“Been going for 30 years!”

Longfellow's Wayside Inn
Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Sudbury
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Longfellow's Wayside Inn is a unique part of the historic landscape of Massachusetts, and the oldest operating American Inn. Featuring an authentic building style and traditional New England food, we offer the ideal location for romantic nights out, banquets, family events, company parties, and weddings. Our menu provides exceptional quality at great value, including hearty portions and seasonal foods. We encourage our guests to spend a day with us, touring the serene and historic grounds, enjoying a drink in our 300-year old Tavern, and settling in for dinner in one of our historic rooms. We have an open patio in the warmer months, and lit fireplaces through winter.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Been going for 30 years!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Beautiful ambiance in a historic setting. You have to try the Jerusha Peach Mold! Portions are generous and they have Sunday dinner specials. Staff is pleasant and accommodating. Grounds are well-kept. Like going back in time when you visit.

Cute gift shop and you can get baked goods and candy for the little ones!

The not-so-good:

I will agree with other posters that sometimes the food doesn't seem as fresh and sometimes it is not served hot enough.

I will be honest and say that they definitely have their off days and it's nothing to do with how busy they are; I've been there when it's empty and when it's filled to capacity. They used to give you cheese and crackers and relish spread but no longer.

Also, they have a lot of small, private rooms for dining. I booked my son's Christening in 2010 and 12 of us had to sit in the main dining room. That would have been fine, only I kept checking months ahead to see the availability and was told to keep checking back. Then the first day I got the green light to book the Christening, I was told I had "called too late" to book one of the small rooms. That also would have been fine, but we passed the smaller rooms on the way to sit in the dining room. They were filled with other groups of diners, similar in size to our party and some even smaller...with empty tables in the small rooms not being filled.

Another time I tried to book online and mentioned we had 3 adults and 2 kids and needed a high chair. I had to go back and forth several times over the phone with multiple call backs to find a time for them to accommodate a "party of our size." Seriously?

For me, none of these are deal breakers. We will return for special moments/events and we always tip well and are pleased with the service. But some of the above can be a bit annoying...just an FYI!

• Visited February 2013

New Hampshire
“Felt like Paul Revere would ride by at any moment”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This lovely New England landmark oozes charm. On my way to the restaurant, I passed their Grist Mill and then the chapel before coming to the restaurant. Inside, it has all the characteristic revolutionary war style decor with a warm ambiance. The service was warm and friendly as we sat at a cozy table near the fireplace. This was a business dinner with a guest from Asia and she was quite impressed.

To start, we had the Belgian endive scoops filled with lobster meat - quite tasty. The clam chowder was especially fresh and flavorful. For dinner, we all had the lobster pie served with potato and crisp green beans. The lobster pie was piping hot as I like it, with a tasty breadcrumb topping and a good bit of lobster. It was a bit pricy at $28 but lobster is always expensive. The soup was a reasonable $5 and we topped off our dinner with New England's favorite - Indian pudding - very good and also reasonably priced. The menu has all the traditional favorites like chicken pot pie and Yankee Pot Roast as well. As we left we heard the fife and drum music to add more authenticity to this evening when we stepped back in time. Definitely worth a visit and a great plave to take out of town guests.

• Visited March 2013
Townsend, Massachusetts
“Just OK”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Maybe we caught them on an off night. Had the chicken pot pie and that was not that good - the topping was like a large Nabisco "Royal Lunch Cracker", far from flaky pastry. The French onion soup didn't turn me on either, as it had one piece of bread in the soup that was really hard. The waiter never came back to the table to ask how everything was at anytime during the evening. Granted, it was late on Sunday night, and they were anxious to get home. Our experience fell short of what I remember from my past visits.

Rochester NY
“Gorgeous and good food!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I first went to the Wayside for dinner. We were thinking of having our daughters wedding here and wanted to check the food out before making our inquiries. EveIrything was delicious. There are several dining rooms, some small and some large, we ate in one of the smaller ones. The Inn is very old and much of it is original with wide plank floors, fireplaces with wood fires going and so it is a wonderful atmosphere.
Our second time was for our daughters' small and intimate wedding. We had 20 in our party in a lovely private room. It had its' own fireplace several windows (I dislike hotel meeting/reception rooms with no windows) an alcove where they were married and was set up perfectly for us. .

Visited April 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“ambiance galore, food not bad either”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Food is good but not great, service is good and atmosphere is unbelievable. Be sure to go on Wednesday night when the local fyfe and drum corps march throught the dining room as they play.

• Visited July 2012