“A great hotel to stay”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Reviewed December 29, 2011

It is no wonder they were voted the BEST COMFORT INN a few years ago. It is well maintained, affords the best breakfast, terrific atmosphere, and very clean room. We stopped in during the Christmas holiday and it really gave one the spirit of Christmas. Staff was amiable, wonderful pool, and exercise room. Would stay again on our way up to Maine and/or back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed December 10, 2011

This Hotel charged my card 4 times, while my family was moving from Maine to Florida.

Angela Height, the assistant GM refused, REFUSED to remove them, leaving us stranded, and her reply was she is not responsible, and after yelling at me, hung up !.

These are the most uncaring, incredibly unethical bunch and I warn all to drive right by and find anywhere else!

Room Tip: avoid like the plague!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank NaomiRagan
GM-CISC, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2012

I was away attending an industry related meeting when this guest initially called us. I was not personally involved until I received a voice mail from this guest and subsequently spoke with her later the same day. I cannot really speak to what took place with my assistant first hand, but I can say, based on a four and a half year working relationship, that Angela has always conducted herself professionally in all types of situations. I have received numerous compliments, about her friendliness, helpfulness and work ethnic from other guests, but never a single complaint prior to this.

I do sincerely feel sympathetic towards this guest for the ordeal they experienced. This family was utilizing prepaid gift cards they had purchased solely for use during their move from the northeast to the south. A move, even one that goes smoothly, is a very stressful time especially with little ones along for the ride. However, we did not place four charges to this guest’s prepaid gift card.

After a many phone calls and a lot of research, we found three very troubling discrepancies with this situation:

1. We did not have authorizations in our system in the dollar amounts listed on the guest’s statement. We searched our online credit card processing portal as well as called our processing company to verify this truth.

2. The guest’s statement lists the three unknown authorizations as coming from “Comfort Inn & Suites Sturbridge US”, which is a different description than we use. Our description is “Comfort Inn & Suites Sturbridge, MA”. This could be verified by the guest by looking at the line on the statement with our actual charge. (The one and only charge we actually made to the guest’s gift card.)

3. Any bank we’ve ever worked with will release a hold from an authorization once we state in writing the only charge(s) we will settle on. We did this at the guest’s request. Also, any unsettled authorizations are typically released in 5-7 business days. The guest stated she was initially told 7 business days, but when she called on the 8th business day to follow-up, this was changed to 30 business days. I have never heard of a hold taking that long to be released and I handle things like this for a living.

If I were in Naomi Ragan’s shoes, I would be very angry and frustrated too… primarily at the issuer of my gift card. That said, I know that anytime we haven’t met or exceeded the expectations of our customers that we aren’t doing our jobs very well. I committed myself to helping to resolve this problem. I followed up twice with this guest via email and never heard back from them.

Best regards,
Tory Pucci

Reviewed November 27, 2011

I would like to ask the Choice management why all Choice hotels aren't like this one. My husband is a Choice member & we've had a wide range of experience. This was an excellent, very clean, comfortable hotel. Good internet service. Great breakfast. Nice tv. Very good front desk staff. We were at the end of an 18 day trip to New England and Nova Scotia - we left our camera in the lobby. I called the hotel & they mailed it to us. I can see why this was 2008 Comfort Inn of the Year.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Everything about our stay was great beginning with the booking over the phone. The room was very clean and well appointed with lots of little extras like a mini refrigerator, in-room coffee maker, extra pillows, etc. Nice pool and hot tub, front desk was particularly pleasant and helpful, especially Alyssa. While most of the free continental breakfast was typical processed breakfast food it was an extensive spread with helpful, cheerful staff. We appreciated the Stonyfield organic yogurt and fresh fruit that was actually ripe. Easy parking and just an easy mile drive to Sturbridge Village which was the reason for our visit. Hands down the best hotel experience I've had in a while.

Room Tip: We had a room on the end of the first floor which was very quiet and also had a sitting area with sm...
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We came to the Comfort Inn in Sturbridge from just a few miles away. We had been without power for days and needed a place to escape and be warm and rested. The Comfort Inn welcomed us (and many other weary locals) and just made us feel so cared for. The room was lovely, the breakfast great, the pool wonderful, but the very best was the staff who made the experience so special.

Was this a one time thing? I believe that this is the special gift of this Hotel. Why? We had to stay there due to home construction a few years ago....again this same warm welcome and feeling of home away from home. This Sturbridge Comfort Inn has that special "something" that so many chains lack!

Were we travelling to a resort far from home, I would only hope to find a hotel as caring and comfortable and homey as this one.

Room Tip: We had a fireplaced suite....very lovely and romantic, perfect for our enforced staycation.
Reviewed November 6, 2011

My wife, my 18-month old, and I stayed in this lovely hotel on a weekend night in November. We stayed in a king suite, and were very impressed by the following:
1) Cleanliness of the rooms
2) Indoor pool and whirlpool
3) Wireless high-speed internet
4) Good selection of channels on TV
5) Excellent breakfast (included) in the morning -- Eggs, Waffles, Tea, Coffee, Toast, English Muffins, Muffins, Cereal, Bacon, Yogurt, Juice, and more. Very friendly staff at breakfast.
We'll definitely stay here next time we come to Sturbridge.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

My wife and I stay here every November when we come to the Country Folk Art Fair at The Host Hotel (used to stay there, but not any more). Very clean, quiet and the staff is very friendly. Love the indoor pool and hot tub. There is also a Cracker Barrel and convenience store right out front.

Nothing fancy, just a comfortable, friendly hotel experience. Prices aren't bad either

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Hampton Inn Sturbridge
Publick House Historic Inn
Publick House Historic Inn
#5 of 14 in Sturbridge
Southbridge Hotel And Conference Center

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!