely clear door...not good when a large family (or, in our case, a team) needs to share one bathroom and possibly one person needs to use the toilet while someone else is in the shower. On the other hand, there were two bathrooms in the lobby area which we could make use of, so that wasn't a big inconvenience. The soap in ONE of the lobby bathrooms had an overwhelming perfume. The (down?) blankets on the beds were of TOO high quality, so were way too warm. (I don't know if lighter blankets were available if we would have asked, because we didn't. Also, it probably would have been fine with simply turning down the room heat, but not everyone in the room wanted that. Still, with the thermometer set at 62, those blankets were still way too warm.)

But all bathrooms were spotless. (Actually, every bit of space was spotless.) Whether because of thick walls or polite guests, there was no noise at night. The air in every room (including ours after the first few minutes) and the linens had no odors. Every piece of equipment in the fitness room worked. But again, overwhelmingly, the main impressions were of elegance and welcome. Our team travels to quite a few places and have stayed at quite a few places, and we all agreed that this place was the best so far. (At first they were disappointed at the lack of a swimming pool - something other families should be aware of if that's important to your kids - but they ended up really enjoying the fitness room. And they were impressed at being treated like adults.)

So, with no hesitation, this high-maintenance woman (and her daughter's team) gives the Fairfield in of Sudbury 5 stars.

Room Tip: I didn't ask to see any other rooms; I understand there are some with a jacuzzi. From my genera...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Paulette999
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Boston Sudbury, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Paulette,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your experience for TripAdvisor. We are honored to have earned your first ever 5-star review! I'm happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay and we look forward to hosting your next visit to Sudbury.

Peter Hewes, GM
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This is a nice hotel, very lovely and helpful staff. For the price it is a great value. I appreciated the decor of the room as it is much nicer than rooms in hotels at similar price points. The bed was not soft (which I liked) and different from most Marriott's I have stayed in which typically have very soft mattresses. Unlike a previous reviewer, I found the pressure of the shower head better than most hotels. I did not like the fact that there was not a door to the shower and there was not even a hook near the open part of the shower to hang the towel on! My major complaint was that the lighting in the bathroom was TERRIBLE. The breakfast was pretty standard but it was lovingly maintained by the women who staffed the buffet -- everything was very clean and presented nicely. Finally, the decor of the breakfast room was horrible, particularly relative to the lovely lobby and room decor. I would stay here again though.

Room Tip: I stayed in the back (away from the road) and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location convenient. The decor was good. They gym a bonus. The room was clean (not spotless, but cleaner than most). The bathroom was very nice but the shower was not great - low water pressure, bad shower head, not hot enough water, and the open glass door let's you freeze if you step out of the current of water. The beds were good but the sheets were scratchy and there were no firm pillow options. The thing that killed me was the noise. I couldn't complain because it was all normal sounds - people talking and watching tv - but you could hear it all in our room; it was as if it was IN our room. I could muffle it with the AC fan on but it was cold and we needed heat. The unit does not allow you to just run the fan without either AC or heat so we were either roasting or freezing as I reset it every hour - yes, I woke up every hour - to keep the fan going to stop us from hearing EVERYTHING. Maybe it was just our room. The breakfast was the same canned, processed stuff they serve everywhere (when will hotels learn that you can cook real, fresh food for lower costs than the processed stuff they buy off the trucks?) with the highlight being that they stock Chobani yogurt!

Room Tip: Ask for a QUIET room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank itsawanderfullife
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Boston Sudbury, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review of our property; we appreciate the feedback! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff and convenient location; however, I sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. We are actually in the process of replacing our shower heads, which will rectify the poor water pressure and I can assure you that none of our breakfast items are canned. I hope you'll come visit us again next time you're in the area.

Peter Hewes, GM
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This Fairfield is about what you'd expect from any hotel. Seemed to be average all the way around. Staff was friendly, no complaints there. Breakfast was par; waffle maker, powdered eggs, and the usual fruit and beverage selections. The room was nice, quality bed, and the bathroom was large and spacious. Plenty of counter space.

Overall it's a nice hotel and won't do irreversible damage to your wallet. But it's a bit far from the city so just know that ahead of time. I have business in the area a couple times per year, and would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank spolcecsekr7
Ashland, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We had stayed at this hotel a couple of years back when it was owned by The Wayside Inn down the road from this site. We had a good stay back than but with the Marriott taken ownership we were not sure what to expect. Well we had a fantastic experience. The nice size rooms are nicely decorated, clean and comfortable. The staff were exceptional. They went out of their way to make our visit outstanding. We booked the hotel's Heritage Package. It included one night stay with a dinner for 2 at Longfellow's Wayside Inn just about a mile away. The package was well worth it. We went with another couple and spent sometime in the reception area where there are tables and chairs set up for guests use. When we travel with friends we like to play different card games. We enjoyed the use of this room as well as enjoyed the conversation with the friendly and helpful front desk staff. I know we will be returning to do this again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sudbury
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Concord
Residence Inn Boston Framingham
Best Western at Historic Concord
Hampton Inn Boston-Natick
Sheraton Framingham Hotel & Conference Center
Crowne Plaza Hotel Boston - Natick

Been to Fairfield Inn Boston Sudbury? Share your experiences!