“Our Family Favorite Hotel”

Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I have read the posts regarding the Host that remark that this hotel is not up to par. My family has been staying at the Host for 20 years and in all that time I can honestly say that I do not understand how my experience can differ so much than other folks. I stayed there last Thursday and was treated extremely well by ALL staff. The room was very clean as was the entire building. Phil , (front desk),is the greatest and makes you feel so welcome. Although the hotel is in need of some repairs, (as most hotels do), it is overall well maintained. People need to realize that this is an older hotel and certain structural elements arise. The Host still reamains a cozy and charming place that beats any chain hotel by a mile. Plus you can't beat the beautiful lake it sits upon! My husband and I plan to return this Wed. because we enjoy our stays there so much. FYI if you have an opportunity, go check out the breakfast buffet. Foods great and coffee awesome. I want to thank all the good people who keep the Host going, they work very hard in each of their duties and deserve recognition

Room Tip: ask for a room on second floor with balconey facing lake if possible, you love it!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie E
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words of praise. We too encounter so many people who just love the atmosphere, the lake, the food, the staff. We are delighted that you took the time to let everyone know your happy memories of the hotel. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Many thanks to Phillip Dolezal,Catering Sales Manager. Wonderful job, excellent response time. Did everything we have asked for and more. Would highly recommend for your nect company event. Great location

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for noticing our great employees. It truly is the people that make all the difference.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stay here every year to bring our kids to Girl Scout day at Sturbridge Village. Every year we wonder why we do this to ourselves. The place is sadly in need of repairs and every year it's way too noisy at all hours of the night.

We stayed in an upstairs pool view room and the ceilings were all cracking and looked as of there had been years and years of water damage. The bathrooms were renovated yet the vanity was all warped and cracked. The bottom of the tub was black like it either has never been cleaned or it's a thousand years old. The hallway to the rooms reeked of cigarettes even though we were in a non-smoking wing. I'm guessing the rugs are ancient (they look it). When we sat on our balcony we discovered most of the furniture was broken (my daughter sat on a chair and almost ended up with wood in her keister). We were fearful of sitting on the balconies because the place just feels like it's going to come crashing down.

Having a room facing the pool means you will hear people in the pool at all hours even though the signs say it closes at 10 p.m. I've called in the past when after midnight there were screaming babies and blaring music and the front desk doesn't care. When we have requested lakeside rooms we have had drunk guests trying to get into our room at 3:00 a.m. I guess this is the type of people you have to share a hotel with when they get the rooms for 65 a night on Priceline (so I've read).

We continue to stay here with the kids because they love the indoor pool after a day at OSV. We also like the tavern that is outside the hotel. Dinners there are usually really nice. The hotel itself doesn't offer much in the way of food (and no gift shop/store on the premises - just vending machines!). The restaurant inside the hotel offers breakfast and a breakfast buffet on the weekends. It's convenient but their food is incredibly dated as well. They have nothing for allergy suffers myself (nothing gluten free or vegan).

I will say for kicks you have to check out the "gym" and "arcade" here. They are nothing more than hollowed out hotel rooms! The arcade has arcade games from the 80s (probably installed when this place first opened). It's pretty funny.

My wish for this place is that the management please spends a few bucks to update this place. It has so much promise and the location is terrific. Just needs a lot of TLC.

Room Tip: Lakeside exterior or interior corner rooms closest to the lobby are the quietest. If there's a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Bunnymum202

We are so sorry we did not meet your expectations. The girls seem to love it here so we do hope you will return. And please let management know if your rooms are not up to par so that we may make every effort to make sure you and your party are comfortable.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I walked in to the hotel lobby and frankly, if it had not been late, would have just turned around and left. The smell of chlorine made my eyes water just checking in. I asked the desk clerk how she could handle it. She said she was immune but interested at how many people objected. I had been assigned a room opening to the pool but was gracious enough to give me an outside room so I did not have to breathe it all night.
Hallway wallpaper showed signs of too many rolly bags.
Room was ok. The bathroom had been recently redone and the bed was good. Nice towels. Bedding good although the pillows were all foam and thick so hard to deal with if you are used to something else.
Bar was open so I had a salad for dinner instead of going out. All normal fare.
I did not get to enjoy the lake.
No coffee at 5am- nothing until 6:30. The clerk suggested I go to MCdonalds but with the "no left turn" rules, getting two doors away takes ten minutes in a car.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

So sorry about the chlorine smell and we were glad you mentioned it at check in so that we may have a chance to place you in a room you will enjoy. And all of our rooms are equipped with coffee makers for your convenience. Happy to hear that you liked the bathroom, the beds and the towels!

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We didn't expect much, and this place still let us down. Let me start by saying we Pricelined the property and got in for 65 bucks, so the price was right. But everything else ranged from "meh" to "omg." It's an old place, for sure, as was the rude woman who glared at us from behind the desk when we checked in (many people on Trip seem to love the service here, but not one person struck us as friendly). The whole place is rough around the edges, from the nasty chlorine-scented middle courtyard to the rooms with funky old carpeting to the tired mini golf course outside our window. Worst of all? Our room was directly outside a vile "smoking zone," a row of rooms sort of separated from the rest of the corridor by a set of doors. They were supposed to keep the smoke away from the innocent. Instead, the halls reeked of tobacco, cheap perfume and, yes, chlorine. Bad place. Stay away.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank EscapeDots

We are so sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Many thanks to Catherine in Guest Services who set us up with the perfect weekend. We hosted 16 Girl Scouts and their mothers at the Sturbridge Host Hotel for the Sturbridge Village Girl Scout weekend. The accomodations couldn't have been better! The girls swam in the pool and our rooms were perfectly situated to be close to all of the activity. Catherine was a pleasure to work with and very accomodating to our changing needs. Thank you!

Room Tip: Depends on your needs. We had many young girls so the pool rooms were perfect.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

We were so pleased to hear what a wonderful time you and the girls had here at the Sturbridge Host Hotel. We were delighted to have you stay with us. And thank you for noticing our great employee; it truly is the people that make all the difference. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for the MA Respiratory Therapy conference. I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past for the same conference. Everytime I've stayed here I've found the service to be very good, the people at the front desk to be very helpful and the set up of the hotel and conference area to be great. The only problem I've ever encountered had to do with, what I felt, was an over zealous Security Guard. He knocked on my door at 4:30pm and told me there had been a noise complaint, I informed him and showed him that I was the only one in the room and that perhaps he was looking for a different room. He told me to "keep it down" and left. Other than that isolated incident, I have always enjoyed going to this hotel, look forward to returning and would highly recommend it to anyone going to Sturbridge.

Room Tip: The rroms overlooking the pool area are nice, but can be pretty loud if a convention is going on.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bob H
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your time here. We're delighted to host this conference every year. We appreciate you letting us know about the zealous Security Guard. Appropriate management has been notified and corrective action has been taken. We look forward to hosting this event next year. Thanks again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Sturbridge
Hampton Inn Sturbridge
Hampton Inn Sturbridge
#4 of 14 in Sturbridge
Southbridge Hotel And Conference Center

Been to Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!