“Sturbridge Host Hotel: Dissapointing Experience”

Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Sturbridge
Boston, Massachusetts
“Sturbridge Host Hotel: Dissapointing Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed at the Sturbridge Host Hotel for two nights recently while attending a conference on a neurological disorder. The conference was attended by many people who had difficulty walking, and quite a few were in wheelchairs. When booking, I asked for a room close to the conference rooms, but was told that rooms could only be assigned at check in. Sure enough, at check-in time I was assigned a room two-thirds down the long building, up on the third floor, through two swing doors and an elevator. Given that I had to use a wheelchair twice, it was a challenge. The hotel front-office staff seemed genuinely clueless about the challenges facing disabled people. While the hotel does have access ramps, I don't think they have any special disabled facilities.

My room was reasonable, not completely updated but clean. Had a powerful smoke smell despite being designated a non-smoking room. Bathroom in good shape, bed comfortable. Heating by an individual wall-mounted heating/cooling unit that droned like an airplane on standby. TV picture quality poor, but TV was old.

The only really good thing about the hotel were the individual staff members. All the people I interacted with (housekeeping, bar, food service, room service) were unfailingly pleasant and helpful. Would I recommend this hotel to anyone with special needs or even a desire for an satisfying hotel stay? No.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Cedar Lake are the best. Avoid indoor-facing first level.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JadedInBoston
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Please accept our apologies for the lack of consideration shown to you at the Front Desk. Appropriate management has been notified and corrective, training measures will be taken. We comply with all of the ADA requirements and we strive to do whatever we can to help all of our guests in every way. Thank you for your feedback. We we will use this to help us better focus our efforts on improving ourselves.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Finnish first
Westerly, RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Attended a conference. Friendly welcome, Hotel rooms immaculate, daily housekeeping exemplary. Magnificent view of Cedar Lake from my ground level room. Exercise room open 24 hours. Conference rooms comfortable, Conference meals all excellent.
I arrived early to visit the famous "Old Sturbridge Village". Stayed an extra day ro give myself a treat.
Great dinner at the Oxhead Tavern, Delicious and piping hot meal, generous proportions, reasonable prices and cozy atmosphere.
Breakfast sendoff this morning in the Greenhouse Restaurant was outstanding...three cheers for Melissa, my server, Andrea, the hostess and the chef whose Minuteman Eggs...scrambled eggs with Cheddar cheese....were the best I've ever had.
As a female traveling solo I felt comfortable and secure. I look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: Lake view room is my favorite but, ask to be near the spa or the pool or whatever is important
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind appraisal of our hotel and staff. We're so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for a week in August while she attended a Sturbridge village camp. We got a package deal because of the summer camp. After reading some of the reviews here, I wasn't expecting much - but was very pleasantly surprised.

No, it is not a 5-star hotel. But I didn't expect anything like the amenities that they had for the price we paid - paddle boats, nice little private beach, miniature golf, lovely themed indoor pool, exercise room, and even a tiny game room. Breakfast was included in the package, and it was not a stale-doughnuts-and-cereal-help-yourself-arrangement, either. They served my 8 year old bowls of fresh fruit and berries, waffles, and eggs that met even her exacting standards (picky!), and had enough variety for me (I particularly loved their Eggs Benedict) that I never followed through on my original plan to try some of the other breakfast restaurants nearby. I thought the coffee was too strong, but I believe it was Starbucks' so that probably puts me in the minority.

The staff at the front desk, in the restaurant, and the room cleaners could not have been friendlier or more helpful. Yes, the hotel is showing its age, but it is clean and comfortable and kept at a comfy temperature. We had a balcony room overlooking the very quiet grounds and within view of the lake, where we hung out and watched a family of ducks wandering about in the morning. Some minor mechanical problems with the room were attended to instantly.

I hope they don't update the place! I probably wouldn't be able to afford it once they did, and I definitely want to go back for next year's trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank May W
Narragansett, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just stayed at the Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center. Nice little New England retreat. The services was great, rooms could use a little updateing, but over all, good value for the $. Complimentary coffee, other than this little mini-coffee maker in the room would be a nice added amenity, but would definately stay there again. Conveniently located just outside historic Sturbridge Village. Lots to do in the area, especially for a family w/young kids. Big indoor pool area to keep everyone occupied for an hour or two.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We're delighted that you and your family enjoyed yourselves here. Kids do love that pool; especially during the colder months. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Bethel, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I am writing this review in hopes that the people from the Sturbridge Host read it. I have been making an annual trip to Sturbridge for the better part of 30 years. First with my parents, and now with my own family, parents and my sisters family. We have only stayed at the Host. We have now moved to the Comfort inn, and this is why.....
While the location (on the lake in the heart of the town), and the courtyard ambiance with a great pool and indoor balconies can't be beat, the rooms are beyond unacceptable. Stains on carpets, wallpaper peeling from walls, cigarette burns in comforters, water stains in the ceiling of the bathrooms, uncomfortable beds and pillows, squeaky slider doors, peeling paint on balconies, etc etc have Forced us to search else wear. My wife refused to stay there again, even though we both felt a connection of nostalgia.
To the owner of the Host, PLEASE fix this. I realize the cost of a mass renovation is extreme, but you have lost 3 customers who booked annually to the Comfort Inn. Based on reviews, something tells me you are going to lose a lot more.
In its Hay Day, this was a Great hotel. I am so saddened to see the state in which it stands today.

Room Tip: Hang up with the Host and call the Comfort Inn.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rich M
We are so sorry to have disappointed you. We have shared your comments with our Executive Team. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Sturbridge hotels

Roslindale, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I would never stay again in any room that faces the pool/restaurant area. It is extremely noisy and poorly soundproofed. Weddings, parties, and people just hanging out and making noise throughout the night made it impossible to sleep without earplugs.This is a very poor design for a hotel. I can't speak to any of the rooms that do not face the interior--presumably they are better.

Room Tip: Don't stay on interior!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Please accept our apologies for not being able to sleep due to noise. Had we known, we could have moved your room to another area of the hotel. We certainly hope you will give us another chance. Most people really like the lake view rooms.
south wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our tour. Staff were very welcoming. The rooms were big, clean and bed was very comfy. We ate at the Tavern which was really busy but very nice. It must be a hotel thing in the USA but the hotel bars close really early so bit disappointed that we couldn't have a drink after 11pm. Breakfast was very nice and overall I would recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for recommending our hotel. We're very happy that you enjoyed your time here in New England and we hope you will stay with us again if you are ever in the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges
#5 of 13 in Sturbridge
Days Inn Sturbridge
Days Inn Sturbridge
#10 of 13 in Sturbridge

Been to Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!