“Great meeting facilities....lousy rooms and bar”

Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here for a business meeting, first time stay. Overall if I was just staying here for a night it would shift my review to 1.5 stars. The meeting we had was really good and the board room level seating was fantastic. All rooms were comfortable and service was really good. We also did our lunch and dinners at the hotel and the food was excellent. I do want to mention we went in April and it is still too cold to use the outdoor facilities but the place is right on the lake. Wish we could of been here a couple of months later.

My room was poor....I would never stay here if given the choice. Old and tired is the best way to put it, bed was very uncomfortable. First morning upon waking up there was no hot water....assumed I could wait a few minutes and try again, still nothing. First cold (and I mean cold) shower I've had in awhile :(. Staff said it shouldn't of been but numerous people in my party had same issue.

Pros: service, meeting facilities, hotel food

Cons: bar was way overpriced (4.75 for a beer.....really?), rooms are old and outdated. Beds were horrible to sleep on, old analog tv's, no hot water for shower!!!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NEFANMAN
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. We were happy to hear that overall you enjoyed yourself. Hopefully you will come back during the summer as we have live bands playing on the beach every Friday & Saturday nights. It's a blast!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

At $320 a night (breakfast and lunch included) I expected a nice enough room. When renting a room to four people - two beds - you would expect decently sized beds. The Sturbridge host has ridiculously small beds they didn't even seem like full size. Four women in a room, three towels provided, all full of long black hair from housekeeping.

The front desk staff were abrupt if not rude, and charged a debit card without authorization despite saying it would not be charged until check out.

Even when calling to confirm the reservation I was treated with disdain. I will be attending the same conference next year at the Sturbridge Host but will stay at a different hotel!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. We will be staying elsewhere when attending a conference at this hotel aga...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MaineMummy
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves in offering great customer service every day and we are sorry that you were not shown the respect that you and all of our guests deserve. We have shared your comments with our Front Office Manager and corrrective measures are underway. Regarding the pricing, the $320 per night included breakfast and lunch for 4 people which we hope you found enjoyable and that you were pleased with the food quality. And please accept our apologies for the towels; our Executive Housekeeper is investigating that matter. Again, thank you for you feedback.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I travel often for my job, and stay at many hotels, and at no other facility have I encountered the quality of service as I did at this hotel. I dealt with Chrissy, at the front desk, for most of my stay.. as I had a million questions, and she was more than eager to answer and very helpful! She remembered me throughout my stay and greeted me each time I walked through and asked if there was anything she could help me with! I will definitely be returning! Thank you for the quality service!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for noticing our great employees! It truly is the people that make all the difference. Thank you.

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for the hearts and harmony women's conference, it was nice for the event, I loved the rustic atmosphere , the room was nice but would not want to stay a long period of time, great fellowship with the ladies, was nice to see the ladies from friendship baptist ,

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your patronage. This is a wonderful conference which we enjoy hosting annually.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a womens conference for the past three years. Catherine and Brian were tremendous, They went out of their way to accomodate my needs. Hats off to both of them. They deserve recognition for their efforts and their friendliness.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Thank you for recognizing our great staff. It truly is the people that make all the difference. Thank you.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I've been here many times to attend conferences but this is the first year in which I've stayed here. It's an old place. It's no Ritz or W. It's not my first choice to stay here... or even my second... okay, nor my third. I'd rather stay elsewhere. The room is big, and it has a balcony. Cleanliness could be improved. I question whether or not the bed sheets have been changed daily. Like many hotels, I am always very wary of any bugs so I always keep my luggage zipped and closed, and I'm sure to throw all clothing into the dryer and let it spin with the heat high as soon as I get home.

Location is convenient, and the view of the pond is nice. The pool area smells. If you have asthma, this is probably not the place to stay. The staff at the front desk is very friendly though. As for conferences, there are plenty of ballrooms and arenas. I do not particularly like the configuration, as you have to walk a ways from the hotel rooms to the conference areas, almost like a maze.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank G L

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are easily accessible from major highways and easy to get around once you've arrived. Memorial Day begins our summer outside entertainment. Hope you can join us for live bands on the beach!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Chrissy at the front desk was amazing. She made sure that myself and all members of my party had an excellent stay. Would highly recommend this hotel as the accommodations and staff were excellent. Even during busy rushes the bar took great care of us.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay with us. We're very happy that you and your party were well cared for by our staff. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you again in the near future.