“Super 8 was super”
Review of Super 8 Sturbridge

Super 8 Sturbridge
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Overall very happy with facility. Small issue with whirlpool/tub. Needed extra blankets for kids and had to call the front desk a second time just to hear they didnt have any extras,( even though there were plenty of empty rooms they could have givin blankets from). Rooms were clean and the king bed was VERY comfortable. Once the tub was cleaned of crap left in the jet piping, my wife and I enjoyed a LOOOONG, RELAXING, ROMANTIC Whirlpool/bath. The breakfast was good with many selections and most importantly, the kids were happy making their own waffles.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed March 11, 2010

Needed to go to Sturbridge for a business conference at the Host Hotel & Conference Center. I really did not want to pay the price the Host hotel was asking for a room but the clerk there graciously suggested the Super 8 across their parking lot. I am very pleased that hotels here work together and no animosity exists. You can't find that in the big cities. Just a jolt away, was the Super 8. The desk clerk, Tim was very accommodating and gave me a wonderful room with a king bed that looks out to the lake. (A real nice surprise). My room was clean and the bathroom was granite! The last time I saw a granite bathroom was when I got a free suite at the Waldorf in NY. The sleep was great and the room was very quiet, with the exception of some chirping birds sitting in the balcony railing. But that just added to the beautiful morning when I woke up. Grabbed a coffee in their breakfast room and was again surprised by the variety of baked goods and belguim waffles that was offered at no extra charge. Tempted by the cinnamon roll staring at me, I had to have it. Very fresh and delicious coffee. I later learned from Anthony, the morning clerk, that the coffee Super 8 gets is roasted and packaged just 20 minutes away when I asked about it. He was also nice enough to print up directions for me to get to Providence, RI where my next conference was scheduled. He even suggested a great Italian bakery and restaurant there when we started talking about places to eat for dinner. It almost felt like we were friends for years as I kept our conversation going. I am incredibly grateful to the Host hotel for suggesting the Super 8 and I will most definitely stay here for my next conference in the summer.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank MistyMagicDalton
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We decided to stop here based on many of the postive reviews of this motel. We're glad we did! We got there around 5 pm on a Wednesday, the 6th of January. The lobby looked very inviting despite some renovations going on. The girl who checked us in was very friendly and informative as we asked about places to eat and shops in town as we wanted to stay for 2 days. We asked for a non-smoking room with two double bedsbut she said they only have queen size beds oe singke kings. I was surprised beacuse not many motel have queen size beds and when they do, they're not too cheap. We used our AAA card for a discount and paid only $62.10 and some tax per night. Unbelievable! We paid $73 the night before in Virginia. Then she said the price includes a continental breakfast. I figured another joint with donuts/bagels and lousy coffee. WRONG! Hot belgian waffles, super delicious muffins. I had a banana nut and my wife had blueberry. I had to try hers as mine was chock full of flavor. I asked the morning clerk about the pastries and he mentioned they were homemade by a local baker and he only uses fresh ingredients and no preservatives or additives. Well, it certainly tasted like it. They also had gluten-free muffins which I thought was wonderful for those people who are on restricted diets.The second morning I had a waffle, very filling but OMG wonderfuly good. My wife had some toast and an apple. She said it was the most tastiest she had. Anyway, we walked into a very clean room with a beautiful drapes and a granite bathroom! My wife and I couldn't believe we paid what we did. I read on here by other guests that they had a cold room. Not so here. It was warm and toasty. We at first was hesitant of coming here after reading some these reviews, but we read further down the list and they all sounded pretty good. I'm just very glad we stayed here. The clerks were friendly and very helpful when we had several questions to ask about the Old Sturbridge Village just a very short distance from the motel. I definitely will tell my friends about this adorable town and motel. We will be back in the fall!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2009

THis was the coldest room I have ever stayed in. It takes a full 24 hours to heat up the room. No KIDDING. They are not smart because they didnt think of heating it up before we got there. I was there for 1 hour with my gloves, hat and coat on and then we decided to move to another room at 1130 PM.. DO NOT EVER STAY HERE. THEY should of been clever and nice because we had stayed there 3 times in 6 six weeks.. More stays were to come.. They lost us. They will lose all that come... The food was OK.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lroth123
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Very unprofessional operation from top to bottom. I would never recommend this place to my worst enemy unless I really wanted to get back at him in the worst way. One hell of a bad experience on the grandest of scales!!!!!!!!!! So here are the details - Arrived on Fr at 8pm to ice cold room (no more than 30 degrees I would bet!). Heater was off and when turned on, did not heat room after a lengthy period. Problem was not resolved until about 12 mid by the nite clerk who tried other rooms until we finally found one that was warm. Clerk agreed we could at this late hr. leave the balance of our belongings in the first rm and get everything in the AM w/o being charged for the 2nd rm (which we never used). Next morning, the first clerk was back at the desk. I told him that I did't want to pay for the rm since we finally settled in at such a late time due to their problems and not ours. He told me that I had agreed that the first rm was OK just before he went off duty. BULL!!!! Why would anyone say an ice cold rm was OK? On Monday, I called the mgr to complain & he told me that they were nice enough to only charge us for only 1 of the 2 rms from Fr nite. He wouldn't even relent when I told im that the nite clerk said it would be OK to leave our belongings in the 1st rm til morning at no extra charge since it was already 12mid. At this point, it turned into a sad comedy! I asked to speak to the GM/owner and was told that she would call me back w/in 48 hrs. Another ridiculous thought - having to wait 48 hrs to a return call to resolve an issue. 36 hrs later when I still didn't receive a return call, I called again and spoke again to the same mgr. He informed me that this Super 8 was no longer going to take my business because of the situation. Please remember that this was the situation that I was still trying to resolve from my end. Bottom line again - very unprofessional operation from top to bottom with the exception of Kris, the one clerk who did help. I would never recommend this place to my worst enemy unless I really wanted to get back at him in the worst way. One hell of a bad experience on the grandest of scales!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OnTheRoad124
Reviewed October 27, 2009

When we first arrived at the hotel , we were greeted by a friendly and helpful front dek clerk.The lobby was very clean and nicely decorated for fall. We had reserved a non-smoking king sized room. When we opened the door I couldn't believe the beautiful view of the lake from our balcony ! We had no idea a lake was even behind the hotel ! The room was clean and it had a fridge , microwave and a coffee maker what a nice surprise !
The bathroom was nice and clean and it had a nice marble tile shower and floor ! The bed was huge and soo comfortable, you can tell the matresses are brand new !
We ate at a lovely restaurant within walking distance of the hotel.
The hotel had a free breakfast in the morning with a waffle maker, bagels muffins and danish.The hot waffles were so good !
We highly recomend this motel. We have stayed at several hotels in Sturbridge and this hotel far beats the ones were payed much more to stay at ! We will definatly be back !

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Based on the positive reviews on this site, I booked a night at the start of our vacation here. We traveled quite a ways, visited the Old Sturbridge Village and then went to check in before heading up to Maine.

The front-desk clerk was not there when we first arrived and we had to wait about 10 minutes. He was very very nice. He knew that I had young kids with me who were anxious to swim and he told me that their pool had not been cleaned in more than a week and a half. He didn't know why, just that the guy had not shown up. He contacted a nearby hotel thinking they'd allow us to use their pool but they said no (he was very surprised at that). Then we went to our room. It stunk. It smelled so badly of smoke and just gave the general impression that it was not clean and not a good place to stay. My boyfriend said the bathroom was horrible. I never even looked.

We went back to the front desk and asked for our money back. The clerk contacted the owner and thankfully the charges were removed with no problem. And we moved on. Thankfully.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family