Longfellow's Wayside Inn
Fairfield Inn Boston Sudbury(Sudbury)(Great Value!)
$169
Fairfield Inn
Inn On The Horse Farm(Sudbury)(Great Value!)
$241
$85
$72
$149
$79
All reviewsgrist millnew englandyankee pot roastlobster piebutternut squasholdest operatinghistoric restauranthistory lessoncolonial erascrodwonderful historynext morningwide plankcommon roomworking fireplaceboston post roadguest rooms
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I have been enjoying Longfellow's Wayside Inn of over 30 years and we continue to love it. The Wayside has evolved with the times, but has remained remarkably affordable for the original Inn. It is in part supported by the Ford Foundation and the history is interesting to review. If you'd like to enjoy a true New England Inn, this is the place. Sure the plumbing is not up to the stds of the Hyatt, but if you want the atmosphere of this classic Inn, that seems like a reasonable trade-off. This is the place to stay for a weekend, but not for your week-long stay. The staff is friendly and the the place is very original. There now is one TV in a common room 9non in the rooms), but we don't go to the W.I. for TV...or the Wifi (no WiFi that I'm aware of). If that is a must for you, then consider other options. This is a romantic stay place to have a good dinner in a wonderful setting, where you don't have to drive home after a Coow-woow (rocket-fuel drink) or two. We always enjoy the meals there. They are not CIA, but they are usually very good, especially considering the price (you're just outside of Boston!!) Rooms 9 and 10 are the old original rooms of the in and worth an inquiry to stay in if you get the chance. There are stories of "ghosts" at the inn, but we've never had the pleasure!!
So if your looking for a romantic original NE Inn for an overnight or the weekend, I recommend Longfellow's Wayside Inn.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PfredIII
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We came for lunch to celebrate my mother's 88th birthday and were stunned by the decline in quality of the food from a number of years back when it was quite good. The bread basket, appetizer salad, and clam chowder were good but the entrees/sides were little better than over-cooked cafeteria fare at a very large price. The roast lamb was tough and overcooked, the chicken potpie was not flavorful and contained overcooked chicken in a watery gravy, the baked, stuffed grey sole was shriveled appearing- also overcooked. My poor mom thought she was going to throw up, after a couple of bites of the disappointing chicken potpie, and had to leave the table for a while; after returning to the table she was afraid/unable to eat anything more and ended up having it all thrown away. While our waitress was quite good and the setting at the Wayside Inn is charming, the food is so poorly prepared that we will not be returning despite the fact that we live nearby.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Patricia S
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Booked a last minute b-day getaway for my husband. They we very accomodating and had a room available. We also had dinner in the old kitchen which was very historic. There were only a few downsides to our stay. 1) Our room was extremely warm and there was no way to lower the temperature with out opening the window(which was extremely hard due to the age of the windows). 2) There were several private parties going on at the inn so we didn't know which rooms we could enter. They inn offers a sitting room for over night guests with a TV, games, fire place. We did utlize this room for two reasons, one we didn't know it existed until the next morning and the private parties were going on next door and we were unsure if we could walk around to find it. 3) The old kitchen was beautiful but very cold. I had to wear my jacket the entire time during dinner and our waittress was extremely slow. The atmosphere was impectable and we would stay at this inn again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 9 or 10.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have been visiting The Wayside Inn for 25 years... historic, cozy and charming...but when we saw the way the hostess was dressed in a black mini skirt, and three inch heels, I was taken back.. her dress was inappropriate for this historic Inn. I remember when everyone dressed in period clothes, it back you think you were back in the 1700's..I know times have changed, but I dont think the Wayside Inn should be represented in this way... Hopefully she will rethink you outfit next time or maybe the management will change it for her.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jake1830
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Went to a small wedding here and was seated near the door leading into the kitchen area. We could hear our servers making rude remarks about the guests from the interior. It went on and on throughout the entire event. Wow. That's the reason they expected a big tip no doubt!! The bride and groom did not know about this, and we weren't about to tell them, but I would NEVER have a wedding here, or advise anyone else to. Fake hospitality is not hospitality. That, and the place is dirty.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends