“Not as good as I expected . . .”

Publick House Historic Inn
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
mexico mo
“Not as good as I expected . . .”
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I go to Brimfield, MA two or three times each year for the antique shows. This is the first time I have stayed at Publick House. We stayed in the Motor Lodge section. Of course the rates were inflated due to the antique show - that happens with all area hotels. . .

First the good.

Our room was large and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was nice in that it had two sinks, one in the bathroom with the tub and stool, and one outside in the closet area. The internet service was adequate. Everything was very clean.

Now, what I didn't like. . .

I had requested a first floor room - we were given a second floor room. We had to ask for a tv remote control and hair dryer. A nice young man did bring them to our room not too long after I called the front desk. The room did not have a refrigerator, microwave or coffee pot. We could have rented a refrigerator for $10.00 per day! The room had a small balcony. The sliding screen door was broken and leaning against the side of the building. The bedding and towels could have been better.

I will probably be looking for a better place to stay when we return in May 2011.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Virginia
Reviewed August 20, 2010

So I'm a repeat visitor to the Public House; my family and I like the area, prefer not to stay at chain hotels if we know of a nice independently owned hotel, and it's conveniently located for trips to visit family in Maine. That being said, I hadn't visited since December 08 and was looking forward to a return visit.
Some things had changed but I'm not sure for the better. Here's what I noticed: when making online reservations, the price for staying at the Motor Lodge (the motel part of the Public House) had about tripled in price. I often book online when making reservations as it allows me to look at rooms, figure out travel dates, etc. I'm used to having some options when booking----being offered discounts for AAA or internet bookings or reservations made a certain amount of time in advance. Not so this time! And the price increase had gone from $59 to $155. Whew! I knew it had been a while since I'd visited but hadn't seen such a sharp increase at any other establishment, especially in a time of a recession. This is the motel section that I was reserving not the Historic Inn.
Trying to be fair, it looked as though there had been some attempts at updating the rooms. The beds were comfortable, the furnishings and the bathrooms looked up to date and not quite as shabby as I remembered. But these were the motel rooms with external entrances! Not as nice as Hampton Inns that I'd stayed at this summer and more expensive to boot.
There are some nice aspects to the grounds---plenty of places to walk, different buildings, pet-specific rooms. I like having a restaurant on-site.
Couple of things bothered me, since with higher prices come increased expectations. Pool was open from 8 to 8; went to take a look at it and it was padlocked after 8 oclock. I understand it was closed but it just looked wrong. Tennis court had fallen into disrepair and had also been padlocked. When we went into the pool in the morning, the smaller section hadn't been filled and was roped off in a kinda sketchy way. Looked like it hadn't been skimmed at all either. They also used to have a check-in and check-out area up next to the Motor Lodge; instead you need to do so in the Historic Inn section. Inconvenient. Also miss the lights in the Apple Trees in the Orchard which always made for a nice touch. While I've enjoyed the food and service at the restaurants, there are difficulties in staying there with a kid---the upstairs rooms are a little formal for dinner with a little kid, the tavern downstairs (which used to be fine) has since become a little rowdier. They used to have a third option called the Orchard which is now used for banquet services but I remember as a more kid-friendly/family friendly alternative. Wish they'd bring it back.
Look, I understand the place is under new management and I think they're trying to make things nicer. Much of that is to be admired---it was getting a little down-at-heels and needed upgrading. But they're taking away a family-friendly motel, jacking up the prices, and not delivering on the prices so far. Can't recommend it as much any more. Sigh.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I was very disappointed with the accommodations at the Publick House Country Motor Lodge. The buildings are in desperate need of updating. The shower curtain was not cleaned. Signs of mildew on the shower walls. Linens should be tossed and new purchased. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank misskotter

Travelers are raving about these Sturbridge hotels

basel
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We broke our trip up to New England at the Publick House. Looking around the lodging options in the area, we were attracted to something that was not a chain hotel, and did not have the predictability of the other kinds of hotels. So generally we were pleased with the set-up of the hotel, it was fun to explore the various houses, rooms, coffee shop, and the stroll up and down between the main house and the lodges part (were the only available rooms) was fine.

What we had completely underestimated was the traffic noise that we heard inside our rooms which were first assigned to us. As some guest before us had broken the no smoking policy before us, we had to request another room, which the staff handled perfectly. At the time we requested the new room I also asked to get a room further away from the street, and they did their best to accomodate.

For future reference: there is one of the lodge houses that is further away from the road, if you request that one you should be ok.
The dinner was fine, the free muffins disappointing, but the coffee shop was right there to help out (at extra cost, of course).

