“Excellent place for family celebration”

Longfellow's Wayside Inn
Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Sudbury
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Longfellow's Wayside Inn is a unique part of the historic landscape of Massachusetts, and the oldest operating American Inn. Featuring an authentic building style and traditional New England food, we offer the ideal location for romantic nights out, banquets, family events, company parties, and weddings. Our menu provides exceptional quality at great value, including hearty portions and seasonal foods. We encourage our guests to spend a day with us, touring the serene and historic grounds, enjoying a drink in our 300-year old Tavern, and settling in for dinner in one of our historic rooms. We have an open patio in the warmer months, and lit fireplaces through winter.
Wayland, Massachusetts
“Excellent place for family celebration”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our entire family (26 people) went to the Wayside for the celebration of my birthday. One of my sons checked the food out before making our inquiries. Everything was delicious, so he booked a private dining room for the whole family at the brunch time. There are several dining rooms, some small and some large. The Inn has a long history with original with wide plank floors, fireplaces with wood fires going . The food was excellent and also the timing how it was served. Some dishes could be ordered a la carte, most of the food came from the humongous buffet tables. Those three young waitresses were delightful and at the serving of cake they sang "Happy Birthday" for me. Lovely place for those who want to experience New England atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013

Orlando, Florida
“So Disappointed :(((”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I am disappointed to be writing this review. I love my memories of the Wayside Inn. When I was a teenager my father took me here for dinner. I remember it vividly...I dared to have duck for the first time. It was wonderful. As a history buff then... and history major in college... I reveled in the unique history of the Inn. And I have always wanted to go back.

April 25th...my 32nd wedding anniversary...my husband made that dream come true by inviting me to dine at the Wayside Inn. I was soooooo excited! We walked the grounds, saw the schoolhouse, the chapel, and the grist mill (of course :) The greeter, in period costume, was very knowledgable, friendly, and helpful with her knowledge of the Inn and the grounds.

I was somewhat shocked, however, to see how parts of the Inn had been completely moderized. Unlike my original experience, my husband and I were seated in a dining room that appeared not original to the Inn...a modern add-on?? Our waitress was wonderful...very professional...appropriately attentive without being intrusive. I ordered the duckling...wishing to recreate my original wonderful experience 43 years prior. The duckling was served stone cold. My husband called the waitress over and I asked if the dish was designed now to be served cold and she replied "absolutely not!"...wisked away my dinner and returned about 5 minutes later with my original plate of food. Clearly the dinner had been microwaved. It was just warm.
I had gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago. The problem for me with food that has been microwaved...especially poultry...is that it becomes tough. As a result, I became immediately sick (actually vomiting).

So here is my major gripe with this experience...not that the Inn/this particular dining room had been moderized (we had the opportunity to experience the Inn as it was in Longfellow's day in other rooms). But after my experience I contacted the Wayside Inn via their own website. I wasn't looking for any compensation. I just wanted them to hear my experience and acknowledge this disappointment...especially since this was a momentous event...our 32nd wedding anniversary! I have never recieved any response from the Wayside Inn whatsoever :( ...as if they no longer care about their reputation :(

I don't think we will be back...not for a meal anyway. I can go to any local restaurant with good service and not have my meal served cold. This historic icon has changed :( It is a loss for me and memories I have cherished :(

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Goofster56
Windsor, Vermont
“botched reservation”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Last November we reserved a first-floor room for a reunion scheduled
for June, 2013. We got the name of the person who made the
reservation, got the specifics(such as the $100 fee for reserving the Ford Room was due one month prior to the reservation and was non-refundable)and were told to call back in May. When we called back and spoke to the woman who made the reservation, she
said she had no recollection, nor had she written anything in the
reservation book and the room had been reserved for another party. She
said she would make an exception (we don't have 50 people coming to
the reunion) and would give us the second floor room---higher price ($150)
and no elevator, which would be make it impossible for some to attend.
Our experience was quite unpleasant, followed by making reservations elsewhere.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Nora333_11
Boston, Massachusetts
“Birthday dinner”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have celebrated my birthday here for the last 37 years. I love it here, but my family doesn't agree. They keep taking away things. Last night was the last straw for the family, they took away the fabulous cheese and crackers. My family loved the homemade muffins with the cheese spread. They we disappointed from the start. The atmosphere is unbeatable, though I don't know if we will go next year. I food is very good but it's not cheap. I had the lobster pie. My husband thought the prime rib was good, not great. My son liked the Filet and my daughter like the chicken. I have always liked the food though they took my favorite, baked stuffed shrimp, off the menu a while ago.

• Visited April 2013
Worthington, Massachusetts
“A Historic Treasure”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Lonfellow's Wayside Inn is simply enchanting. The many fire-placed common areas and dining rooms are magical, with some exhibited as authentically appointed spaces. It is fun to explore the nooks and crannies and to imagine the place in the middle of the 19th century when Longfellow was a visitor.

The Prix-fixe dinner menu offers three choices, however none are seafood or vegetarian; pot roast, chicken pie, or turkey. The turkey was very good, but needed to be sent back to be reheated.The food is ample and portions generous, though overall there is wiggle room for improvement. The bread basket at dinner, for example, offers breakfast muffins. It is surprising that this place still uses Styrofoam boxes for doggie bags, though the leftover food is wrapped in tinfoil inside the Styrofoam box! Surprisingly, the professionalism of the wait-staff does not seem commensurate with the merit of the Inn itself.

It will be interesting to try the Wayside Inn again, for lunch, dinner, or even an overnight. The place is too precious not to return. Probably the rumored "spirits" there think so, too!

• Visited March 2013