“Caters to mostly groups”

Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
“Caters to mostly groups”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I luv the host hotel! You have a beautiful balcony viewing the lake. And the grounds are nice. But the pool was very small, the staff not very nice. The balcony felt like it would almost fall! There was spider webs everywere! To use the paddle boats on the lake is a fee of $8 I mean cone on we are paying for the rooms and admenidies! The host caters to groups because they are always setting up for groups and half of the hotels is rooms for groups. The greenhouse for breakfast gets crouded so you are going to have to wait but the foo is good. The beach is always closed in the lake of our stay. The Sturbridge package was a good value and the rooms were cheap. Overall I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We pride ourselves in offerring excellent customer service and we apologize that the staff you encountered was not very nice. As we continuously strive to improve ourselves we will certainly concentrate on customer service. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Finnish first
Litchfield
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I read some of the reviews and had to add my feelings about this hotel. Someone else took care of booking this hotel so I didn't have the chance to look over the information about Sturbridge Host Hotel. I thought that being in Sturbridge would pretty much guarantee a quality hotel. I was wrong. Upon first entering the lobby, I was struck by how dated and rather shabby the interior looked - rather dark. The entrance isn't really welcoming and there are display cases along the walls - one was decorated for Halloween (odd for August). Because the hotel is near a lake, I requested a lakeside room. Immediately upon entering the room, I felt disappointed. There was a glass sliding door out to the sitting area - one of those with a rod that is set in place to lock. The glass had not been cleaned and there was mold at the top of the door frame. The room seemed to have had a facelift - new carpet and new bed linens - but the desk chair was worn and torn, the ironing board ripped, and general outdated furniture. I can't stand florescent lighting - all the lamps were florescent. Oddly, the bathroom sink top was marble or corian but really looked funny as the rest of the bathroom looked like your typical cheap motel. I will say that the bed was really comfortable, but hearing noise from the other room during the middle of the night didn't help. Styrofoam cups for coffee, cheap little coffee maker with no tea option (I don't drink coffee) and an envelope to tip the cleaning staff didn't impress me. If I had paid for this room, I would have been really upset, but because it was a business trip, it was more of a disappointment. And, unfortunately, I do have to mention the restaurant. Their restaurant is located within walking distance to the hotel and while it was nice sitting out on the patio overlooking the lake, I thought the food was really bad. I ordered pasta primavera thate was smothered in a thick sauce, vegetables overcooked. I've never been served primavera with an orange slice as a garnish. Sorry to be so blunt, but unless you have kids and want a cheap hotel near a lake offering paddle boats, I'd stay elsewhere in Sturbridge.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank santafegal54

Travelers are raving about these Sturbridge hotels

Hebron, Kentucky
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We drive here 4 or 5 times a year at a 1000 miles to get here you bet the hotel better meet our needs - For years we travel from Kentucky to watch my son play footbal and this place is our regular destination- My wife rivals Martha Stewart for being particular and we have only had one stay that was sub-par. This is a decent older hotel that is safe comfortable and clean. The pool and hot tub is fine - the putt putt outside is nice for the little ones. The restaurant at the end of the parking lot (picadillys) has top shelf fish and american fare. we had the Pan Mass bicycle race stay the night with hundreds of followers and it was Not Noisy. fitness center could add some free weights or a newer machine but that is little inconvienence

1 Thank SteveOldiges
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your view of our hotel. We are delighted that you've made us your home away from home! We're looking forward to serving you again in the near future.
Hannibal, Missouri, USA
Reviewed August 14, 2011

The front desk people were very nice and accomodating, but there's just something "off" about this hotel that I can't put into words. The pool is great and my kids absolutely LOVED it and said it was THE BEST pool during their stay. I think the problem is maybe that we were stuck in the handicapped room. The bathroom was kind of scary, as were the towels, all two of them for the 4 of us. There was no counter at all in the bathroom and therefore no place to set anything except on the floor. The doors, trim and wall coverings either need a good washing or need to be painted or replaced. I also did not like having a room without a window. We were on an interior hallway that opened up into the pool atrium on the first floor and we had no way of knowing the weather, short of walking outside and seeing for ourselves. I doubt I would stay here again, but I know my kids would definitely pick this hotel first. Also, the restaurant for dinner was excellent. They gave away passes for free kids meals and we all enjoyed it. I think this place is really trying to do the best they can with what they have to work with and I commend them on that.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. Please accept our apologies for placing you into a handicapped room. There are fewer counters and shelves to have enough room for a wheelchair. We were thrilled though that the kids love the hotel and the pool and that you enjoyed our restaurant. Next time we'll have to give you a "lake view" room.
Jonestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We spent two days at this hotel and had a wonderful time. The staff makes you feel very welcome. On Saturday night they even had live music next door right at the lake and it was just great.
The hotel is old but the rooms are nice size and clean. Our room overlooked the waterfront and gardens very nice. The breakfast they served both days was very good and so was the service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind appraisal. The people really do make the difference. We're glad you enjoyed the band on the beach and we have live bands every Friday and Saturday nights during the summer. Hope you can come back soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 11, 2011

You did it again. Thanks for making our stay a great one....again. Back in July, my husband took a day to go to the Brimfield Flea Market. It was extremely hot out and he was pretty well spent at the end of the day. As a last minute decision, he thought to try the Host to see if there were any available rooms. Being a busy week for Brimfield, he was almost sure he would'nt get one. Gina, was able to accomodate him for that night. He was very appreciative, as now he was able to go back to the Flea market in the morning.
We also had a function with our car club at the end of July and despite the very busy and full occupancy of the hotel, your whole staff managed quite well to please us all. The food was great, the servers did a wonderful job and our new friends were impressed as well. Everything went off without a hitch. Thanks again. Gina, you are the best!

full occupancy of the hotel

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for noticing our great staff. It's the people that really make all the difference and we're very happy that our staff took good care of you. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Ellenburg
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I have stayed at the Sturbridge Host numerous times over the years and am always very pleased with the accommodations and service. Their front desk/reception staff are excellent. The rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel is decorated with comfort in mind; and it is a place where you can go with your family to relax and enjoy your time together. The location of the hotel is perfect with restaurants, shops, and attractions all nearby. I will definitely stay there the next time I am in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you Ruth Marie! It's our pleasure to serve you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges
#5 of 14 in Sturbridge
Days Inn Sturbridge
Days Inn Sturbridge
#10 of 14 in Sturbridge

Been to Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!