“Eh - just OK.”

Fairfield Inn Boston Sudbury
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The place was very new and clean, but it was mostly facade. I really loved the design of the room when I walked in, but then I actually tried to take a shower in their cool half-a-glass-door shower and realized you are freezing cold most of the time because there is nothing to keep the heat in. The beds were not that comfortable - on par with a mid-level motel, but not a better hotel. The staff at he front desk was nice, but not knowledgeable - they seemed to really want to try and be helpful, but didn't have the training or information needed. Overall this place is worth about $80/night, so unless they drop their rates significantly, I would pass it by.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JenBarnett

Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed at the Wayside for 3 nights in August 2011 for a Boston getaway. Despite the fact that the hotel is 30 minutes from Boston, the location of the hotel itself made us discover a really nice and welcoming suburban of Boston. The route 20 offers picturesque houses (read -castles- !).
The room we had (King bed with a sofa) was clean and had a new coffee machine with individual coffee cups. The bathroom was huge.
The night we arrived, my fiancee realized she had forgotten her purse in a restaurant along the road where we had stopped earlier. Because we were just starting our trip, she was anxious and already thinking about credit cards to cancel and passports issues to get back to Canada. The employee at the desk of the hotel immediately saw her desperation and checked on the internet to find the restaurant and phone number. She called the owner and found it within 10 minutes! We thought we were very lucky to find an employee with such caring attention.
The hotel seems to have a nice bar in the lobby, but we didn't have time to try it and the place was quite empty for a high season period. The only clients beside us were old people couples, so we didn't really felt like parting in the hotel as it didn't seem appropriate.
The only disappointment we had was around breakfast. For a 186$ a night hotel with included breakfast, we expected more than continental breakfast. Toast and bagels could have been fine... if they could supply toasters, too! But overall we were very happy with this place and would go back anytime.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marhanik
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We used a Groupon to stay at the Inn for a one night stay in February. Having spent 20 years working in the hotel business I know what it takes to please a guest. My wife and I were very pleased. Hey, when was the last time you checked out of a hotel/inn after a few inches of snow had fallen the night before to find out the General Manager had cleared the snow off your car's windshield along with a few dozen others in the parking lot!

When we checked in and told the desk clerk we wanted to have dinner at Longfellow's Wayside Inn she asked if we had made reservations. When we said no she called the Inn and helped us get dinner reservations during what turned out to be a very busy evening at the Wayside Inn.

The inn is just down the road from the Longfellow's Wayside Inn. Our room at the Carriage House was not like your average chain hotel room. FREE bottled water in the room, comfortable bed, good casual seating, and a well appointed bathroom.

The lobby offers complimentary fresh baked cookies at check-in (that had me hooked right away) and coffee throughout the day. A nice little casual bar sits over in the far corner. It's nothing fancy but a nice place to a night cap after a day of antiquing or after dinner at the Wayside Inn. Breakfast was nothing special but it was also included in the rate and a much better complimentary breakfast than we have found at some chain hotels. Oh, if you want a spa weekend the Inn has an arrangement with the Invidia Spa just up the road.

We had such a great time we are going back in August with another couple. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We've only stayed here once (so far) but we had a room facing the back of the property. The vie...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank prmac
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I was looking for a hotel with something different from the regular fare while visiting family and friends in the area. I picked the king suite because the photo online looked stunning with some interesting architectural design on the ceiling. The room I got was fronted on busy Route 20 and though it was spotless and all brand new, was just ho hum. Yes, for $235. I did expect a bit more wow factor.
I was surprised that while reading that evening I could actually hear the person in the room next door to me snoring. I turned on the air conditioner and the fan drowned out the noise. I could also hear people walking around in the room above me. All was fine until the room reached the temerature set on the AC unit and the noise from both rooms was audible once again. I am surprised this Inn has such flimsy insulation or sound proofing since it is all brand new.
Despite it being in close proximity to all I needed on my trip I sadly won't be staying again. The price is above what I've paid in boutique hotels in downtown Boston, the complimentary breakfast was sad so went out.
The staff was friendly and very efficient, entire hotel was brand new and clean.
I have never written a review to complain about a hotel before, but hope this will prompt the Inn to take a look into their sound proofing, or perhaps install a fan system that will run constantly to drown out the noise from neighbors and the busy route.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2010

The Wayside Carriage House Inn was originally the Clarion in Sudbury. The property is now owned by the Wayside Inn, the historic Inn and Restaurant a mile down the road. It was totally renovated and recently reopened this June. Everything in the facility is brand new – furniture, bedding, bath and flat screen TV’s. The “brand spanking new” smell is certainly a lot nicer than the musty smells of some older properties. The staff was friendly and helpful. The motel is quite small – only 40 rooms or so, but it is a lot larger than the 10 room Wayside Inn.

