“Very Nice visit.”

Publick House Historic Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Reviewed October 18, 2008

I was a guest back in July and thought the place was really nice.This place is all about HISTORY . It takes you back in time. I would stay there again. I loved the way the staff was able to tell all the differnt stories about how special the place is .If you looking for a place to run away and chill this is the place nice and quiet. The area is beautiful lots of things to do if you like history and site seeing. I would stay agian and would tell all my friends to stay for a nice weekend away.

Melisa Goodchild
Attleboro,MA

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mildew_8

Reviewed September 10, 2008

We did not stay in the hotel but ate in the restaurant. While we often came and enjoyed the Publick House meal years ago, this recent experience was beyond horrible. I feel I need to let others know as to steer them clear of a bad experience. The service and food were terrrible. The waitress not only forgot to bring us a bread basket, she likewise forgot to get me my beverage (a similar experience at the neighboring table), forgot to bring one of our appetizers which only after our inquiry did she remedy by bringing it along with the entree. Entrees were cold and tasteless: grey re heated not so prime beef, ice cold mashed potatoes, and from the freezer string beans and carrots! As dessert came with my Thanksgiving Turkey feast (a sad affair of sandwich slices of turkey over a lump of cold stuffing and the same cold mashed potatoes as my partner), our lukewarm coffee arrived and was finished before the arrival of the "pie", cold apples in a crockery with a thin covering of pastry. The waitress never returned to during the meal to inquire if anything was all right, if we needed anything, more coffee etc....Indeed only after the meal was over, when she saw our plates full, did she ask if we wished things wrapped to go.When we expressed our displeasure, she merely mumbled that was too bad. Clearly neither the management nor the help are concerned with providing a positive experience.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DolceVita_8
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We stayed here as part of a tour of New England in May. We stayed in 5 different places and we loved it. We stayed in the Motor Lodge part which was very quiet and peaceful, easy parking and the two queen beds were spacious and lovely. It even had a little deck for sitting out. Toilet facilities were fine plus towels etc. True, they didn't have a coffee machine or ice bucket in the room although there is a bar and bake shoppe on site, but the room was very clean and massive. We really loved it.

Breakfast was reasonable- little serve yourself pastries/ cakes from the gorgeous in-house bake shoppe plus several types of coffee-hot and plentiful. You could buy a reasonably priced hot breakfast which were varied- however, I'm not a big breakfast person. We had a meal one night in the bar/ lounge area- Thanksgiving turkey dinner- gorgeous, and fantastic service from Robert. A waiter who wasn't all about the tip- hooray!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2008

This was my 2nd time staying at the Publick House and, again, the service and accommodations were excellent!
Last year I stayed in a suite located in the Chamberlain House; this year I stayed in a one-bed room in the main house of the inn. Although the room was small, it was charming and cozy and clean. I was able to request a roll-away bed for my young daughter, at no extra charge. The roll-away was delivered promptly after check-in by a young man who had a good sense of humor about working in an old inn with no elevators and lots of twisting and winding corridors.
In addition to a very efficient air conditioner, the room had a small dresser, a large plush chair and a small t.v. The best part of the furniture was the large, comfortable bed which was dressed with awesome sheets, pillows and a comforter. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. The bath towels were plush and the bathroom was very clean.
I chose to eat dinner on the outside patio at Ebenezer's Pub. While the food was very good, the service was lacking. There were 5 or 6 tables on the patio, most of which were served by the same waiter. My table was served by 2 waitresses, who had no other tables on the patio but obviously had other tables inside. Although the waitresses were both very pleasant, many basics were overlooked, such as table settings and a bread basket, and I continually had to ask the waiter (for the other tables) for things I needed such as condiments and drink refills.
Despite the poor table service, I still feel the Publick House is deserving of an "Excellent" rating. The rest of the staff was great, including the lady who was working the counter at the bake shop.
I have already booked my stay for next year!

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank 04sox
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel on 8/8+9/08. We paid $94 per night, through the hotel's own website. We (2 adults, 2 teenage children) came to Sturbridge to visit family in the area, and chose this motel for the location and the pool. The buildings, and rooms therein, were worn and dated, but the rooms were, at least, clean. We had trouble with one set of keys (real old fashioned keys, not key cards), they did not seem to want to open the door to the room. On check-out, my husband overheard another guest complaining about being locked out of his room while his wife was out shopping--he was not happy! Our room was quite large, with 2 double beds that were hard, but not uncomfortable. We had a small TV, with quite a few channels, a desk/dresser, and a small table with 2 chairs. What we did NOT have, for $94 a night, was a coffee maker, a hair dryer or an ice machine. It's been so long since I've seen ANY motel without these amenities that I didn't bring my own dryer, and we had to buy ice and have coffee out. The air conditioner worked well, and wasn't noisy. Bathroom was OK, if a bit shabby. The kids thought the pool was OK. We did not eat at the Inn, so we can't attest to the food. All in all, the Public House Motor Lodge was alright, but we thought it was a bit overpriced for what we got, and it won't be at the top of our list our next visit to Sturbridge.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 11, 2008

We stayed at the Motor Lodge for a wedding. The reception was pretty nice and the food was GREAT! Our lodgings though were not impressive. The rooms were extremely out dated and needed some work. The room was clean though but very cold for May. We saw some of the suites at the Main House and they were very nice, a little cramped but that is what you would expect with a Historic building, that is why you are going there right? We would stay again although we would want to stay in the Main building. It must be pretty loud if there is a reception going on because the rooms are directly above. One of the suites that our friends were staying in had a there main door and a secret entrance from the floor below, it was pretty cool. The pasrties were delicious, looked as though many regulars(towns people) came to get there pastries and pies from the bakery.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 22, 2007

I live in Virginia but have family in New England and have often stayed at the Publick House as a stop-over on the way up to visit family. The Inn itself has rooms that are quite nice and worth the price if they have rooms available.
Most often, I've stayed in the Motor Lodge up the hill and agree with the general thoughts of those who have posted before. The Motor Lodge is slightly shabby and worn but still worth staying there (and certainly for the price). The rooms are a good size and rather comfortable. The last time, my parents and I booked adjoinging rooms (one for them and one for my daughter and myself) and the rooms are quite nice and a good value. The people who check you in and out are very nice and welcoming. One time when I was traveling alone with my daughter, they put us into a room closer to the office so I'd feel safer! The muffins, etc., that they put out in the morning are quite nice.
If you choose to go down to the other part of the property to dine, it can be a mixed bag. The Bake Shoppe is fabulous and I'd recommend stocking up if you can---particularly on the blueberry muffins. If you're dining at the pub, it's also quite good and the service has been excellent every time that I've visited.
The main dining area can is more chancey. The Sunday breakfast buffet is nice and their dinners have been good when I've visited. The Christmas decorations are quite nice. Breakfasts on other days can be a little more chancey---they often seem understaffed, the dining room seems very dark unless you're seated next to the window, and the food often arrives cold. I'd recommend staying at the hotel because it's convenient and fairly nice overall, particularly for the price, but might choose to go elsewhere for breakfast (after a stop at the Bake Shoppe).

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank teachermomVirginia