In summary, I agree with the reviewers that say it is a convenient place to stay if you get a low enough price and you value avoiding cookie-cutter hotel experiences.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed July 24, 2010

First I need to stress that we stayed in the "country lodge" and not the historic inn. We checked in late on a Friday night. We chose this stop as it was our midway point going up to Maine. We followed the suggestion from this forum and brought the roomsaver.com coupon for $47 +tax (after calling earlier and assuring they had ample rooms avail). We checked in and found the inn very active. Many private parties and people in the bar. Upon check in we were given a key, a map, and a card for complimentary coffee and baked goods in the tavern from 7 -10 am. My husband took the kids to the swings while I unpacked. The lodge buildings are located a short drive in the rear and up a hill. I took a pic of the map to give you an idea. There are 6 buildings in total. Buildings 1 and 2 had alot of cars. Only 2 at our building #4. Bldg 3, 5 and 6 looked empty. There was a small gated pool located between bldg 1 & 2 that had closed earlier in the night. It was quiet, dark and empty. Never saw another soul - just LOADS of mosquitos. We were on the first floor with 2 double beds. My kids opened the sliding door and we saw that it had never been cleaned. Cans still on the floor. Inside the room appeared clean until we looked at the coverlets and saw what appeared to be old stains that never came clean. I can echo the previous reviews to say that the lodges are much in need of an overhaul. Yes, the wallpaper was in style in the 70s. It was pretty bad but added some levity. The shower had alot of discoloration and was missing the soap dish. I've been in hotels that were set for demolition and I can say that the lodges had that same forgotten feel. The single most item that bothered me the most was that when I awoke in the morning, I could see rays of sunlight coming in all around my door. No wonder people felt like they had bed bugs. It was undoubtedly the loads of mosquitos that came in and feasted on them. Would I stay here again? Maybe not in the lodge but definitely in the inn. If you just want a cheap stay for one night. Give it a try but don't pay a lot for it. We were fortunate as we had calm quiet respectful neighbors. There was no staff presence at the lodge so I can see how the wrong guests could change that experience vastly. On a final note, we opted to eat breakfast in the restaurant. It was not covered by the card but it was very delicious.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank neshanicguy
HAMPTON BAYS
Reviewed July 19, 2010

The first thing anyone should do, is read the history of the Public House. This can be found in the little black guest book located in each room. The history of the Inn, is a simple short page and a half. It gives the reasons for the Public House and how it has played an important roll in our nations history. From the early 1740's to 1812 , to the present, the Public House has tried to maintain the status of a central meeting place for the weary traveler. As did the American Indians, Early Settlers and the famous George Washington, tracking the land and cutting through the paths, one can not help but get the feeling that takes you back in time.

If you have concerns about any member of the family, including the family pet , push that aside. I have never seen a more accommodating place for the pets to run! There is even little patches between the buildings that are inviting the pets to roam. Our little guys loved running in the nice manicured grassy areas and their favorite was at the top of the hill, their own little rocky hot spot. The Public House, has thought of everything and this is a hugh place. Respect the property and pick up after yourself and your pets, and you will get the most of what the Public House is offering you.

That isn't all, try the Bake Shop! I purchased several pastries, but didn't have much time to eat them. I had to wait until I returned home, boy was it worth it! They were moist, the "Cheese Danish", is to die for. If you like nuts, as I do, try the "Nut Twist"! The "Strudel", takes two hands to hold and is filled with apple, no guessing, the best ever!
For the man in your life, the Old Pub, is the place to sit and have an ice cold beer. Warm company and a cold brink, what more do you need? Lastly, the dining area, a warm face and a smile is the first that will greet you as you wait to be seated. I never found one disgruntled host or hostess. Honestly, time has been well preserved in the many dining halls. The food and wine list, a nice surprise! As for the Inn Keeper, to the staff and the house keepers, if you give a little they will give a lot. Thank you for doing your very best. There is no place like home and you have made this our second!

From all of us, not to exclude our pet Yorkiepoo's, Tatum Brother and Bobbie Flay, we sincerely appreciate your efforts. Thank you and we will see you next year...
The Klopfer's
Hampton Bays, New York

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank themotherschoice
Tucson AZ
Reviewed May 30, 2010

My husband and I lived in Sturbridge for twelve years and went back to New England for a week of visiting friends. We booked one night through Expedia and decided to stay for another night. The receptionist was reluctant to give us the same rate - keep on top of that issue if you are undecided.

Don't stay in motor lodge room 107 - until it is upgraded. We were moved to room 144 and given a third bath towel so I could wash/dry my hair. The new room had garish wallpaper - panels of deerslayer scenes in maroon on white paper. Colonists with swords and lances and running deer covered three walls, and added to the visual assault, the sliding glass door drape, had the same pattern. Yikes!

The groundskeeping staff could do a better job of picking up litter. Cigarette butts were in the driveway, papers, styrofoam cups in the woods behind the room. However, we had a pleasant stay. The room was quiet. We enjoyed the guests' breakfast in the pub and had dinner there on our first night. The employees were friendly and helpful. Room 144 is labeled "Pet Friendly."

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges
Southbridge Hotel And Conference Center
Scottish Inn Sturbridge
Scottish Inn Sturbridge
#6 of 14 in Sturbridge

Been to Publick House Historic Inn? Share your experiences!