“Gina is the best!”

Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Reviewed August 18, 2010

With just a few weeks planning, my fiance & I decided to get married. Since both of us are working new jobs, neither of us have any vacation time. So we decided, again last minute, to get away for just a couple of days. When I called the Sturbridge Host about room availability, I mentioned that I was going to be married on the morning of our arrival. Gina went out of her way to find us great accomodations and hotel package. I have never dealt with a hotel staff person as friendly & helpful as Gina. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2010

Congratulations Newlyweds!
Thank you for sharing your special day with us. Gina is a great employee who always goes the extra mile to make people happy. We're so glad she took good care of you on your honeymoon. Best regards, Staff and Management.

Reviewed August 14, 2010

I stayed at the Sturbridge Host Hotel in April 2010 with two kids as part of a two-day visit to Old Sturbridge Village.

On the plus side, it is extremely convenient to Old Sturbridge Village, and situated by a pretty lake that looks as if it has some beach/boating activity in season (it was still off-season when we visited). The staff was friendly, the WiFi worked, and our meal at the Ox Head Tavern was unremarkable but fine.

On the downside, however, the interior was dingy and run-down. Perhaps it's been spruced up since, and I'm sorry if this review isn't timely, but our room (ground floor, near the pool) stank of mildew. I was tired from traveling, and didn't feel like making a fuss for one night, but it was really quite unpleasant. And, while it was nice to have the pool there, one of my kids found it too cold to be enjoyable, and the lighting was dim and depressing in the evening (too dark to read by the pool if you didn't happen to want to go in). Breakfast the next morning was strictly OK.

Not terrible, but unless it gets a significant makeover in the interim (the lakefront location has considerable potential), I'd try another option in the area before considering returning. Or maybe it's better in high season? I don't know. In early April, it was no great shakes.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your visit in April. We wish you had made a fuss, so we could have placed you in a more comfortable room. Even though it's only one night, we want that night to be filled with pleasant memories. We hope you will give us another chance to make it up to you. Please stop by the next time you are in the area and mention Trip Advisor, and we will make sure your stay is a pleasant one.

Reviewed August 7, 2010

Used this hotel as a base to visit Six Flags New England in Springfield. Unless you intend to visit the 'village' there is not a lot else to see. The hotel is huge but when we where there very quite. Never saw more than two or three other guests. The Ox Head Tavern was good value to eat but it closed at 10pm.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2010

So sorry that you missed the amenities that we offer at the hotel, like; paddle boats, horseshoes, volleyball, the beach and the lake and much more. We are also centrally located off of major highways with several attractions just a short drive away. Please check with the front desk where they have numerous options of things to do in the area. Thank you.

Reviewed August 6, 2010

On the plus side: near sturbridge village, restaurants nearby, helpful staff, quiet location off the highway.
On the negative, the hotel was virtually deserted on the day/night we stayed. Bar
supposed to be open at 5pm but we could not find someone to get us a
drink. The double pane windows in our lakeside room were cloudy from unrepaired
leakage so you saw the lake through a "glass fog". Room had no luggage rack.
Might well be good for families with children because of pleasant lake beach.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. The summer offers a wide array of activities both at the hotel and in the surrounding area. Numerous restaurants within a 5 minute drive. Shopping abounds, from antiques to modern jewelry. The hotel offers a beach, swimming in the lake or the pool, paddle boats, horseshoes, volleyball and more.

Reviewed July 22, 2010

We were planning our wedding from NJ at the Host in Sturbridge Mass. One would think that would be rather difficult to do. However, with Lise handling all of the details at the Host and my family helping me out it was completly painless.

It was 1/2 hour before my ceromony was to begin and it dawned on me like a LEAD BALLOON my DJ was no where to be found. Lise (the BEST wedding coordinator EVER from the host, yes she is part of the package) sent me to my beautiful bridal suite and made some phones calls... She came back shortly after telling me she called my DJ and there was no answer... She got me ready to walk down the aisle and disappeared. She told be not to worry that everythingwould be fine. Think about dealing with that on what is supposed to be the best day of your life. I walked down the aisle, married my best friend. As we walked down the aisle to greet our guests, she handed me a card. She found me a NEW DJ!!! He was there within the next 1/2 playing music for our cocktail hour. Can anyone ever imagine a wedding without a DJ????????

Not only was Lise AMAZING!!!! The staff was great, polite, professional!!! I could not have asked for a better outocome for the most important day of my life. The food was amazing, the views were breath taking. Our guest couln't believe how wonderful the day was!!
!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2010

Dear Newlyweds,
We were delighted to hear that you had the time of your life! Thank you so much for sharing your wedding day with us! We'd love to have you back sometime.

Reviewed July 11, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay. The desk and light in the hotel room were quite helpful. The internet access was reliable. In fact, I even saw a person using a laptop near the pool. That wasn't me. Nonetheless, it was beneficial that you could combine business with pleasure.

In particular, we enjoyed our second night on a Sunday. It was much less busy and loud. The wedding receptions and indoor pool excitement could be heard throughout the hotel on Saturday. Plus, there was much more parking and overall space on Sunday.

The best part was the convenience to Old Sturbridge Village. We had wanted to see the village, since it focused on rural MA. Fortunately, this hotel was just a block away.

Despite the higher price, it will be a vacation and hotel that we won't forget. I am glad that my husband selected the place. Based on the price, I would have not. However, in this case, he knows what will be remembered.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you had a great time. The staff here is trained to go above and beyond for our guests and we are thrilled when we hear from happy guests. We hope you'll be back in the near future. Thanks again..

Reviewed June 28, 2010

I was there for a bridge tournament and checked in before dinner. Generally it is sort of worn and dirty. All the drains were clogged, the A/C didn't seem to work well, there was an inch of dust on the bathroom ceiling vent. When we finally located our original room, it was in the smoking area. The stench of smoke was overwhelming in the corridor leading up to the smoking area and when we realized our room was in there, we didn't even go in but returned to the desk instead to get a usable room. The clerk kept telling me that even though I had very explicitly stated when making the reservation that my husband has asthma and we would not accept a smoking room, that they can not guarantee non-smoking when we are part of a group and have a block of rooms and that they had no other rooms available. I made it clear we would not stay in it and that if that was the case then I expected them to make other arrangements for us at their expense and that it had to be somewhere comparable or better, not the Super 8. At that point he 'found' a free nonsmoking room. The room was ok but the hallway outside stunk of smoke anyway.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2010

Dear Tyler's_Parents, Thank you for taking the time to let us know about the frutstration you experienced during your recent check in at the hotel. Even though requests cannot be guaranteed, we do try to fulfill as many requests as possible. When a person has asthma, they absolutely cannot be placed in a smoking section. Please accept our apologies for that. I will be attending the next Front Office Meeting and I will be sure to address "health concerns" to all front office staff. Thank you again for letting us know so that we may better focus our efforts on continual improvement. Sincerely, The Management Staff

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Hampton Inn Sturbridge
Comfort Inn and Suites Colonial
Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges
Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Sturbridge
Southbridge Hotel And Conference Center

Been to Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!