Unfortunately, all of this comes at a price – a very steep price! The rack rate for this property is a whopping $215. They offer a group discount down to $145 if you book 5 rooms, but this is still way too high. This is not downtown Boston, but 20 miles out into the suburbs. There is no wonderful scenery, no beach, no pool, and no sauna – just a standard motel. There are many properties within 10 miles such as Hampton, Comfort and Sheraton with similar amenities for $100. We stayed here because they had a convenient shuttle to the Inn where we were attending a wedding. For the price, we could have hired a limo.

There were 3 minor issues. The magnetic key cards were not robust and we kept getting locked out. I was told to keep the key away from the cell, which I already know to do. The Internet access was shaky – it kept resetting itself. Finally, the Continental Breakfast was disappointing – some juice, dry cereal and packaged Danish. This is certainly acceptable for a $50 Motel 6, but sadly lacking for a motel in the $200 class.

I attempted to negotiate a better price with the manager and was turned down. I was informed that the motel was full and they would not be able to do better than $145. Both nights, there were less than 10 rooms occupied, a far cry from what I was told. I have to wonder that with only 25% occupancy on a September weekend with 4 weddings going on at the Inn, that the ownership really needs to re-evaluate their pricing or end up in financial trouble. Interestingly enough, this is a non-profit organization!

This is a real nice lovely property but currently a terrible value. Hopefully they will fix this.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank w1sj
Reviewed September 11, 2010

The Carriage House is down the road from the actual Wayside Inn, but is actually a more practical place to stay. I stayed one night after a business meeting at the Inn. There weren't many extras with the room, but the room was very large, very clean, and the king-size bed with good pillows was extremely comfortable. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank RootBeerFloat
Reviewed August 7, 2010

This is no longer a Clarion Hotel. It was gutted and has been totally renovated by the new managers, the Wayside Inn. It opened under this new management in June, 2010 and it is now a beautiful, boutique-style hotel. It now has an elevator and an upscale decor. It's charming. There is a shuttle available to drive guests to the historic Wayside Inn, about a mile away, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Read the reviews about the Wayside Inn to learn more about the restaurant.
I read in some of the reviews of the Wayside Inn ( one of my favorite places to stay) that some guests felt that the accomodations were too "old" and amenities limited. They are not limited at the brand new hotel. It has a 32 inch flat-screen tv, with cable access in every room, clock radio with MP# docking, in-room coffee maker, complimentary bottled water, full service bar, small refrigerator available, complimentary early risers continental breakfast featuring Wayside Inn Bake Shoppe rolls and muffins, daily newspapers, free local phone service, afternoon cheese-and-port reception (Sunday through Thursday), spa, laundromat and valet services as well as the business facilities and exercise room. Right now there is a package available for $179 per couple for accomodations and dinner at the Wayside Inn. I didn't confirm whether breakfast was included as well. Breakfast and dinner at the Inn, using vouchers, are off the menu and include lobster, filet mignon, etc.
The Wayside Carriage House Inn would meet, or surpass, expectations of anyone looking for cleanliness, charm and amenities, in my opinion. The Wayside Inn is very well managed with a very good staff and one could expect the same from the Wayside Carriage House Inn.
The photos on this website are not those of the new renovated hotel, but of the former Clarion.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank GHM55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sudbury
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Concord
Sheraton Framingham Hotel & Conference Center
Red Roof PLUS Boston Framingham
Best Western at Historic Concord
The Boxboro Regency
The Boxboro Regency
#1 of 1 in Boxborough
Hampton Inn Boston-Natick

Been to Fairfield Inn Boston Sudbury? Share your experiences!