“Best Sturbridge Resort”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Framingham, Massachusetts
“Best Sturbridge Resort”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

After several years of staying at various Sturbridge hotels to celebrate our wedding anniversary, I found my favorite hotel! I got a Priceline express deal here and I was not disappointed! This resort is the best hotel in the area. I had called a week in advance to ask for a 2pm checkin and Carrie was so wonderful when she found out it was our anniversary. Carrie and Jason at the front desk were awesome when we checked in! The best customer service ever. We eat lunch and dinner at the Oxhead Tavern, Stacy our lunch waitress told me they would have a great table for us that evening. We watched sports at the bar inside the hotel and it was great. We ate breakfast buffet which was awesome. The room was spotless and the staff were so accommodating. The view of the lake was wonderful.
We are looking forward to bringing our son back there in the summer and staying there every year.

Room Tip: I liked 2nd floor lake view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know what a great time you had here on your recent visit. We look forward to summers too! We have a lot of outdoor space; the beach, mini golf, paddleboats, the peaceful lake...and the list goes on. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Finnish first
nect
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Nice time but the place is in seriously desperate need of a new maintenance team or a preventive maintenance program. Everywhere you look the place is is very rough shape!! Has very much potential but the obvious lack of maintenance does take a lot away from its potential charm

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank kkchief023
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We have shared your comments with our Executive Team for discussion and resolution.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have stayed here twice now as post wedding accommodations. The check in is always easy and I have never had any clerical issues. As you walk through you can be a bit surprised as an entire landscaped pool and gazebo area is in the middle of the hotel.

Try and get a room on the pool side. Each 2nd floor room has a deck which is great to hang out on. My rooms have always been clean and comfortable. The bathroom is well stocked with towels.

I have not gone to the pub that's connected to it but I have heard good things.

Will stay again

Room Tip: 2nd floor, pool side.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We are delighted that your stay was comfortable. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Oxford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was our second year to have our family meet at the Sturbridge host. We did some of the same things as last year, and made some changes to include more people this year. Once again we have nothing but positive comments to make. The new social director,Ashley treated us as family. Catherine made sure that all of our rooms were close to our party room, and Joe at the front desk( who I think never goes home) became invaluable for little things. The service for our buffet was wonderful, our server was Jennifer, and even the head of the kitchen stopped by our party room twice to be sure that we had everything we needed.

Room Tip: All of our rooms faced the water. We also rented the beautiful,spacious, presidential suite, and too...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are so pleased that you and your family had a great time at your family reuniuon. It's a large property with a lot of outdoor space; great for walking, chatting and catching up on life. And thank you for noticing our great staff! It truly is the people that make all lthe difference.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have been to conventions twice at this hotel. Agreed, the view of the lake is pretty, so try to get a room with that view. And, the liquor store (independent) next door is very well stocked, but a nice lake and the proximity of booze a decent place to lay your head do not make. This old place has seen better days. One gets the impression that the ownership wants to take out maximum profit without putting money back into it. The wait staff is nice and works hard, but the food is nothing more than mediocre. The rooms are in need of sprucing up. Overall, a hotel and convention center that has seen better days.

Room Tip: Lake view if possible. Avoid the rooms at the rear of the hotel near the large propane tank. If it b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Odysseus121
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. Indeed the lake is beautiful and serene; a nice litte getaway! Try one of our "Getaway Weekend" packages and forget about the world for a little while.

Travelers are raving about these Sturbridge hotels

Massachusetts
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Someone once told me if you make someone happy they tell nobody but if you make them mad they tell everyone.

I am sitting here reading the negative comments and I don't find that to be true.

My daughter was married Oct 4th at the hotel. It had a few hic-ups but overall it was a great experience. Ashley is a dream to work with, I don't think that young girl has no in her vocabulary. Every request I had she maybe hesitated but said ok, I can do that--and then she did. The Host is lucky to have her.

We arrived Thurs to a beautiful day, had the rehearsal, walked across the parking lot to the Oxhead, thank you Ray for making that so easy too. The food was great and we were given the screened in back porch to give us privacy.

Walked back across the parking lot and enjoyed the firepit with the out of town guests that came in a day early. Really nice to just park your car and leave it there for the weekend.

Friday woke to rain-pouring rain. Weather man said 82 and zero chance of rain. There went the wedding by the gazebo, outside cocktail hour with the table and white linens that are on the website. It did stop raining by noon but then everything was soaked. Ashley took control and moved our event inside.

Glen Barr did a wonderful job up lighting the room. It looked lovely, he was very easy to work with and went above and beyond. Thank you Glen

FOOD-FOOD-FOOD We had many people there working in the restaurant industry. I heard all praise. My only regret is I didn't get the Apple Cranberry Stuffed Chicken Breast, my prime rib was great but I am still hearing about the chicken.

Rooms- We had about 70 rooms and I heard no complaints. Yes, maybe a little outdated but very clean and nothing negative that I heard. It was very nice to walk from the reception to your room and not have to worry about drinking and driving. The front desk staff, mostly dealt with Catherine, thank you.

Yes, that would be my new son in law that Deb mentioned in the previous post that got kicked out of the lounge. I just missed that when I walked in but heard ALL about it. People were very quietly sitting around just talking. They were not loud at all. I don't know how to respond to what happened. Maybe she was having a bad night. I don't know. Unfortunately when I see someone a few weeks later that is what they are still talking about. Not all the wonderful things before.

Overall would I recommend this venue to anyone. Yes, and Ashley is the reason. She handled things effortlessly. thanks, for a job well done Sally

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sally1818
Thank you for letting us know how pleased you were with the hotel for your daughter's wedding. We were delighted to hear that all of your guests loved the food and of course, Ashley - she's a wonderful wedding coordinator. Thank you and we are happy that all went well for your daughter's Big Day!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This hotel benefits from a nice position by Cedar Lake,we didn't get to see that from our room we had the crazy golf course but hey ho. Our room was on the odd side;it had two levels.... the lower part containing a couch that you literally fell through if you sat on it and the decor was a tad tired.The bed was a decent size but the pillows were ridiculously small.It took quite some doing to get a few more and I am sure the person who eventually delivered them expected a tip. My tip? Don't have such silly pillows.There was a mix up over the time our breakfast was due to be served to our tour party and I don't think the hotel covered themselves in glory in the way that was handled.The staff on the front desk were nice but the best bit about our one night here was the photos we took of the lake when we left the following morning.

Room Tip: Try and secure a lake view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
The lake truly is beautiful, especially with the reflection of all the colored leaves...And thank you for noticing our great staff.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Publick House Historic Inn
Days Inn Sturbridge
Days Inn Sturbridge
#13 of 14 in Sturbridge
Southbridge Hotel And Conference Center

Been to Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!