“Review for dog owners”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Washington DC
“Review for dog owners”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I found this hotel through one of the pet-friendly hotel search engines so I thought I would write a review for all you dog owners out there looking for a decent hotel. The Comfort Inn is definitely accepting of dogs, but not 100% welcoming.

Before the pet review, I will say that the staff is extremely friendly, the rooms and common areas are very clean, and the breakfast buffet (although standard free hotel breakfast fare) is prepared with great care and attention. We have no complaints about the hotel if you do not have a dog with you.

The "pet rooms" are in a separate block from the main hotel and it is night and day in terms of ambience. They look more like a motel, and although they have been renovated with new windows, etc., the interior (bathroom included) is very dated. The carpet in our room had a patch and looked tired - if the hotel is worried about dogs, install laminate or tile flooring with a couple of area rugs. With no dog, we could have had 2 queen beds + sleep sofa in the main building for the same price - although they so no extra charge for a dog, in reality pet owners are getting short-changed.

There are doggie bags provided for cleaning up, but no trail to exercise dogs. With a busy parking lot attached to a gas station and restaurant, this does prove to be difficult.

For breakfast, we took advantage of the outdoor seating at the restaurant. We received permission to lift our dog over the fence into the patio, but if you have a large dog or it is a cold day, you will have to take a tray to your room or leave your dog unattended.

On this occasion we had no choice but to bring our dog with us. We would stay at the Comfort Inn again, but would not bring our pooch with us.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the pets-allowed block of rooms
Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AnnRB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Reviewed September 1, 2013

A nice gem, would definitely stay again. Clean updated rooms, stayed in the queen suite, spacious and well priced. Nicely located. A great experience from check in to check out. So happy I stayed. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013
West Brookfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 26, 2013

If you are travelling with young children,this is the place to stay.We had our 4 young grandkids with us so needed a suite. I booked online and reserved the same suite as our last visit with early check-in. The staff were delighted to honor our request. This hotel surpasses every hotel we have ever stayed in..and we travel a lot! The place itself is well designed and spotlessly clean and the desk staff are the epitome of gracious service. Having both indoor and outdoor pools is a plus and the towel stack was always full. Extra touches like all-day hot coffee and a bowl of fruit are a plus, not to mention the convenience of restaurants,Old Sturbridge Village, stores and a movie theatre. Our grandkids enjoyed the pool immensely and we loved the hot tub. The breakfast menu was varied and hot and the breakfast staff was diligent in ensuring all the selections were full at all times.We highly recommend this hotel and will stay here again and again.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with young children, suite 117 is well worth the extra cost for its convenient...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brookly, NY
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I had a one night reservation to split our trip from Maine back to NYC. I booked this hotel based upon previous reviews. Well, they were not wrong. I was certainly surprised upon pulling into this hotel parking lot. It looked to be so much more than the usual Comfort Inn.

The staff at the desk were very courteous and helpul in thier explantion of the property. The reception area and hallways were spotless and well decorated. I liked the location of the indoor pool-right off the reception area. Usually, one has to go down many hallways in order to locate it.

The room looked to be brand new with the carpeting, wallpaper, decor and flat screen TV. Very spacious and quiet. The bed was extremely comfortable giving us a good night's sleep.

The buffet breakfast had a tremoundous variety of foods. There were hot foods-eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, waffles. The cold foods ran from cereals to yogurts to fruit to muffins, toast and bagels. At least 4 kinds of juices were available-orange, apple, cranberry and pineapple.

Overall, our experience at this hotel was the best that we have had in a long time. I would definitely use this hotel again and recommend to my friends and family.

Room Tip: If you need to have a grab-bar to feel comfortable in the shower, book the accessible room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, NH
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had driven all morning from New Jersey, across the northern part of NYC and then North across CT and into Mass. I don't drive well after dark and I was passing through a construction zone while fatigued. I decided to stop at the next exit no matter what hotel was available. I hadn't made a reservation ahead of time as I'd originally planned on traveling all the way home in one day.

I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that they had two rooms left and would still honor my Govt rate at the late hour I arrived. My room was in the old part of the hotel. What you might think of as the old MOtel. It was a brick building complete with a screened door as well as a solid door. I swear I felt like I had stepped back into the 60s. Beautiful condition of the room even though the fixtures were torquoise and light tan/pink tile. The bed was marvelous and there was a very substantial mattress for my aching back. It was spotlessly clean and quiet. The room as well as the bath room were very large.

The entire property had been expertly developed. There was a service station, restaurant, hotel and pizza parlor all available. The parking was all on the inside of the circle of buildings and then between the parking and the hotel was a lovely set of painted benches around a large pool with a fountain. The regular swimming pool was on the back side in the trees. The hotel had a beautiful, clean feel on the inside and they served breakfast in the morning. They had a great exercise room with quite a few nice machines.

