“Phenomenal”

Publick House Historic Inn
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Snuck up to Sturbridge for a weekend with my boyfriend not knowing anything at all about the Publick House and what a pleasant surprise! A truly 'rustic' hotel with so much authentic charm! Gorgeous old wide floorboards and post and beam architecture are everywhere in this hotel, and rooms are decorated to match the taste/style of the late eighteenth/early nineteenth century. The decor does not feel forced or 'fake' as it does in so many New England Bed & Breakfasts, which just adds to the overall authenticity of the place. We enjoyed a fabulous breakfast offered in the main dining room and equally delicious food at Ebenezer's Tavern, and the service and staff in both dining environments were incredible. There is also a bakery on-site, which I can't personally attest to, but, judging by how busy it was each time we passed by during our stay, I would guess it's pretty incredible.

All the makings of a wonderfully relaxing, romantic weekend getaway!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PublicHuman
There are newer reviews for Publick House Historic Inn

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I live approximately 10 minutes away from the Publick House, and have my entire life. As such, I have never stayed there but I visit for food very often.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful. Very well manicured, an "older" look that goes with the setting. They host weddings (my cousin was married there last year and it wen off without a hitch), and have a lot of community events, from monthly fundraiser dinners to scarecrow contests and the Harvest Festival in the Fall.

Their bakery is among the best. I personally recommend their vanilla cake with vanilla frosting (I'm somewhat of a purist), while my husband looks forward to his very own carrot cake every year for his birthday. Trust me, don't even try to share it with him- its just easier to get your own!

They make great cookies, my Boy Scout troop is particularly fond of the M&M cookies. They have a small sitting area in the bakery where you can sit with pastry and coffee. Many folks come in in the mornings just to sit and chat. My father-in-law is one of the "old timers" in town, and has breakfast there every morning.

They have two main restaurants. A more formal one upstairs, and the tavern downstairs. Expect to pay more for the upstairs. They have separate menus for each, but I've been able to order off either menu no matter which area I eat in.

When eating upstairs my hands down recommendation is the turkey. Absolutely excellent. Downstairs I go with the cheeseburgers, which are also great. Both areas offer pecan rolls and salad with Maple Vinagrette Dressing. Sounds weird, but just try it- you will thank me!

I like their apple pie for desert- served hot in a bowl, not as a pie piece. The only unfortunate part is that I am usually way to full to make it that far!

Enjoy!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Heather B
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I live in Maine, and I often travel to New York City. I started staying at the motor lodge attached to the Publick House several years ago, when I had to make the trip several times a month by car. This became a home-y place to stop, halfway on my trip. I have always loved the Tavern and the Inn itself, too! I feel like I am part of history there, and I like that. This feeling combines with personal service, and I feel welcome. Rooms in the Inn have been renovated one by one over the years, with special attention to color, feel, and authenticity (effective heating and cooling completely modern!).
I have found the food good, both in the Tavern, where there are cozy easy chairs at the tables, and in the Restaurant upstairs (they share the kitchen). Breakfast menu or buffet is fresha nd plentiful. Evenings, the bar in the Tavern, is relaxed with conversation and a tv. To me, this goes well with the revolutionary muskets over the fireplace.
Rooms at the motor lodge are spacious and also renovated in recent years. You can hear the highway on one side, but the view from every room is woods or the Inn's property.
The function rooms are lovely, and there are often weddings going on. I've never noticed noise. I wish I could get married here, but I already am married....
I recommend the Publick House with enthusiasm.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the motor lodge on the side away from the highway, if you can. I choose a non-corne...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Monica04039
Reviewed April 14, 2013

If you are "into" historic properties, you will appreciate staying here over other offerings in the area. I had a very reasonably priced room in the "Country Inn" off-buildings. The room was quite comfortable and decorated to match the period of the Historic Inn. The balcony overlooked a wooded area and added to the atmosphere. Coffee and pastries in the bakery in the morning were quite welcomed! Other offerings in the bakery did not disappoint, either! Dinner in the restaurant was also a pleasant experience- a great atmosphere, great food, and good people. The only thing I would suggest is that the check-in staff be a little more attentive to the fact that travelers might not have ever been in the area before- spending a few moments explaining what the facility has to offer, where things could be located, and what is available in the area would be most appreciated. The young man efficiently checked me in and handed me my key, telling me my room number, but I felt like I bothered him when I asked him how I could find that room- which is not obvious given you have to drive to a different area--he clearly wasn't interested in engaging me in a warm welcome to the facility, which I would have appreciated. Part of the appeal of staying in a historic inn is the history and I am accustomed to check in staff being enthusiastic about the property itself so that guests truly appreciate the property. Please do not misunderstand, this young man was NOT rude, just not engaging.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank anniemousebooks
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Attended a professional conference and stayed for 2 nights. First, the positives: The food was good, both at meals and the breakfast available in the bakery. The conference room was a good size, and the Public House was equipped for the necessary technology (powerpoints, microphone, etc). I can't comment on the rooms in the main building, but the rooms in the separate "country lodge" were on the shabby side. The bed, to be fair, was comfortable, and the TV worked well. There's also free wifi. However, the fan on the quirky heating system was so loud I had to turn the TV volume up very high to hear anything. Also, there was no luggage rack. On my second morning the water in the bathroom was brown so I wasn't able to shower. So, although it has some positive features as a meeting space, I wouldn't recommend staying overnight if the only option is the country lodge.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank megalley
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were on an extended trip and stayed at the Publick House one night on our way through Sturbridge, MA. The service at the desk was excellent. We stayed in room 111 in one of the buildings out back...second floor. The room was wonderful. Spacious, tastefully decorated, clean and quiet. The bed was the most comfortable we slept in on our whole trip...maybe on any trip we've ever taken. There was coffee and pastries made in their fabulous bake shop for continental breakfast, served in the pub area which is absolutely beautiful. There was a crackling fire in the fireplace. We will be back there every time we get the chance and will tell everyone we know how great it was. The best place for a great value.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank wendy w
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is a hard place to review. We needed an inexpensive place for a couple nights to transact some family business. We found this inn on the internet and it looked charming. Apparently the quaint rooms are in the inn and the surrounding area has several motel units which functional but not particularly interesting. They are surrounded by a wooded area which was nice. You are able to get a discount if you eat at the restaurant. We availed ourselves of the complimentary rolls and coffee for breakfast and they were from the onsite bakery shop and a cut above average. Our room was clean but could use some refurbishing. All in all it was definitely worth what we paid just not what we were expecting.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Frank C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges
Days Inn Sturbridge
Days Inn Sturbridge
#13 of 14 in Sturbridge
Southbridge Hotel And Conference Center

Been to Publick House Historic Inn? Share your experiences!