“Quality has slipped a little”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sudbury
Longfellow's Wayside Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Sudbury B&B and Inns
Sudbury, MA
“Quality has slipped a little”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I've been going to the Wayside Inn for over 25 years, and the latest trip there was a bit of a disappointment. In the past I have always said that they had the best prime rib ever. I ordered it last week and while it was not bad, it was not up to the standard that they have set in the past. Don't get me wrong, it was still good, but not as tender as it used to be. Perhaps they're cutting back on the quality of the beef? The clam chowder was good, but they no longer have the Wayside Inn ale, instead it was Sam Adams lager. A bit disappointing overall.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KGR1951

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Maynard, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Always a good time, especially when the weather is nice. Enjoy the scenery and take it all in. I especially enjoy going to the grist mill, which can be crowded on the weekends, but it usually not too busy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Bill F
san francisco
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The Wayside Inn is outstanding. It certainly feels like a real Inn from the 18th century with the water driven Mill across the street and church up the hill. The food was very good and cost 2 of us $47 for a wonderful breakfast. My wife and I ate there twice and it was excellent both times. My only regret is that I didn't read Longfellow's poem before I visited. We did not stay at the Inn so I can't comment about the rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rhctraveler
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We met friends at the "Wayside Inn" and had an excellent experience. The outdoor seating was situated in a quaint patio setting. The scenery was beautiful and the atmosphere very relaxed. Our waiter, Eddie, was one of the best we've ever had. He was friendly, knowledgable, and accommodating in every sense. The menu is diverse with regular and local fare. Do not miss out on the blueberry pie dessert if you have the chance.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ed L
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My daughters and I were so looking forward to a nice meal on a Sunday afternoon. The reviews were so positive we really thought we would be delighted. The breads were good but that was it. First the soups. The onion soup: the broth was good but smelled of bouillon, but the cheese on the bread was hard as a rock and unedible, like it had been microwaved to death. And it was almost cold! The clam chowder was flour based if you like that. I expected real cream at this esteemed location. The chicken pot pie was horrible, again not hot, the "flaky" crust was hard and had the texture of a one-inch cracker. The chicken was not tender and the broth was again floury and blah. The lamb which I got was tender and flavorful, but it was not hot, even though it was brought to our table with covers. I could not cut the meat with the table knife and when I received the steak knife I had to ask for it was still a struggle. We all felt like the food had been prepared days ago and microwaved to warm it up. We tried the sherbert and ice cream, both which seemed of poor quality. I have been all over this country and Europe, eaten at incredible sites, always pleased. The pleasantness of the Wayside Inn site demands a better product and better trained waitresses. We were never offered water refills, if one should even have to have it offered. Never will we go there again!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MEF611
Tipton, IA
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We were lucky enough to stay 2 nights at this inn, set in the beautiful Massachusetts countryside. I booked one of the rooms in the oldest part of the inn without realizing what that would mean. Climbing up the steep steps to the very small, dark landing and then stepping into a room with the ceiling about 3 inches over my head was my undoing. I was claustrophobic and terrified in this room. Thankfully, the wonderful staff in the lobby completely understood and found us another room in the newer part of the inn. Eric even helped bring our bags to the new room so I didn't have to go back into the first one. The second room was very nice, and we enjoyed staying in this inn. The water pressure in the shower was almost non-existent and the water went from very hot to very cold. The experience of staying at a historic inn is worth the lack of a good shower. There is an interesting museum in the inn, a grist mill on the property, and lovely flower gardens. The restaurant is outstanding. I am not sure this would be a place for small children, but everyone else who likes historic properties would enjoy their stay here.

Room Tip: If you are claustrophobic, don't stay in the oldest rooms. They are very nice, but the ceiling...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lemon60
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I have been staying at the Wayside Inn for many years, every time I visit the Boston area.
I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else since it is so close to everything, a wonderful
'Historic Country Inn', great food, good prices, what else can I say.

Room Tip: The newer rooms are just fine,
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank David E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sudbury
Fairfield Inn Boston Sudbury
Sheraton Framingham Hotel & Conference Center
The Inn at Hastings Park
The Inn at Hastings Park
#1 of 4 in Lexington

Been to Longfellow's Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!