The entire developement had such a peaceful, quiet feel to it although it was a packed parking lot. I'm not easily impressed, but I was.

Room Tip: I would Choose one of the brick annex rooms like I rented rather than the multi storied floors in th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Long Island New York
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Wait, this WASN'T the Four Seasons? I stayed at a COMFORT INN AND SUITES? Well, I was certainly fooled!

Okay I'm not really a hotel snob who would turn my nose up at staying at a Comfort Inn...in fact I stay at them fairly often. But this one tops EVERY SINGLE Choice Property, no every single hotel PERIOD I have ever stayed at. If it was possible to give it a 10, 50 or 100 star rating on here I would!

We were only stopping in for a night following a long drive from our previous destination in Toronto, to our next destination in Portland ME. Had we known we were walking into a Choice Preferred Platinum Award Winning hotel (meaning it ranks in the top 3% of hotels within each choice brand), we would have reserved an extra night to explore Sturbridge village--if only it meant we could stay in the hotel one more night.

The staff is so beyond friendly--every single person greeted you with a smile, and not a single one ever made you feel like you were inconveniencing them. When we walked into our room we thought there was a mistake--we had reserved a 2 QB room, and were given a 2 QB Studio Suite. We found out after going back to the desk that we had been given a complimentary upgrade as Choice Privilege Members--which somehow also allowed us to get a free bottle of water from the Sundry Shop. The room was super spacious with a small kitchen set up that included a cabinet, mini fridge, microwave and sink, a large bathroom, a nice living area space with fold-out sofa bed and a small desk, 2 extraordinarily comfortable beds with a large flat screen TV, and a view of the outdoor pool (and maybe even a lake?) beyond the trees.

The hotel grounds themselves give the appearance that you're staying in a grand hotel. A fountain out front welcomes you to the hotel and provides benches to just relax around it, and there's a bar right off the lobby where guests can get a drink if they wish, which has an outdoor patio as well. There was also a quiet room called "the study," and a fitness center which we did not utilize. And the hotel also has 2 pools--1 indoor, 1 outdoor, as well as a hot tub...which all consist of saltwater, which is so much more refreshing than the usual chlorine pools. They were perfect and we took full advantage of our limited time with them (they all closed at 10 and we didn't get to the hotel sadly until 9). A wonderful safety feature in both pools which I haven't seen at any hotels since the 90s (when I was a kid myself), is a divider between the shallow and deep ends, which I think parents of young kids will love because the kids can't accidentally swim into the deeper section.

The next morning we went down to check out what the woman who checked us in had referred to as a "deluxe, continental breakfast, with eggs and waffles," served in the same room that had been a bar the night before. Her one fault was that she sorely mis-labeled this breakfast. She made it sound average, when it was anything but! Options were way beyond the standard fare, including: scrambled eggs and omelettes, sausage patties, BACON (which I haven't seen hotels offer in well over a year), both blueberry and regular batter for waffles, assorted Danishes, muffins and toast, about 8 or 9 cereal options including obscure ones i've never seen at hotels, like Cocoa Krispies and Apple Cinnamon Cheerios, the usual apples and bananas with seasonal sweet peaches and nectarines (again something I've never seen), regular yogurt, full-size tubs of GREEK yogurt, and full-siue tubs of ORGANIC yogurt (another never before seen thing), coffee, and 4 juices: apple, orange and cranberry, and again the never before seen elsewhere, pineapple juice. I ate like a queen!

The hotel is also exceptionally well located! The same parking lot provides guests with a Wendy's, Cracker Barrel, Shell Gas Station, Dunkin Donuts and Subway. And two miles up the road mac, there's a cluster of shops including a Walmart, Stop and Shop, Michael's, Marshall's, Famous Footwear and Payless, as well as an Applebee's and UNO Pizzeria. Sturbridge Village is supposed to be only about 5 minutes away or so, but I can't attest to that since we weren't able to go there.

We will FOR SURE plan more trips in the area though just so we can stay at this hotel. This was without a doubt the most phenomenal stay we've had at any hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The staff at the hotel were very welcoming and our suite was super. It had two queen beds, a settee, tables and chairs. There was an indoor and out door pool- we preferred the outdoor one and were able to find shade. we also made use of the hot tub.
the breakfast next morning was very good, Plenty of choice including bacon, egg, sausage etc.
it was also useful to have a very good restaurant- The cracker barrel next door.

Room Tip: I have not rated the spa as we did not use the fitness centre but the outdoor pool and the hot tub w...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Hampton Inn Sturbridge
Southbridge Hotel And Conference Center
Days Inn Sturbridge
Days Inn Sturbridge
#13 of 14 in Sturbridge

Been to Comfort Inn and Suites Colonial? Share your experiences!